WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2004, 03:02 PM
A Local Legend
Grand Haven, MI U.S.A.

Hails from United States
Windows XP or Windows 2000

I'm shopping for a new computer... mine is 10 years old. Last night friends were recommending operating systems... one said Windows XP was the best because of it's speed. The other said she didn't like Windows XP and went back to Windows 2000 because XP wouldn't let her adjust the dpi on the graphics she wanted to print. Neither is a computer wiz but neither am I. What operating system do you all use? I'm asking over in the computer forum too but I figure they are all computer folk who know how to get around some of the things whereas the rest of us don't.
Helen
p.s. I'd go back to a Mac but I've got 10 years worth of graphics that have been generated on a pc... not feasible to even think about it.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2004, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Singapore
Re: Windows XP or Windows 2000

New PCs will probably be all fitted with Windows XP. XP should not impose limitation on printing dpi, its should be a matter of configuration, or printer driver issue for your friend. Not advisable to go with Windows 2000.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2004, 09:37 PM
A Local Legend
81200 - Mexico

Hails from Mexico

I'll echo here...Not advisable to go with Windows 2000.

Windows XP home edition is all you need , but if you can get XP pro edition for same price, that's a little better bet.

XP let's you do so many things, some we'll never need to tangle with, let alone graphics dpi for printing, which depends most likely on your printing software (Word, PhotoShop, Excel, Painter, etc...)

Windows 2000 is going back in time....to not very happy days either...

Go XP that's the latest and fastest, besides all new software (and hardware),
will be supported by XP for sure , not very sure about 2000...

Regards
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2004, 10:21 PM
CT

Hails from United States

I run Mandrake Linux on my machines. Windows 2000 is going backwords, XP pro is better. As for DPI just do a goole search on how to change the DPI and you should be all set.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2004, 11:15 PM
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

I'm gunna throw a spanner in and say 2000 is better than XP. After all, XP is basically 2000, with eye candy and a few extra added useless 'features'. XP demands more resources than 2000, so I can't see how it is faster.

I know people are going to disagree with me, fact is I run 2000 pro and it *very* rarely crashes on me - even when I run software that demands more hardware than I have (eg memory etc).

Fact is also that because 2000 is older, more software will run on it. XP has had plenty of issues not running some programs that run fine on 2K. I've met plenty of people who have been utterly dissatisfied with XP and gone back 2000 (I'm a computer technician) purely for usability and stability.

Also it is often viable to get drivers that work in 2000 but some manufactureres have still yet to release XP drivers, although thats becoming less of an issue - still....
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2004, 12:06 AM

I'm with you SoniKalien.... I run Win 2000 pro too. Same reasons. Tried Win XP a couple of times, but I don't like it. I'm staying with 2000 pro as long as I can....

You won't be able to buy a new computer with W2K pro though, and you might not want too either. You would have to buy win2000 pro full ed from a place like Best Buy and then install over WinXP... which didn't work for me, so I got a second drive and installed win2000 on that. Still have the other drive with WINXP sitting in there should I ever feel the urge to try again.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2004, 01:33 AM
A Local Legend
81200 - Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Yep the PRO versions are the goodies, i have XP Pro and the only nagging i get is that it is a Spanish version same as PS7 , and i just don't like the translation or placement of tools and everything else...i'm mexican but since 1980 i relate to computers in english ...i guess i went off topic here...

OK, again , try to go for the PRO versions....

Regards
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2004, 11:10 AM
DFW area, Texas

Hails from United States

Windows 2000 Pro is extremely stable - I've been using it daily at work since it was released and I can count the number of crashes I've had on the fingers of one hand. I leave my computer on 24/7 at work and it doesn't gradually slow down and leak memory and require a reboot like NT4 did.

I use XP home edition at home and it too is very stable.

Which is best? For your average home user, almost certainly XP. If you're heavily into multi-media applications, almost certainly XP. For "power user" computer weenies 2000 is a little less annoying (XP tries to think for you and often you have to search the registry to find a way to turn the nagging crud off).

As far as speed, depending on your hardware configuration after startup they will probably be about the same, but XP's startup and shutdown cycle is much faster than 2000's.

PS: Stay away from "millenium edition" - this is what gave Windows 2000 a bad name. In the Windows 2000 family, use only the Pro version!

Last edited by Lighthouser : 07-24-2004 at 11:19 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2004, 10:07 PM

count me as an XP gal
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2004, 07:19 AM
Lord of the Arts
Northern England

Hails from England

2000 for me it is hugely stable and as stated earlier runs for months on end with no problems. A classic OS.

Growing old disgracefully!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2004, 09:20 AM
Enthusiast
Near my coffee!

Hails from United States

I am running W2K, XP Pro and Red Hat Linux. My fav is Red Hat and if I have to run Windozzz I chose W2K over XP. XP is basically W2K with some cute menus and lots of security issues. You won't be able to find a prebuilt system with W2K but if you or someone you know can build a new system then I would suggest W2K. If you go with XP make sure you read up on all the patches that need to be applied.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2004, 04:22 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Nelson, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

Well, actually XP is not the newest version of Windows. XP comes with a lot of builtin programs that are missing in 2K. For instance, Cd burning programs are unnecessary with XP as it does it all for you. Just drag and drop to the CD rom. It also has a few other built in programs that 2k does not. Its better at multitasking than earlier versions. I run several different programs at once, up to 4-5, with 6-8 windows open at one time. I can have 4 IE windows open at once while using Frontpage, FTP and Photoshop, all at the same time and not have any problems. XP keeps each program in a "walled-off" area, to itself, so there's less problems that way and, so, when one program freezes or crashes, it doesn't affect the other programs or crash the computer. It just closes that one program.

