WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching > The Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Todos Santos,Baja California, Mexico

Hails from Mexico
Re: Basic 102 - Class 11 - Water

ty everyone for the comments... and for telling how you did it, ...

scrappie, your scene is delightful, beautiful reflections, and the darkness of the water behind the swan...
tyree, excellent, such courage to layer the 4b to begin with.. it worked, you got great contrast, your darks are yummy and the swan sparkles!
Ruth, your swan is attractive and the water is getting there! Go for it! looking at it from my screen I would say go darker, but my screen is not the best judge, take it with a grain of salt.
Tammy Jo, it's getting there! nice reflections. Did you use the eraser? Are you planning a different background? Maybe rocks? Good job

the water is too cold for me right now... cannot decide which one to do.
frieda

Diane, we posted together, thank you for the link, I will jump in now.

Last edited by frieda L : 02-08-2007 at 04:29 PM.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2007, 08:44 PM
A WC! Legend
florida

Hails from United States

thanks all for lotsa kind comments..ruth...its coming along very nicely..especially the ripples around the back of the swan...tammyjo..the dark you added put an extra pizzazz to your elegant bird...starting on assignment two tonight.... tyree
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2007, 12:40 PM
A WC! Legend
florida

Hails from United States

well here is assign. 2...i used hb graphite h staedtler and 07 mech pencils on smooth bristol..i laid the whole area with graphite then with h pencil first..the caps and splash were done with electric eraser...i used the first pic in Dianes tutorial..and i dont think i got the correct tonals on my rocks...and the caps in the water are a bit wide...i then kept using the h pencil to darken areas...birds are a bit wonky... tyree
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2007, 03:29 PM

Hails from Mexico

tyree! Did you spend the night drawing? @ 5.40 last night you still had to start, at 9:40 this morning it was posted! WOW. You really managed to get the white water splashing!
frieda
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Immortalized
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Thank you Diane for these terrific lessons I have tried to get some darker tones in today's work on the water and swan. I hope to get even darker as I develop the water surrounding the swan. I haven't finished the reflection of its head yet but the daylight is going here. Will wait for better light tomorrow to finish it. Thank you frieda and Tyree, as mentioned above I am trying for darker, I agree it looks better.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2007, 04:22 PM

Hails from Mexico

Ruth, YES! you've got the swan gliding now! Too bad it's getting dark (outside) already, I think you are going in the right direction.
frieda
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Immortalized
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

I like your waves Tyree , they seem to be moving. Also the splash. The birds look fine to me - maybe they are just looking for food! You must have really fast fingers , I've only just started on assignment 2. for the rocks, and still have to put the finishing touches on 2. for the skies. But I think I may have a solution for a catch up in my assignments. I've found a picture that has waves and rocks in it, so if I manage to draw it, it will do for assignments 2. on both the rocks and the water. (If only it had trees I'd be ahead of the game for the Trees lesson ).

Thank you for your encouraging comment frieda
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Immortalized
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Unfortunately I do not face north, so again the daylight is fading at 4.30 p.m.
Decided to post this afternoon's work in case I mess it up putting the final darks in
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2007, 06:15 PM

Hails from Mexico

finally got ahead on assignment 2... the hardest part was getting started. I suppose experience will build confidence
Trying to figure out how to do the splash. I suppose negative drawing is the only way, but I do not have the "finger control" or "pencil control" (yet) to draw around all these fine splashes.
Haven't found an electric eraser here, but is that the tool I need to erase small droplets? Is it precise enough?
I cannot post my drawing today, but I wanted to let you know I am still in class... after two days of standing on shore.
frieda
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2007, 08:46 PM
A WC! Legend
florida

Hails from United States

thanks ruth and frieda for kind words...ruth..its shaping up very nicely..great reflections..frieda..perhaps you could order a catalog from one of the art houses to get your electric eraser...they are quite handy for the droplets and other areas...tyree
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Immortalized
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Thank you Tyree

This is as finished as it gets. I'm off to tackle assignment 2.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Resting in Peace
GA, USA

Hails from United States

After I finished part 1, I looked through this thread and at each image I thought - I should have done that, or this. It does help to see lots of other images to see your own better. I tend to start just lightly drawing in main objects then going from top left to bottom right. I do try to look closely at the reference first, but not sure I really analyze yet. Maybe that will come with practice. As usual, my main object here was to get the darks dark enough for contrast with the swan. That takes several layers and different pencils. Really looking forward to learning about waves and moving water.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2007, 07:06 PM
Wentzville, Mo.

Hails from United States

Had a hard getting started on this one. There are some waves but scan
did not pick them up.

#59   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2007, 08:50 PM
A WC! Legend
florida

Hails from United States

ruth...it turned out wonderful..great finish to it...connie...hmmmm darks..they make that water sparkle....scrappie..wow those rocks sure do look great...and yes you can tell its a splash tyree
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Immortalized
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Thank you for your encouraging comment tyree I am now working on assignment 2. The assignments get harder as we go along, so I am not sure when I will have anything to post. I am going for a CATscan of my lungs tomorrow as part of a study I volunteered for. The Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto were looking for ex-smokers (I quit three years ago) for a study on CATscans versus x-rays for detecting lung cancer. Tomorrow is an annual follow-up.

Lovely, delicate work on your rocks scrappie. I can see the splash too, but cannot see any waves on my screen. I'm very much a beginner so not sure my I'm suggesting the right thing to do, but you may have to darken some of the waves in places.