Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Painting therapy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Jollyttt

Hi all,

My boyfriend is in hospital in a very serious condition. I’m stuck at home full of worry and unable to do anything, let alone go to work. Either I’m going to drink myself silly or try and channel it all… so today I’ve sat on a 6 hours session letting the brush go.
        It’s as surreal as the situation we’re in at the moment, the tree is him, bare, alone, battered. The landscape is the variety of emotions and feelings and the alternating worry and hope, and the flowers are those elusive white cells he has such a lack of… The blue is antibiotics. Didn’t have the heart to try needles but you get the idea.
        Anyway, it might be really a bad painting, but it is my heart poured out in a form that is visual and colourful. It relaxed me doing it, it relaxes me looking at it.
        Let me know what you think, thanks!
        J.

kentiessen

A powerful personal painting! I hope all turns out well for you both- a difficult situation. Painting has always helped me through tough times-

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
            Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

Jollyttt

thank you :-)

A very poignant painting… wishing you all the best. Keep painting. ;)

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

Ron Francis

The symbolism and your text affected me deeply.
                    I hope all goes well. XXX

Ron
                    www.RonaldFrancis.com

AnnieA

Jolly, I’m so sorry to hear about the situation, which must be very hard. Turning to a creative outlet was admirable and the painting you made is full of meaning and beautiful too. Hang in there and my best wishes and prayers for a quick recovery for your bf.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                        [FONT=Palatino]
                        “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

ragtopcircus

Having a loved one in peril with nothing we can do about it fills us with emotions that WILL find a way out. I’m glad you found a constructive and beautiful way to channel them. One incident of road rage (that luckily did not cause an accident) opened my eyes to to just how powerful and destructive those emotions can be when bottled up.

Godspeed to both of you on this difficult journey.

Dcam

Jolly: thanks for sharing. Prayers and thoughts for you.
                                Your painting is strong and colorful.
                                I have a good friend who is an Art Therapist and she helps so many with various art activities. It seems like a good outlet for feelings.
                                All the best.

Richard P

This is a great thing to do to express your feelings and occupy your mind. Best wishes to both of you!

Jollyttt

Oh thank you thank you thank you all!

This is such a great community, I feel very supported, really thank you!!!

Phranque

Your painting is interesting and well done.

I hope your boyfriend recovers quickly. I’m glad you found a constructive outlet for yourself. Keep us posted.

Critiques and comments are always welcome.

Jon

it is my heart poured out in a form that is visual and colourful. It relaxed me doing it, it relaxes me looking at it.
                                                Let me know what you think, thanks!

I think expressing your feelings through art is a wonderful way of taking care of you and expressing your concerns for the man you love. I feel honored that you would share this with us.
                                                My deepest hope is that your loved one makes a full recovery.

Jollyttt

You guys are amazing, thank you!

Update: it’s gotten worse, then better. We still don’t know what is the problem and waiting on results of a biopsy. However… he’s really better now! allowed to come home from the hospital this weekend .. yuppeee!!!!

Earlier in the week I was in bits to be honest, couldn’t do anything really. So I picked up a brush and entirely ruined a brand new poplar panel with this attempt at bringing some 3d colour in my eyes – only second time I’m using liquin impasto, and I really loved it.

I have to come up with a way to recover this painting. It started with zero design in mind, and now of course I have to fill in the spaces between those traces of trees, not to even mention the background needed in the bottom for the reflection…
                                                    it might take me years to come up with a way of transforming this into a painting, but wanted to share :-)

love, J.

gergab

Nice! I believe painting is always therapeutic if we let it be therapeutic…

jnicholes

Hello,

I have a similar situation. I am currently in Portland, Oregon helping my Grandpa. He had major open heart surgery. I brought my easel with me so I can paint to feel better.

I know for a fact painting really does help us feel better when we are feeling down or panicky. It really does work. I did three paintings here in Portland so far. One is for my grandpa as a get well card. I used the Bob Ross wet on wet technique.

Anyway, I hope your situation gets better,

Jared

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.