WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2004, 07:54 AM
High Wycombe, Bucks, England

Question Paint Shop Pro 5 versus CorelDRAW 2

Can the above software be compared or do they stand on their own individually?

Do either of them allow the outline of an image to be drawn? If not what software is recommended that will do this. I love painting but find the drawing aspects often difficult and more importantly, time-consuming. I know that I need to develop my drawing skills but wondered whether there was any software that could help to accelerate the process, hence the question.

Thanks

Bill Birchall
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-14-2004, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Singapore
Re: Paint Shop Pro 5 versus CorelDRAW 2

Bill,

Check whether you can find Corel Trace in you Corel folder. This component can convert a bitmap image to vectors. These vectors (lines) can then be reconverted to bitmap for painting.

Obviously, this is an extremely simplification of the processes that may be involved.

PS. versions of your softwares are very old.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Anchorage, AK

Did you say Corel 2?!?!?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2004, 08:19 PM
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

It's a bit like asking "What's the best transport? Horse or bicycle?"

FYI the latest version of CorelDraw is 12 - it comes with CorelDraw (vectors) Photopaint (bitmaps) and quite a few other goodies.

IIRC CorelDraw 2 came out in the days of DOS and Windows 3.1
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2004, 12:35 AM
Anchorage, AK

I actually still have a Corel 3 disc....

I started out on a beta version of CorelDraw! 2

Actually I take that back- I started out on an Apple IIE with Dazzle Draw. I think I'd blocked that from my memory
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2004, 09:13 PM
CT

Hails from United States

I run Linux, so I use Gimp www.gimp.org. It is part of the GPL, and it is free. I was just on the web site and noticed that they have ported it to Windows, I do not know if it will do the functions that you are asking, but you might want to check it out.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2004, 01:19 AM
A WC! Legend
SE Arizona: I can see Mexico from my house!

Hails from United States

I've both PaintshopPro 7.2, and Corel- something- I dunno anymore. Each has strengths and ease-of-use for different functions- but usually I pull up Paintshop- dunno- I like Corel fine, just use psp more. Both can be used to draw an outline *IF* you're damned good with a mouse, or tablet, or willing to go back in and enlarge to pixel-apparent size and work that way.

I have to say I use them more for massing than for line drawing. And nothing beats a charcoal pencil and an eraser to really learn to draw.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2004, 03:41 AM

Hails from United States

Well you are asking about drawing on the computer, I can fully recommend Alias SketchbookPro... no it does not have the abilities of either Corel or Paint Shop, but it is a great little utility just do draw. Been using it for a month or so and I am more than just impressed with its potencial. Oh and I am using it right now for "pencil" drawings and concept drawings.

http://www.alias.com/eng/products-se...ro/index.shtml
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2004, 05:20 PM
USA

Hails from United States

I know that I have Photoshop LE 5.0 and it is far superior to any paintshop pro I owned previously.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2004, 12:43 AM
A WC! Legend
Lawn Guylind

Hails from United States

take the time to learn how to draw from life. you'll never regret it. for one thing sometimes photos (especially digital ones) can distort perspective a bit. withiout the knowledge from drawing from life, and how to correct perspective, etc, you'll be working with a flawed base drawing.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2004, 02:55 PM
Enthusiast
Newfoundland

Hails from Canada

Arlene is right. Start drawing from life. The computer is just a tool to help you deal with problems that you may encounter. I use it to enlarge images that I am working on. When I am working I find that when I take a digital pic of my work I am more able to see my mistakes on the computer than in real life...sometimes.

As for what is better? Photoshop is a great program for drawing but not as good as Painter 8 by Corel. Corel Draw..whatever version...is more for piecing things together just as is Illustrator and not really handy for actually working freehand. Both Illustrator and Corel Draw are more geared for graphic design rather than spontaneous creativity.

I remember Corel Draw 2..hehehehe.

Last edited by paintsplatter : 09-23-2004 at 02:57 PM. Reason: forgot to proof read..ghezzz
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2004, 06:00 PM

Drawing with the computer is MUCH more difficult than drawing with a pencil.