WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2019, 08:42 PM

Standing on the Porch Comp/Design Help

A friend has asked that I paint the scene of her son standing on the front porch...because this is a photo and nice composition for that, I think for the painting, there should be more foreground and maybe a bit more of the porch on the left. But, I could use help on how to properly set up the scene.
Thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2019, 02:40 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Standing on the Porch Comp/Design Help

I think it is fine as it is, it shows clearly that he is on the porch staring at the misty background.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2019, 09:22 AM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

I agree with Doug--the design and composition of the photo is strong as it is.

Adding more foreground and porch on the left simply adds more unnecessary information to the painting, and detracts from the figure who is the story and "star" of the painting.

If you edit anything, I'd soften and reduce the hard edges of the post so that the eye goes directly to the figure and stays there.

Good luck!

sling paint,
Virgil
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2019, 10:25 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

you could get away with adding more on the right, maybe enough to show more of that post, a bit of railing/deck and whatever that outbuilding is ... i say this because the photo format is Very tall and Very narrow - what canvas size do you plan to use?

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La_
you could get away with adding more on the right, maybe enough to show more of that post, a bit of railing/deck and whatever that outbuilding is ... i say this because the photo format is Very tall and Very narrow - what canvas size do you plan to use?

la

Yes, that's my concern is the format vs canvas----and composition is just not my strong suit.....the canvas will be 11 x 14
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2019, 10:30 AM

Virgil and Doug
Thank you for your input....since comp/design is not my strong suit, trying to get that on an 11x14 canvas is where I'm struggling.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2019, 01:10 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States

Maybe try some editing ?
Of course that still leaves sides to be expanded, but you might need to do that for size anyway.. just a thought. I enhanced colors a bit just to see how it looked..

Last edited by ~JMW~ : 04-24-2019 at 01:55 PM. Reason: better image edit
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JMW~
Maybe try some editing ?
Of course that still leaves sides to be expanded, but you might need to do that for size anyway.. just a thought. I enhanced colors a bit just to see how it looked..

Thanks...I don't have a great photo editor program, but tried to enlarge it with what I have, and it didn't work out all that well. I think that I'll probably need to expand the top and some on the sides to make it fit on the canvas better....it will be a challenge but that's how we improve, I suppose
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2019, 10:59 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanJoSimp
Yes, that's my concern is the format vs canvas----and composition is just not my strong suit.....the canvas will be 11 x 14

perhaps something like this ... ?

la

(great color enhancement, jmw
Attached Images

Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La_
perhaps something like this ... ?

la

(great color enhancement, jmw

WOW..that's awesome...thank you!!!