WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2004, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Manhattan, NY, USA

Hails from United States
Re: Cuppa Creativity, April 21

Well, I guess different strokes for different folks

Our own creation, the Baby Steps, is working I think, for me, that's enough. I'm not about artists dates and God jars.

auntchristine.com

Please JOIN US in this month's BABY STEPS JULY 2004
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2004, 05:26 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragan
...I mean really cable rates go up three or four times a year and there's very little worth watching on, but our libraries are continually cutting hours and consistently underfunded. What does that say about our culture?Faith

Faith... Good point! That new town library I mentioned is closed on weekends, as well as most evenings. Are people... especially children... reading now-a-days?

Oh, sorry to hear about the flooding. Sure makes for a crappy start to the day. I woke one morning. years ago, to find the waterbed leaked and flooded the rented apartment!

Rose Queen... TAW is an excellent book, but, like Christine, I have no desire to try to stick to it on-line. Just too much pressure for me... just those morning pages! I do go back to TAW once in a while for an inspiring quote or thought. Although this CC forum is very different than the morning pages, it has a similar value in that it gives us a place to clear our heads and to think about some artistic issues... in less time. Maybe I just get bored sticking to one thing, one book for so long.

OK... got the studio cleared out today. Anyone want about 45 unfinished and/or unsold paintings... hahaha! I did take an hour and finish the painting I started (in frustration over eBay) the other night. I actually like it. It's really loose (for me)... probably because I didn't really care! Talk about creating without fear... painting without caring what it looks like!

Hope everyone is having a good day, Nance
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2004, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Manhattan, NY, USA

Hails from United States

Is everyone from Indiana and Illinois (in the USA) online and Ok? I'm not sure where everyone is located. That region had some terrible storms and several small communities were very hard hit with major losses

Here's hoping everyone and everyone we know came through unscathed.

auntchristine.com

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2004, 07:32 PM
SF Bay Area, California

Hails from United States

Quote:
I'm going to expect every one of you to sign up for the next WetCanvas online Artist's Way group!

LOL! Although I've already placed my name on the waiting list for the next TAW study at WC, I have to admit that I'm getting more out of the Baby Steps than I did any of the 3 times I've done TAW (once with a group, once by myself, and one read through). I didn't reap many benefits from the morning pages as described, but what I have done is transformed them into a dedicated journaling time during which I write. The Artists dates only added to my clutter habit.

I think the reason it doesn't work so well for me is that I am more cerebral (is that a word?). I have no problem developing complete works or gallery exhibition sized collections in my mind, visualizing them in great detail. But I seem to never get around to putting pencil and/or brush to paper and/or thread to needle. That's why the Baby Steps and WDE seem to be working so well for me, because I need to have the courage to face up to criticism of my work, but more importantly, I need to physically go through the process of creating work and improving technique. Admittedly I still thumb through my copy of TAW and read a bit now and then, but I need to produce. I've had so many opportunities to show work in the last year, but I've had to pass them up because I do not have a recent body of work to show. It makes me feel so sad and selfish when I think of all the artists out there with large bodies of work, with education etc etc, who are hungry for opportunities to show their work. And here I am with oppotunities, but only a few completed pieces to show. I'm convinced that I'm on the right path because the opportunities and contacts keep finding me, now I just have to let myself do the work to follow through on these opportunities.

Does this sound as pretentious to others as it did to me when I read it? I hope not - that was not my intent.

Faith
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2004, 07:46 PM
A Local Legend
Grand Haven, MI U.S.A.

Hails from United States

When the student is ready the teacher will come. Interesting comments about TAW. Faith... page 50 "When the universe gave him what he wanted, he gave the gift right back." I have been in that position so many times it hurts... Offering places to show my work -- I don't have enought to show; offering a commission -- I'm not sure I can produce what you want; I'm moving to another state, come with me -- you don't really want me to do that, excuses, excuses, excuses because of my insecurity and low self-esteem. I agree this forum is helping but right at the moment I am also working with three other WC artists via e-mail on TAW. I've done it several times before but this time I can already tell it's different. Perhaps because I'm here too. Perhaps it's just that I'm finally ready to pay attention. We're only on chapter 2 so who knows how it will go for the rest of the time but chapter 1 blew me away. So many things came out in those morning pages and the exercises that suddenly made many things so clear. And they were things that I had thought about when I did the exercises before but suddenly I saw the connection.

As I said, we're only on week 2 so if someone wants to join us pm me.
Helen
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2004, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Manhattan, NY, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
And here I am with oppotunities, but only a few completed pieces to show. I'm convinced that I'm on the right path because the opportunities and contacts keep finding me, now I just have to let myself do the work to follow through on these opportunities.

Does this sound as pretentious to others as it did to me when I read it? I hope not - that was not my intent.

