WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2019, 08:35 PM

Arrow Best Surface for Oversized-XL CP Works

Hi,

So I am a new member, but a long-time colored pencil artist and this is my first official post. My artwork has unfortunately taken a back-seat over the past several years due to the circumstances of "Life", but I am trying to make a comeback and I'm going.....Big.

Normally I work on Ampersand Claybord for my finish pieces and I can do works as large as 36" x 36" or 36" x 48", (though I tend to keep things square, so mostly 36x36), but that's as large as you can buy those.

I am wanting to do some larger works (48" x 48" , 60" x 60", or possibly even larger) However, I am having some difficulty finding proper surfaces to do anything of that scale. I've looked into museum rising board and even conservation mat board but can't find those even as large as the claybord. I've been told you can get papers from the roll up to 48" but I try to avoid papers for works of that scale, which is why I've always preferred the claybord. But in the interest of the restrictions I seem to be having right now, I wouldn't be entirely opposed to papers or illustration board if I could find something in my scale and something archival.

I certainly don't want to use a surface that warps, yellows, or deteriorates. I need something that is at least somewhat archival and can stand the test of time.

I am a bit stuck right now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2019, 09:45 PM
Enthusiast
Ohio

Hails from United States
Re: Best Surface for Oversized-XL CP Works

You could always make your own. You can get a 4x8 masonite panel at Lowe's for about $8 and they will cut it for you. Then you can cradle it and prepare the surface. It takes time, but can save you money and you get the sizes you want.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2019, 12:30 AM

Hmmm, so how would this be primed for CP? I tend to be quite heavy with my CP, very thick and saturated. I know for painting, something like masonite would need a few coats of gesso, but I'm not sure the gesso would hold up to the pressure of heavy CP. Would it?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2019, 08:58 AM
PA

Hails from United States

You could prepare cradled masonite, and then adhere the paper surface of your choice.

Save
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2019, 01:41 AM
Lord of the Arts

Not a board but I personally like to use Arches medium CP watercolor paper. I purchase it by the roll, 1.13 x 9.15 meters. Then I just cut it down to the size I need for each artwork.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2019, 03:08 PM
A Local Legend
Toronto

Hails from Canada

I work small, at least compared with your sizes...!

I have prepared Masonite panels quite successfully with the Australian Colourfix medium. Of course you need to like Colourfix paper or board in the first place...

I used a simple paint roller first, but it was creating small bubbles. However, a flat wall corner applicator was ideal to create a flawless surface.

Edited to add that maybe by now manufacturers of other sanded surfaces carry their mediums as well!

Boldness commands the eye, but nuances hold it there. Margot Schulzke
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2019, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast
A 38 sq.meter apartment in Hyvinkää

Hails from Finland

I wonder if plywood would be even more stable than masonite.

Heikki