WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2004, 10:05 PM
Cornwall

Hails from Canada
Re: spyware question

Hi Cindy

Here's what you do.
Click on Start, then run.
Then in the open box type the following
C:\Documents and Settings\The Family\Local Settings\Temp
This will open the folder in question.
Now you can either click Edit then select all, or just click in the folder and press Ctrl+A (shortcut for select All)
Then hit the delete key.
You may get a question saying a file is read only or such, just say yes and continue.
This will clear all the temp (Temporary) files.
Empty the recyling bin
They are only temp files and not needed to run Windows.
Once this is done run Adaware 6 or Spybot to check for further spyware.
If the file returns then you need to check what files are set to run from startup.
Since your using Norton you can also run an online scan from
http://security.norton.com
There you can run a virus scan and a security scan.
Hope this sets you in the right direction and gives you peace of mind.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2004, 01:44 PM
East Central Florida Area

Hails from United States

Also you may want to try www.webroot.com
they have a free scan you can try I also use Adaware and Spybot and a free Firewall called Zonealarm webroot found things adaware and spybot and zonealarm didnt. Of course they want you to buy the full version but the free version does a nice job its just not updated on a daily basis like the pay version is.
Thanks Mike
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Enthusiast
Kelowna, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

Welcome Marcel and thanks to you and to you too Michael for your help and advice. I have copied and saved and explored.

I am currently using the spybot and the ad-aware and have not been bothered by any garbage now in my system. The only complaints are form my teenagers. Apparently they are only getting little "x" s when they go to some of their familiar music sites where at one time they got images or videos. Is there a setting perhaps that I can change?

cindy
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
A little left of reality...

Hails from United States
Re: More of you have spyware installed than you know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamac
HELP!! The links for AdAware and Spybot are for Windows-based pcs...but many of us art-oriented computerniks drive Macs!! What's out there for us???

Macky

I was just going thru this same concern recently and started shopping around for MacOSX spyware nixing software myself. I called various online suppliers (MacMall, etc.) and they simply told me that Mac OSX with it's Linux base is already pretty secure against spyware invaders.

I checked around the Mac discussion boards and found very few Mac users who report any problems at all with spyware.

Periodically I get notifications from Apple telling me there are OS updates available - the vast majority of them are security updates. It's one of the benefits of "driving a Mac". Personally, I don't think you can put a price on that kind of "peace of mind".

However, I would never want to instill a sense of false security, so if there are any Mac users who have another opinion/experience on this, please opine.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
A little left of reality...

Hails from United States

In light of this discussion, I thought I'd post a link to this article:

http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtm...ry=netsecurity

It is essentially a suit leveled by the FTC against a couple of spyware software developers who also offer spyware fixes...

how convenient!