WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Sculpture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#421   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2016, 01:14 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States
Re: The Sculptor's Stand

Time to kickstart this forum again!! No, I haven't had time to try the high density foam, but I have made another relief and my bronzes of "Pik L" arrive tomorrow, so that's all good. I've been casting the reliefs in a new (to me) material, a Smooth-On 50/50 resin that's black. You measure it by volume, but in my first three castings, I've gotten distinctly different results. My studio is always in the 60s (it's in the basement), and the material wants to be worked at 73 degrees, so I have a space heater and lamp warming the mold and the casting material in its jars. Measuring by volume is a problem because one of the parts of the resin is watery and bubbly on top, while the other side is heavier and obscures the clear plastic cups I use to measure so it's hard to see the top line. I don't know if the results I'm getting are due to the studio being cold or the measurements being off. Smooth-On products aren't usually that touchy about the measurements, but I just hate to waste more product, so I'm calling the supplier tomorrow for information.

In the meantime, this resin takes about 10 minutes or so to set, as opposed to the 3 minutes my usual stuff takes, so I started cleaning up my studio yesterday. I found all my counters!! YAY! Now to work on the middle of the room . . . LOL

What are y'all up to?
  #422   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2016, 07:40 PM

What do you do about fumes, being in the enclosed area? I have a fresh air mask and compressor for times when I have to work inside with smelly fumes. Glad you found your counters again! Now play! (oh, work!)

I've been working on my first life-size, a children sculpture, as you know. What about everyone else?

My website My Blog Join me on Facebook
  #423   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2016, 06:04 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

There are no fumes (none toxic) to speak of with the products I'm using. I'm asthmatic and allergic to everything, so I'm very careful to only order things that are safe for me. When I had my big studio in one of our barns on our old farm, I had an exhaust fan over the area where I cast. Now, I don't have anything except a wide-open basement. My basement is actually too cold to cast in, so I'm gonna have to use my clay warming box to heat up the mold and casting materials and cast upstairs where it's a little warmer (still not the 73 degrees the material wants, but if it's pre-warmed, it should be okay).

I just got the first three castings of my Hanoverian stallion. Parks OUTDID themselves!! This is the first casting EVER since I really came to understand my work where I am completely happy with my own work as well as the foundry's. The ear tips are there and PERFECT! They actually cast correctly instead of having to be fixed afterwards. The color is perfect, exactly matching the stallion. This is the best work I've ever done, and it had to be in a boring halter pose . . . oh well! LOL I'll post pics soon. I'm so pleased with them, I sent the foundry a thank you note.
  #424   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2016, 02:13 PM

Wow Lynda!! They do the best work! I can't wait to see it. Isn't it great when you yourself can be as pleased with you work as others are. So often we are our own worst critics and can see all the flaws. I know it will be so beautiful. Halter pose might be not as exciting but it allows a person to really look at the face and and all the detail and not be caught up in the action.

#425   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2016, 05:02 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

I see all the flaws ALL the time!!! So it's AMAZING to me that I can't find flaws on this one! AND, this is the best compacted body since I had my shoulder surgery in 2012 (I think that's when I had it). There have been tiny depressions in the clay here and there because I wasn't strong enough to pack the clay well. I beat this one with a stick to compact it so it wouldn't have any depressions like that and it worked! I used to be strong enough to do it with my hands. I don't know that anyone else sees those flaws, but they scream at me! I'll get some pics of it soon.
  #426   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2016, 11:36 AM

That is great that you have this work that you are so pleased with! I look forward to the pics. Paddling is what I do too and really combines and compresses the clay. They get a good paddling so they will be good. Ha, ha!

#427   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2016, 12:37 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

I used to make smaller pieces and paddling was very difficult at that size, so I stopped doing it. My hands were strong enough until I had that shoulder surgery. Yeah, they do need to be paddled to be good, LOL!
  #428   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2016, 09:45 AM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

