WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching > The Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2007, 05:36 PM

Hails from United States
Re: Basic 102 - Class 13 - Trees

Dave - I like your excuse...I mean explanation better! Your drawing is so good...it made me stutter...

Ruth - Glad you can join us! Take your time...I'm very slow at drawing, so I'm a hopping to keep up!! But I'll be around long after class is over to assist.

Diane
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2007, 07:09 PM

Hello everyone!

Diane,
at first a very big "thank you" to you! I love trees very much and so I do love drawing them. But all my trees I've drawn before look more like a washed-out scrubber or a piece of cotton wool with dents and spots.

I think this will change now because of this great workshop.

And now I have a question:
Can I join in yet?
And - do you smudge the bark and then draw the structure? Or did you only smudge the gras or the backyard?

Warm greetings from the frozen north of Germany.

Martina

PS: Did I mention that I love your way of drawing very much, Diane?

Last edited by Dreamsun : 03-20-2007 at 07:31 PM.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2007, 07:49 PM

Hails from United States

Martina - Here's a warm welcome to WC! You are not too late to join and we've just gotten started!

Quote:
And - do you smudge the bark and then draw the structure? Or did you only smudge the gras or the backyard?
I try to avoid smudging whenever possible. When I first started drawing trees, I would smudge (blend) the leaves and bark, but now I've learned a much better way of creating an even tone.

Draw in your details, such as the bark, the crevices, knots and imperfections and shading. I like to use a F lead for the finer details and a 2B for darker areas. Then use a harder lead like a 4H or 6H with a chisel point (flat angled edge to your pencil) and burnish the top of the details. This will create a beautiful toned area without losing any of the detail!! Smudging or blending will only diffuse or eliminate all that detail.

I learned this technique from Mike Sibley's book "Drawing Line to Life" and it has made an incredible difference to the quality and crispness to my drawings.

I still find when I am "sketching" like the root assignment, I will rush and resort to blending again. But Mike's technique offers a much better result.

Quote:
PS: Did I mention that I love your way of drawing very much, Diane?
Thank you for the kind words. You make me blush....

Diane

Last edited by DianeWright : 03-20-2007 at 07:51 PM.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2007, 08:04 PM

Hails from United States

Here is my next root for assignment 1. I think I'm just going to leave this one unfinished, but what you can see is the technique that I mentioned in my previous post.

You can see I have added the details of the bark and then a top layer of burnished harder lead (4B). You can see how this creates a nice even mid-tone with no smudging of the graphite.

Diane
Attached Images

#50   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

How did you sneak in and start this class?

I will join in but must catch up on a few other started projects first so maybe by the weekend.

Here I am just finding the thread and several have already posted beautiful work!!
Joane, tyree, Dave - Props on nice work!!

Joe
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Wentzville, Mo.

Hails from United States

Assignment 1

#52   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2007, 08:51 PM

Hails from United States

Scrappie - very very nice! You've got it!!! The ground work has a beautiful texture that compliments the bark of the tree. I can just feel those roots pushing themselves out of the ground. I really like this!

Joe - we'll be looking for you soon!!

Last edited by DianeWright : 03-20-2007 at 08:53 PM.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2007, 09:10 PM

Thank you so much, Diane, for the quick reply and the explanation. Now I understand what I have to do or better NOT to do.

I tried to get Mike Sibleys book here but it is'nt possible. But I think with such a good workshop that you are doing I don't need it necessarily.

Now I'll go and draw the roots even if my husband looks at me as if I've got crazy! (it's late after midnight here.)

Last edited by Dreamsun : 03-20-2007 at 09:53 PM.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2007, 09:27 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
I tried to get Mike Sibleys book here but it is'nt possible. But I think with such a good workshop that you are doing I don't need it necessarily.

You can purchase Mike's book directly from his website. I am sure he ships to Germany! And his book is a must. This workshop is just a snippet of information compared to the comprehensive and wealth of information in his book!

I'm starting to sound like a broken record...but in my humble opinion, there isn't a drawing instruction book available that is thorough as Mike's.

Even my book that is coming out in June only touches on some of these techniques. The name of my book is "Drawing Made Easy: Beautiful Landscapes" published by Walter Foster. (Visit my website for more information.....end of commercial....)

Diane
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Venezuela

Hails from Venezuela

Hi Diane

Here is my drawing of root for assignment 1, I used pencil HB and 2B, I wait for your opinion.

Rafael
Attached Images

Last edited by rafaelmarron : 03-20-2007 at 10:58 PM.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2007, 12:10 AM
A WC! Legend
florida

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthT
Hi All Lots of lovely work already. I have read Sibley's chapter on trees and your lesson Dianne and thoroughly enjoyed them, but can see that there is a lot of work ahead of me. I am one of the slower workers, but just wanted to let you know that I am on board
hi ruth...glad you found us!!! tyree
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2007, 04:47 AM
Lord of the Arts
Oxford, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeWright
Here is my next root for assignment 1. I think I'm just going to leave this one unfinished, but what you can see is the technique that I mentioned in my previous post.

You can see I have added the details of the bark and then a top layer of burnished harder lead (4B). You can see how this creates a nice even mid-tone with no smudging of the graphite.

Diane

Thanks for posting this...it is very interesting to see this. I wouldn't have known that you used hatching! But I think you mean a 4H pencil, not 4B.

My Blog
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2007, 08:46 AM

Good morning everyone.

Diane, I am sorry but I have a little "understanding-problem" (because of my unperfect english):

Quote:

Then use a harder lead like a 4H or 6H with a chisel point (flat angled edge to your pencil) and burnish the top of the details

Does this mean that you overlay every detail you have drawn with a new layer of this harder pencil?
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2007, 09:44 AM

Hails from United States

Quote:
You can see I have added the details of the bark and then a top layer of burnished harder lead (4B).

Quote:
But I think you mean a 4H pencil, not 4B.

DAVE - THANK YOU FOR CATCHING THAT ERROR! I'd fix the typo, but for some reason this morning I can't edit the posts. Hopefully everyone understands!

THANKS!

Quote:
I wouldn't have known that you used hatching!
You will find that in most of my work, I use various forms of hatching. I also use a random short stroke too that is a variation of hatching. I find it gives me freedom to really 'feel' the pencil strokes as I lay them down. I can vary the weight of the pencil stroke and build-up layers very effectively. The textures created are endless. I'm not much for circularism as I find it very time consuming (and I'm impatient) but it has it's uses for textures too.

Diane

Last edited by DianeWright : 03-21-2007 at 09:51 AM.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2007, 09:47 AM

Hails from United States

Rafael - It is so interesting how everyone can interpret and represent objects so uniquely! I really like your technique on this drawing! The roots are nicely planted in the ground and you have good rounding of the tree. The bark looks more like the bark of a shaggy hickory with it's large, loose sections. But that's okay - I like it!

Diane

Last edited by DianeWright : 03-21-2007 at 10:03 AM.