However, all this said, Windows 2003 is the newest version and will be out on a lot of new computers before long. It is, apparently, the best version yet, with the security problems of XP having been fixed. I don't know this first hand, as I run XP on my computer, but hubby has just installed Windows 2003 on his. The jury's still out.
- "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." - Joshua 24:14

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2004, 12:03 AM
Enthusiast
Western Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
I'm shopping for a new computer... mine is 10 years old. Last night friends were recommending operating systems... one said Windows XP was the best because of it's speed. The other said she didn't like Windows XP and went back to Windows 2000 because XP wouldn't let her adjust the dpi on the graphics she wanted to print....

Helen, most of my computer techie acquaintences swear by Windows 2000 for its rock-solid stability, but it is becoming less and less available these days. Almost any new PC you buy is bound to have Windows XP installed on it unless you go the Linux or Mac route. I just ordered a new Dell and my only OS options were Windows XP home edition or the pro edition. From my own research, I've learned that Windows 2000 doesn't have as much native peripheral support as the "home versions" of other Windows operating systems. But the Windows Me that runs on my current 4-year-old Dell PC is arguably the worst version of Windows operating systems EVER released! I've used Windows XP on my husband's computer and don't much like it, but I guess I'll have to get used to it because that's what my new PC will have when it arrives.

Windows XP has caused a lot of user problems because of the various levels of user privileges that are assigned to various "identities" of people who will be using that particular computer. In theory, only one primary user should have full access privileges on the system (i.e., a system administrator) to do things like installing or uninstalling software, downloading and installing software upgrades and patches; accessing, modifying and deleting files, etc. The rest of the users are supposedly to be assigned more restricted access. This has caused lots of frustration for folks who find that one of their software application programs, like a non-Microsoft word processing program, won't let them do such simple things as print the file they just created! This can be avoided if those other users are also granted full access privileges by the "main user", the system administrator.

That said, if you are the only one who will be using your new computer, you will have full access privileges by default, so none of this will apply to you. Other than those not-so-minor gripes, Windows XP is much more stable than its Windows Me predessesor and is a big improvement for me.

As to the question of all the updates and patches to be applied, there are plenty of those for Windows 2000 as well as Windows XP and everything in between. Since Microsoft Windows has the biggest market share of all the operating systems, it is the biggest target for hackers and other mischief makers who are daily developing worms, viruses and the like to plague us with. You just have to keep your system updated.

Microsoft has just recently released it's much-anticipated Service Pack 2 for Windows XP that has all the previous patches and Service Pack 1 included. If you are a Windows XP user, you can either download this behemoth or request a free copy of it on a CD to install at your leisure. But the mailing of that CD may take about 2 months to be delivered. For us dial-up customers, it may be the only viable option.

Hope that wasn't too confusing or discouraging. I think you are right to stay with the PC rather than going Mac. I love Macs, but they are increasingly shrinking in their marketshare and even most schools and colleges are giving them the boot. It's a Microsoft-PC dominated world out there.

As for your friend's problem with not being able to change the dpi on the graphics she wanted to print, that should be something that her graphics program controls, not Windows XP. For example, if you are using Adobe Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Jasc's PaintShop Pro, Corel's PhotoPaint, or other graphics programs, you should be able to change the dpi settings usually be doing a resampling or resizing of the image. That is not a function of Windows XP.

Beverly
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2004, 05:34 PM
wellington, new zealand

Hails from New Zealand

My short answer: everyone in the know agrees: never get a stripped down version of Windows i.e. Home or ME.

But also important, get some very good advice on protecting your computer.

Oh, thirdly - a gem that I should have learned long ago, but only started practicing recently - before buying anything - software, scanners, printers etc - look at the support site of the product and read up on the problems that users have been experiencing (all products will have unhappy users ) and base your judgment on whether those issues are going to be an issue for yourself as well. If I had practiced this earlier, I could have saved myself and my company thousands.

What happened to the short answer??
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2004, 05:42 PM
wellington, new zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeCeeEss
I think you are right to stay with the PC rather than going Mac. I love Macs, but they are increasingly shrinking in their marketshare and even most schools and colleges are giving them the boot. It's a Microsoft-PC dominated world out there. Beverly

Sorry, I think you're wrong. Using a computer at home can't be about marketshare. It's about the level of the Pleasant Experience. My home portable Mac is 4 years old (maybe 5) and still going so strong. The ONLY problem I had was to replace the power cord which broke because of constant twisting. And my dealer gave me his spare for free cos of the Mac community spirit. I have sees that a lot in the two countries/4 cities I have lived in.

Never ever had viruses, spyware, service packs, trojans, worms, attacks... happy to be missing out on so much.

However I won't question the thread starter's decision to choose a pc if they wish - I have one too - but I try not to connect that to the internet.