WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2019, 06:20 AM

Smile My googling about hyperrealism

Hi All,
I want to share with you my path to find maybe correct source for my target: draw a very realistic portrait. I started with Dirk Dzymirski, unfortunately there is no reference on his technique available on the net; looking at some videos from Dirk on youtube I discovered a very talented artist, David Kassa, that has a DVD also available as streaming on line.

My search goes on and google suggests me another artist: Casey Baugh; he provide a lot of sources from his workshop, and maybe I'll download content of his DVD because his style in charcoal portrait is very close to what I'm looking for.

Another incredible quality artist is Robert Kelley, that provide two complete courses about realistic portrait in charcoal available here

Last, but not least, googling I found a very old page here on wetcanvas archive, and Matti Kataja was suggested as writer of a very detailed book on yperrealism. Searching on his facebook page, he decided to have public copy (in finnish) of his work; I'm traslating it using google.

I decided to stop with five pencil method, because for me it's too from my style, and also I will avoid video from JD Hillberry.

To complete my escursus on information about realistic portrait, I ordered two books from Juliette Aristides: Beginning Drawing Atelier: An Instructional Sketchbook and Lessons in Classical Drawing: Essential Techniques from Inside the Atelier

I will post in the future drawings after reading book and after studied DVD from Casey Baugh.

Just to share with you.
Francesco
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2019, 01:37 PM

Re: My googling about hyperrealism

Hello,
thank you for the information, I almost forgot about it
*by Casey Baugh, I had seen drawings almost 2 years ago, even a short video, maybe a preview but I hadn't noticed his educational material, the sale of these resources,
is he the artist who uses a kind of pad? the method of dusting I had read.

I don't know the precise name of the pad, the tool,

I regret not being able to give you advice on the realistic carbocino drawing, not to give you reference to useful material but I would say that you have found excellent material, great artists.

I don't know if you had already seen it, maybe it's not the style you're looking for, but some artists who use charcoal drawings that have made DVDs and books to think about it, there is this artist whose drawings I wanted to mention a great deal.

on youtube I had seen something about Zhaoming Wu.
I wanted to quote you Zhaoming Wu and this,

I can't wait to see your drawings. thanks for sharing.
good luck with everything that yours is a beautiful path it deserves.

I can't make too realistic drawings, but I really like coal too, but I haven't thought about it for a long time.
***I didn't try to draw with coal for about 5 months because using it I noticed that my eyes hurt and they secreted a little. I tried to use it carefully but nothing then we try again maybe in the future however I don't talk about very detailed drawings.
however if I try again I have to inquire about Casey Baugh and Zhaoming Wu

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2019, 03:29 AM
A Local Legend
Las Vegas

Hails from United States

Why are you avoiding a video from JD Hillberry?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wassie
Why are you avoiding a video from JD Hillberry?

hi wassie,
I'm not sure, it's just my interpretation
but I think for the material, he wants to make very realistic drawings but entirely with charcoal.
because it seems to me that the five pencil method, darrell tank, (I had seen his free videos in which he introduced the method) uses only graphite pencils.

JD Hillberry, if I understand correctly, uses graphite and coal together, in fact coal is also used, but if I understand correctly it is not alone but combined.

I really like his drawings, they are actually very realistic, I think he refers to the means used by these artists rather than the techniques and results,
maybe I'm wrong.
I think you're looking for artists who work entirely with charcoal. but perhaps he was also referring to style.
I didn't mention it for material, which uses graphite pencils, but I think the posts here on the SparrowHawk7 website could be useful, they're great.