Not pretentious Faith. Sounds like the sounds of being slightly overwhelmed and I think you're absolutely right. Let the work flow. The opportunities will take care of themselves, just let the work flow.

auntchristine.com

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Georgia

Hails from United States

Hello all! Hope you don't mind if I jump in with you. I've been following the creativity threads for quite some time. And I blame you all for getting me on to TAW. I didn't want to wait for the next session to start as I wanted help now. Plus the old group was almost finished so I started on my own. Well its opened my eyes quite a bit. I graduated from design school just over 10 years ago and probably should have taken fine art instead as it was my passion. Lets just say I got into a technical field and the only drawing I did was on Autocad. So I've been ignoring my screaming inner artist for a long time. TAW really brought revelations. I'm on week 7. Still feel a bit stuck but to 'get myself off the hook' for doing realistic stuff I've bought some 'creativity books' and have been messing around with the abstract exercises. Its been fun but for someone who studied design my composition skills leave a lot to be desired.LOL! Anyway I'd love to get in on the Baby steps and the 'Overcome it Day'!

I've been working on 'Drawing on the Right side of the Brain.' I have drawing abilities but find her methods really help jumpstart my right brain. BUT. I never get passed a certain chapter. I don't know why but I get anxious and quit. I get as far as doing the chapter where you draw a corner of the room. Then I just chicken out with the portraits and that is what I want to do the most. So if I felt like I had to 'report in' maybe I'd be able to finally finisht the book! LOL

I love the creativity corner and because of you all I'm painting and drawing for the first time in many years. Thanks everyone and I hope I can be a part of the 'action' here.
understand the situation.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2004, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Manhattan, NY, USA

Hails from United States

Hello Char and you are very welcome indeed, here daily, in any of the Baby Steps threads, in TAW, in the monthly project, here there and everywhere (as my favorite Beatles song goes).

Quote:
I've been working on 'Drawing on the Right side of the Brain.' I have drawing abilities but find her methods really help jumpstart my right brain. BUT. I never get passed a certain chapter. I don't know why but I get anxious and quit.

I have had a similar problem with books. Several of the exercises in DOTRSOTB are very good at getting the eyes working with the hand, or, the eyes working with the creative soul. I'm like you, however, and I get stuck in books. It may be a concentration problem; I'm not sure. I'm a jumper-around. I like to take a little bit from here and a little from there.

auntchristine.com

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Georgia

Hails from United States

Quote:
I'm a jumper-around. I like to take a little bit from here and a little from there.

I can totally relate. I'm doing TAW, DOTRSOTB, a Pat Dews book, and Mary Todd Beam's book "Celebrate your creative Self". I think I might be stretching myself just a wee bit thin. That has always been my problem. I get bored too easily. I have the attention span of a gerbil I think.
understand the situation.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2004, 10:26 PM
A Local Legend
Grand Haven, MI U.S.A.

Hails from United States

Welcome Char, I can relate... have done Drawing on the right side of the brain, Celebrate, Pat Dews, Freeing the Creative Spirit, Drawing to God... you name it; I've probably done it. But I keep coming back to the Artists Way because the real issue for me is self-esteem; different techniques are fine and fun for that matter but I'm still stuck. Folks here are helping too. Just the fact that there are others out there dealing with some of the same issues helps. And Christine's baby steps are a brilliant idea.
Helen
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-22-2004, 12:19 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Philippines

I've been re-thinking the Overcome It Day... and perhaps that is too grandiose to jump in to for now...

How's this sound... we pick one reference image... something we all vote on... and listing the remaining ideas as things to do next, ie. 2nd runner up gets done after we finish the 1st runner up...

Anyway... we take that image, and we dissect it, we come at it from all sides, figuratively, irrationally, culturally, anything to spark us to understand what we are approaching... and when finally we are comfortable with that breakdown as a whole... we tackle it individually...

Now what I am proposing is... a sort of Socrates-like approach to the creation of a work. In the WDE's (which I am the proud father of...) we gave too many choices, and let the individual decide their approach. To me it was about not forcing the act of creation, but by taking the thinking out of it, and just doing it... Perhaps this will be the approach of putting the thinking back into it...

I am just thinking off the fly here, but let's say the winner in the vote was a landscape. There is so much to cover in that, naturally there is the technical side, then there is the "story aprroach"... or the Bob Ross method as I like to call it, where the trees are assigned names and the design and composition flow because of a purposeful placement.

But I am presumming we talk about our fears of this subject, and dive into the "I would start here..." or the I can't draw trees for the life of me, how do you do that... and at that point, we talk "tree" for the day... we show tree links, we make ourselves "tree" sick till it's 1+1 = tree. I know this is vague... but the doing will help chisel out the ambiguity.

Yes I know by the end, the reference will be second nature, and it's likely that we'll all be drawing, painting the exact carbon copy. But that's okay, we're not reaching for an altelier approach. We're trying to fathom what makes us stop, what inspires us to push on, and to do that together... think of this as fear therapy... not a workshop...

I know many of you do not want to be judged, especially when your confidence is low. I want us to build that confidence by solving the same problem we have all agreed to tackle. This way there are no right or wrong answers, this will NOT be about realism. That builds lifeless passionless art, this will be about overcoming your limits, your self imposed limits that you are either conscious or unconscious about...

I think this "art equation" will unravel your blockage, it will certainly be interesting, and you have nothing to loose but your fear... so come on in the water's fine!

I'll put up the poll at the end of the month, cause I would like to further discuss this... anyway any thoughts or questions... I'm excited, hope you are!

Bbby

Last edited by baquitania : 04-22-2004 at 12:28 AM.