Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Sub for Dioxazine Purple

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    DonnasArt

I have a suggestion that calls for this in a mix and I don’t have it . Any ideas? .

The mixture calls for Cobalt Blue, Dioxazine Purple, and a tad of Yellow Ochre.

Thanks in advance! :)

C&C ALWAYS!

Donna

NancyMP

Donna, Dioxazine Purple is one of those lovely transparent colors that you can’t mix. You might try experimenting with a little ultramarine blue and alizarin crimson for a substitute, but it wouldn’t have the same punch that dioxazine has.

I wouldn’t be without it.

Nancy http://nancyparkfineart.com
            All human beings are dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together. - Jack Kerouac

DonnasArt

Thanks Nancy!

I’ve made a promise to myself to stop buying art supplies!
                I have things I don’t know how to use and color has been a challenge. To that end I am trying to work with a limited pallet in hopes I can learn more about mixing.

What happened in this case is that I snapped a photo of a dog I wanted to try to paint. I got ready to go but checked an art pet reference to review eye and nose anatomy. Lo and behold there was a cat picture with the perfect coloring I wanted for my dog; with recipe.

It’s a luscious color.

Oh well, I may have to give in. :(

C&C ALWAYS!

Donna

llawrence

I’ve enjoyed ultramarine violet as a transparent purple. It won’t be nearly as intense as the dioxazine, though, and probably a bit cooler. Grumbacher sells a tube for cheap.

dcorc

Its not going to be very transparent, or intense, by the time you add the yellow ochre in, though.

Instead of “recipes”, look at the target colour you are aiming for, and see if you can hit it with the paints you already have.

I agree that you can’t mix anything that matches pure dioxazine purple – but mixing something that matches that mix recipe may well be a different matter.

Dave

Anonymous

Donna,

Thanks Nancy!

[COLOR=”red]Frugal but not as much fun.[/COLOR]
                            I have things I don’t know how to use and color has been a challenge. To that end I am trying to work with a limited pallet in hopes I can learn more about mixing.
                            [COLOR=”red]Lots of help here and in the Color Theory/mixing forum also.[/COLOR]
                            It’s a luscious color.
                            [COLOR=”red]Show us if you can, we like luscious too.[/COLOR]
                            Oh well, I may have to give in. :(
                            [COLOR=”Red]I can relate to that.[/COLOR]

good luck with that. :lol:

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                            Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

DonnasArt

Donna,

O.K. Here’s my guy.. I suppose I’m off to the art supply house.:rolleyes: Actually, I can”t imagine those colors producing this but it sure looks like a match in the book that describes it. Guess I’ll get to play some. For those of you familiar with it, do you have a brand recommendation? And how would you start? white base or would you consider the color the mid?

For eyes the book shows using Black, Autum Brown and two grays, Quaker and Hippo. I’m not going there!! I’ll sub those. And for white, I just counted seven in my stash (but of course I don’t know which to pick)!!!:confused:

C&C ALWAYS!

Donna

JoyCF

:(

Do books count? There is nothing like getting new art supplies or a new book… I just purchased this book. Blue and Yellow Don’t Make Green by Michael Wilcox. I found it very helpful in mixing colours, although I have little experience with colour mixing..

Happy Painting!
                                    Joy :wave:

:)

DonnasArt

Do books count? There is nothing like getting new art supplies or a new book… I just purchased this book. [U]Blue and Yellow Don’t Make Green[/U] by Michael Wilcox. I found it very helpful in mixing colours, although I have little experience with colour mixing..

Happy Painting!
                                        Joy :wave:

That’s part of my problem! Every time I read a book the artist uses a color I don’t have. This and finding work on the web! Add to that the advertisements of the suppliers who would try to convince you your next one would be a masterpiece if you only used their stuff and I end up with stuff I don’t know how to use.:lol: Sometimes I forget why I bought it and what it is supposed to do.

This leads me to a question. Do pros keep records of what they use on a painting?

I have some that I can barely remember if it was oil or acrylic, never-mind remember the colors. I’ve fixed that as I have decided to stick with oils. That’s why a limited pallet and the “Keep It Simple Stupid” approach is so appealing. I need to work on lots of elements and there is sooo much to learn!:)

C&C ALWAYS!

Donna

gunzorro

Donna — You need to get some better books!

I don’t normally recommend the Wilcox book, but it is certainly better than what you’ve been studying.

You need to learn for yourself what pigments do, not rely on formulas.

And I can’t see how those color are going to work on your dog, except in the most difficult fashion. You should be starting with colors that are close to those in the picture: black, white, earth reds (transparent red oxide might be most useful), and maybe a few others like a green to neutralize the earth reds. Not much different than a human portrait palette really!

You need to learn for yourself what pigments do, not rely on formulas.

Quoted for emphasis…

Donna
                                            , there is no one magic formula- in fact you can mix just about anything from a basic palette. People often use different pigments and end up at the same (or extremely similar) result. It’s just a matter of knowing how pigments interact. That’s why you can ask for skin tone recipes and get 20 different answers… all of which work.

Honestly I think you can do this painting with a good basic red (Like cad red medium or equivalent OR maybe even an earth red like venetian red)), yellow ochre, french ultramarine, burnt umber, and a black. (And Titanium white)

D. purple is a marvelous color and I would never discourage anyone from getting it because it is an awesome color (and i do not, as a rule, ever discourage people from buying paint :p) but my recommendation would be to use colors you already have and see what happens.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                                            Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

schravix

Nancy is correct, there’s no real substitute for Dioxazine. Go ahead and buy a tube, it will last you a lifetime…It’s very powerful.

JoyCF

Here is some information I found about Dioxanine purple from Dick Blick site. (I really like them)… I am trying to match my colours up with the material list provided, on a course I am taking on realistic portrait painting… Here’s hoping.

Here is the info I got:
                                                    Gamblin Artist’s Oil Colors
                                                    00401-6023 — Dioxazine Purple

This color contains the following pigments:

PV23—Dioxazine Violet

Pigment Type
                                                    organic
                                                    Chemical Name
                                                    carbazole dioxazine
                                                    Chemical Formula
                                                    C34H22Cl2N4O2
                                                    Properties
                                                    Dioxazine Violet is transparent and has very high tinting strength. It is a staining pigment, very dark valued when it is used at full strength. Concentrated, it paints out nearly black, but it mixes with Titanium White to form bright, opaque tints of purple. PV23 produces slightly redder shades than PV37. Because the hue can vary with the conditions of preparation and grinding, it may be offered in red shade, blue shade, and so forth.
                                                    Permanence
                                                    Dioxazine Violet has good lightfastness. There may be some concern about it fading or shifting in color in tints and washes. Some artists have reported that PV37, a molecular variant, is more lightfast than PV23.
                                                    Toxicity
                                                    n/a
                                                    History
                                                    Two molecular variants of Dioxazine Violet, PV23 and PV37, are available. They have similar properties, but mix slightly differently.
                                                    Alternate Names
                                                    Dioxazine Purple, Chromothal Violet, Mauve, Carbazole Violet.

Happy Painting. :)
                                                    Joy

Crystal1

I’ve found that Phalo blue and Magenta make a beautiful transparent violet. It might not help in this case, but should be helpful when trying to make good violets from colors you might already have on hand.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘Sub for Dioxazine Purple’ is closed to new replies.