Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink Joseph Clement Coll Study

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

You guys have inspired me to get back into pen work. It’s been a while since I’ve done it. Here’s an old Joseph Clement Coll study though. His “loose” technique is super tricky that’s for sure. It was great to study it…now putting it to use…that’s a whole other thing haha. If you don’t know about Coll check him out…he was phenomenal. One of my favorites in pen and ink.

Are both of these yours or is one by Coll and the other a study of …?
    I see what you mean about a loose style, nice!

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Coll is on the left and mine is on the right. You can see how tight and controlled he was able to get his strokes in the hand and on the forehead, etc… Mine lacks the sensitivity of the one on the left. You can see how he handled the edges in the cheek area as well…so good. I’m finding that closer knit lines in areas are more of a challenge to keep controlled for me. Mine is lacking in that cheek area for sure. His style is so deceptively difficult.

Yes, I know what you mean … but it’s always difficult to reproduce another artist’s work in exactly the same way!
    I’d take from it what you’ve learned (a lot, it seems) and apply it to a work of your own. :)

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Martin1974

Really interesting style. Thanks for posting!

Comments, critique, hints, suggestions are allways welcome.

Hoplite

Brush, pen, combination of both….?

Coll is certainly one of the greats and you have done a great job of capturing his style.

Charlie’s Mum: You are absolutely right. You do the best you can to learn from it and then try to apply similar methods to your own work. There’s a certain degree of randomness that can never be duplicated.

Martin1974: No problem glad it was interesting. Coll was definitely awesome. He had really phenomenal composition skills as well. Some of his pen vignettes are just killer.

Hoplite: I didn’t use a brush on this one at all, but I probably should have. I just loaded up the nib quite a bit and was heavy handed in the darker areas. I’m wondering if Coll did use a brush. It was hard to tell, but there are areas that made me think he did use one (on his other drawings as well).

outsidelogic

Love this! Coll is wonderful and you can learn a ton by copying his strokes. Can you recommend a book of his work? I have a couple of general pen & ink books that include a few of his drawings, but I’d like to be able to study more of his work (without sitting in front of a computer screen).

Glenn

outsidelogic – Sorry for the super late reply! This is the best place i have found for pen and ink artists. They have published a lot of fantastic old illustrators!

http://fleskpublications.com/flesksite/

Here’s a link to the coll book as well. Looks like one is sold out but I have both and they are great:

http://fleskpublications.com/flesksite/index.php?route=product/category&path=18_72

indraneel

I crossed my eyes and it’s in stereo, at least definitely the face and hand (except probably the middle finger). The hand definitely reaches out to you. The black jacket looked confusing and hurt my eyes. The pipe did not look right and seemed broken.

I’d say great job! It’s nearly perfect! I don’t know if putting your sketch in stereo was intentional or not, but it sure seems a fun idea now… take existing sketches and turn them to stereo!

indraneel – I have never tried to look at this in stereo! That is a really cool idea. You can definitely see the flaws in proportion when you do that. You caught all the major areas for sure, but there are lots of others as well lol. The goal with this one was to try to learn his technique. His method is so unbelievably difficult. He makes it look so easy, but it requires so much finesse and control. One day maybe!

icecoldart

Coll is on the left and mine is on the right. You can see how tight and controlled he was able to get his strokes in the hand and on the forehead, etc… Mine lacks the sensitivity of the one on the left. You can see how he handled the edges in the cheek area as well…so good. I’m finding that closer knit lines in areas are more of a challenge to keep controlled for me. Mine is lacking in that cheek area for sure. His style is so deceptively difficult.

I’m brand new here on WC yet I remmember your phenomenal thread on CA.org Jon! You’re one of my heroes :)

Anyway, you probably already know this but it’s somewhat always the case while trying to copy another artists work. They focused on differend things at the time of doing the painting.

While One is trying to emmulate someone else’s brush work or colour choices, the artists that did the original could’ve been thinking about how to make that eye more manly or feminine or even about a chicken sandwich for that matter! So I wouldn’t worry too much about that, your study is really solid, and I bet you have learned a lot from it.

Last but not least, your version has YOU in it and Coll’s work has Coll in it and that’s fine. I rather see someone’s interpretation rather than 100% accurate “forgery”. Have a great day man, good to see you here :)

White Pen

Hi@All

Thank´s for showing up J.C. Coll
                            I´m a Fan of P + I Comics too .
                            This guy has a fantastic work flow and dramatic compositions.
                            You did a great job on the copy through.

Cheers W.P.

Humor is just another defense against the universe.........On-Line Homebase........

if you try it again, do it upside down – might get it closer…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.