Home Forums Explore Media Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials warp-resistant boards for layered collage

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    phcoucke

hello,

my name is Phil.

I want to layer pieces of painted papers on a board that doesn’t warp/really stays stable.
        My aim is to cut/trim this collage in the final stage, so as to make a kind of object with it (therefore no mdf panels but a kind of board that I can trim).

I’ve been trying foamboards but if I layer to much, the panel starts to warp…
        Does anyone can recommend a kind of board/brand to do this and should I lay gesso on both sides of it?

Your help is very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Phil

Hi Phil and welcome!
        Have you tried illustration board? It would not need to be gessoed.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Cyndi L

I’ve used masonite for something like this. You only need to gesso the top.

phcoucke

hi Kay,

aren’t these illustration boards not too light to hang them on the wall? don’t know this product, thanks anyway
                phil

Eraethil

I only use cradled birch panels for this very reason. Up here in Canada Gotrick is a reasonably priced supplier, available in art stores.

[FONT=Century Gothic] [FONT=Century Gothic]Comments and critique actively sought and much appreciated! [/SIZE][/B]
                    Rick. . . [/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. .[/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic] . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR]pigment storm fine art[FONT=Century Gothic] . . . watch the paint flow![/SIZE]

tidal

The most stable are aluminium composite boards having none of the issues wood has.Very nature of wood is to expand/contract taking in/giving out moisture but it does so ineffectively if kept at wrong temperature or place(ie if piece is made in one place and then transported to say an exhibition by truck or sea in another place this can create horrendous changes in it also) or too much humidity warps etc.If you want to use wood keeping at it at correct temperature (also dureing any transportation) sealing it will help when you seal it it is stopping the natural resins from rise to surface is vital to aply some kind of seal to stop this a stain blocker either water based or Zinsser bin type product.(Never use a piece from a recycled wardrobe or something UNLESS you know for sure it has no varnishes on it etc ) is best to buy a piece that is not rough sawn scaffold plank type wood get as is said here poplar or mahogany etc sand very smooth.PVA stops foreign matter on paper or wood knots coming through it can act as a size before primer BUT NOT AS A PRIMER as does not give bond well it will stop wood absorb stuff from the paper on top and use only pva artsits grade not diy stuff. You could do belt and brace and do all this and on a cradeled board.Also in the past I have recycled many pieces of wood for such project thinking was doing a good thing BUT have learnt lesson regereted is as found you are forever playing a detective as to why paint layers do not look good in some way or another as whatever was put on the wood before even after sanding and striping sealing primer etc etc etc( varnishes stains or old rabit skin glue is soaked deep within the wood) and come up in work many layers on so also is case for pallet scaffold type wood is never get smoothe and see imperfections many layers on :/

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

phcoucke

thank you tidal can you recommend a specific brand of such aluminium composite boards? thanks a lot phil

contumacious

ACM panels are great for non warping supports for anything, but they really shine with with water based stuff. They are easy to cut in straight lines with nothing more than a craft knife and a metal straight edge, but not so easy to cut into curved or irregular shapes, unless you have a mini router or water jet cutter. 3mm is the thickness I use the most. 2mm is nice for small and light stuff but bends quite easily, 4mm is what I pick for larger than 24″ panels.

If you lightly sand the surface without breaking through the white polyester coating, then prime with XIM UMA bonder / primer, any type of paint or glue will adhere well.

This post gives quite a bit of information on various brands of ACM panels.

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1466279

tidal

Yes sorry for late reply the acb also as regards pencil on them are not 100% accurate good advice from contumacious there I did not know this about them….also on the warp factor I have come to understand that they are possibly the least reisistant to warping..however this is on the say so of the art shops selling them and they have not been around that long to see archival results either .I here you though as it seems impossible to egta nything that is not going to warp. Bear in mind also that these panels come as they are or sometimes the surface is treated by the supplier in order that any medium can be put straight onto it.. I can only assume looking at objects around the home that aluminium is going to warp conciderably less than say wood for example doors will suddenly not close in winter etc whereas you don’t find this with aluminium( the actual technical data an the percentage of how much they may expand contract etc is given but then again how do you know that this what not done in some temperature controlled museum) The only way is to test it yourself ie try put a practice piece in a room with a lot of humidity and or watch the changes through the different seasons if you have them and even try transporting it somewhere different etc etc .Personaly i would not use any type of glue because some glues no wether artists brand or what they say they can do etc can react with the paper as you need to check what is in them as some glue will make expansion and contraction due to ingredients..Actualy you may be interested to try something out as am looking into concidering using aluminium for same reason..i have heard of a certain type of glue being used to glue paper which won’t warp am guess it not got any water in it(Super Glue 5g Cyanoacrylate Adhesive Instant Glue Fast Curing For Construction Repair Plastic Metal Wood Rubber Porcelain Glass Ceramic Leather Plywood Aluminium ) needs to be pure and not have anything else in it mind or it will react with the water in the mediums..use this glue and bond two pieces of your chosen paper either side of some cardboard (made of same type of paper) can reduce warping is something I have read on line so don’t quote me but maybe worth an experiment there..this could be glued onto an aluminium board and then you can have paper surface to draw paint or stick further paper onto , I understand there are certain types of paper which are best for preventing further buckling which you can google to find out

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

CarlyHardy

I use gator board. You can gesso it if you want to. Does not warp if wet. Comes in a variety of widths and can be easily cut to size. Very lightweight for framing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.