Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Jullian frebch easel Classic GM

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Grey_red

Hi!
        I am a painter and I am currently traveling a lot and also getting more and more interested into plein air. So, I decides to get myself portable studio/home/plein air easel&box so I don’t waste time while traveling. I decided to go with french easels, which seem like most convinient option considering I don’t paint pochade box small pictures. I first wanted to go with Jacksons french easel (full box), but quicky found out that top brands are Mabef and Jullian. I was at first interested in Jullian classic french easel , but than I run into complaints in reviews and forums about quality eversince Jullian moved its production to China. The more reviews I read, the more I am worried what quality of easel I am going to get. JB45 version is “original”, french made, but again, from user reviews (however biased they might be), I got impression that JB45’s quality doesn’t justify its almost double price. In fact, quite opposite.. I am now totally unsure weather I should expect Classic line to be economy or “quality” version of the easel. So…..what to expect from classic french easel? Is Jb45 worth extra money (which I don’t have, but still..)? Should I go for Jacksons easel? Is there third option I am unaware of?

Hi and welcome to wetcanvas.

You may post this in the relevant mediu, forum for a better answer.

This is a terrific community and a wonderful resource, use the rolling menu bottom right and you will find forums for just about every art and craft medium here, it’s worth exploring the full list of the forums. Read the posting rules at the top of the forums there may be restricted posting.

The links in the top line of my signature will help with the forum and how to resize and post your pictures. You can start uploading pictures on your third post.

Uploading is sometimes a problem. When you get the uploader box and browse for your photos, make sure you select “All files” or you will not see your jpg files.

If you have a particular site problem, click on my name and send me a private message (pm).

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

graz

I have mid 90’s models of Julian’s full and half boxes that have held up well.
            I saw the current production versions of their premium boxes and they didn’t look bad from a fit/finish standpoint.
            The half box now uses a wooden drawer which greatly reduces it’s overall depth but the full size box seems relatively unchanged.

Another option to consider is ebay. I see vintage Julian and Grumbacher (they rebadged the Julian for years) listed frequently that are in great shape.
            The halfbox that I have was purchased in new condition via. eBay.

A good application of linseed oil on whichever you buy will benefit the wood long-term.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.