I found some sample castings of a relief that I made as a race trophy and decided to do something with them, so I bought some very thin plywood that has primecoat on one side, and got John to cut them to size. I sanded the edges and have primecoated them on all sides and today I'll paint them semi-gloss black on all sides. When that's done, I'll glue on the relief and add a hanger and hope to sell them for $50 or so. It's a HUGE loss on the investment in those castings (I had them cast at a foundry because a track wanted me to do quite a lot of them and I can't do that here) but at least they'll be out of here. I have other castings I make myself that I think would sell well that way too - small wall hangings that are pretty. THOSE would be profitable. It's a shame about the ones I'm doing now. They're really nice, but this track wanted actual samples to look at for this HUGE race (a big deal like the KY Derby but not the actual Derby) and then they went with crystal instead of sculpted trophies. The big trophy for that race I designed would've been awesome. At least they were willing to look at a drawing to decide about that one! You know I don't draw much, but that drawing turned out so well, I had it hanging on the fridge for a while like a kid's drawing, LOL!
  #429   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2016, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi all.
Here is my new/old sculpture, having rebuilt it after the kiln ate the last one.

As usual the main body is hollow and there is a hole right down through the whole thing, through the legs etc. Stands around 14 inches high, made from Earthenware clay. Currently air drying under a large bag.
Hopefully this one will survive the rigours of the fiery furnace

Kris
  #430   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2016, 12:49 PM

Wow, that is really great! Good musclature of the chest and abs. Nice form and movement. That cloth wrapped around him gives a lot of style and energy to the piece. Just one small thing that kind of makes me wonder, is the thinness of the wrists. It's always difficult to know how to do a torso without limbs and how to do the cut. T

The head cut looks great and is not even noticed, but something with the wrists draws my eye to it, perhaps because the arm tapers down to a very small wrist. Just a little feedback although I know it's drying out right now and is ready for firing.

The base looks great and the smoothness of the forms of the body and everything is wonderful! If you let it dry out long enough and do a very slow fire, all should be fine in the kiln!

#431   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2016, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
UK

Cheers, Sculpturedolls.
The angle of the photo isn`t helping, they definitely don`t look that narrow in real life. It`s always a weird part, where to cut. As it is I`ve cut just above the wrist, before the part that widens at the end of the bone. Plus there is a terrific difference in bone structure across human form. I, for instance, have a small bone structure and have small wrists, I would taper a lot, others would not. I could have cut further up and that would have negated the tapered look of the arm but it felt right to do it as it was.
Overall, I`m happy enough with the result I think. There are always things that you could have done better, that will never change, but at some part you have to stop and move on.

Kris
  #432   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2016, 12:41 AM

There sure are a wide variety of shapes and sizes. Good to know that you have taken all into account and are pleased with it as it is. Overworking a piece isn't good as well. Will you paint or glaze it after firing?

#433   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2016, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
UK

I`m going to leave it as it is, probably.
To explain, I`ve been thinking of adding silver or gold leaf to small portions of my new sculptures as a way of distinguishing them, and punching them out a little. I have another bust sculpture next in mind that will be made of dark, chocolate like, clay which will feature small amounts of gold leaf in the hair. That will probably be my first sculpture to feature this. I did toy with the idea of adding silver leaf on to the Physique sculpture, covering the cloth only.
To be honest the idea is still percolating in my brain.

Kris
  #434   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2016, 12:37 PM

Oh, that will be elegant and beautiful to have some silver in it. Having this be a white body clay, the silver will really go. And then the chocolate clay will look great with the gold leaf!

I've used fired gold and fired silver overglaze on some of my works and just love the subtle glitz that it gives. With using the overglaze, I first have to use some clear glaze wherever I plan to add the gold or silver, or else the overglaze won't have any thing to sink down into and stick and be shiny.

How do you go about adding gold leaf? Isn't there a glue that is added and then the leaf is pressed over that and it sticks? It's been a while since I watched how it is applied, so if you wouldn't mind sharing the process, that would be great. I know it will be a nice finishing touch to them.

#435   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2016, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
UK

Your fired overglaze sounds great, don`t know too much about that and would love to see the results of it. I`ve done a little ordinary glazing in my kiln to mixed results, although it is an interesting process, fascinating even.

You`re right with the leaf application. There is a special type of glue, a sizing I think, where ever that is applied the leaf will stick. I`m not sure just how long the leaf would last despite the limited handling it would get as a sculpture. I remember watching a tv program about the Burj Al Arab hotel, where they constantly re-apply their gold leaf. It maybe mine will last longer, who knows.
I am eager to discover the effect it would have and learn more about it, and I think my first foray will now be the silver leaf on Physique. I am also going to take another look at those wrists, just to make sure, I can alter them now I won`t be able to later.

Kris