Home Forums Explore Subjects Figure, The Zulfija

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ian Bruce

I did this last night from a Domai photo. The paper I used did not lift out as well as some of the other paper I have been using. Unfortunately, I lost the name of the photographer so I can’t give him or her credit. It is a stupendous photo. I know that a drawing or painting is supposed to improve on the reference photo–but it is a bit tricky in this case!

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Ian , the [FONT=Arial]hopeful aspirer.

Any C&C I may make is based on the theory that even the act of disagreeing with one of my lousy suggestions may still spark an inspired idea.

trevors

This girl is still on the site Ian.
            I think you have the background a little fussy but the figure is lovley light and shade.

osyang

Nice body modelling! Be careful with the rib cage and the dark shadow in the middle. Points to check: curve of the forearm and size/position of the head…
                Cheers,

[FONT="Arial Black"]Osmar

TinaC

Its a lovely pose and would make a good painting. I am curious to see the photo now too.

My Blog
                    Facebook

[/COLOR]

WC Lee

good work on this :) and I second Osmar’s crits.

W.C. Lee
                        My Blog :: Facebook :: All C&C welcomed

Trying is the first step towards failure. - Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Sonni

Nice rendering. I think all you need to do is lift off some of the highlights so the figure has more volume and either lighten or darken the background in some of the areas so there’s a definite contrast going on. What paper are you using? I have some stuff I really hate for pastel, though it works OK for charcoal.

--Hard critiques always welcome.
                            [FONT=Arial]More stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/27594229@N06/
                            However you choose to paint, get it right in every necessary respect. That does not mean "tight" or detailed. [Richard Schmid]

larubia

Yes it works overall very well…only the face looks too small and agree with Sonni about getting a bit more contrast then you’ve done it!

if not now, when?
                                http://larubia.blog.co.uk

nice work Ian… and lots of useful comments here too!

Mac

Ian Bruce

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Trevor, I only subscribed to the site briefly and downloaded sufficient photos to keep me busy for a year or two (since I don’t work from photos too often). The photographers name is at the bottom of the photo but too small for me to read. Tina, I have included the crop of the photo I used, and the original. There are a number of possible crops that would make a good painting. I was thinking of using just transparent red oxide and possible French ultramarine. Sonni, I did this one on a Canson pad. I also have a Daler Rowney pad that a friend gave me that allows more successful lifting. They are both pretty cheap but very different.

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Ian , the [FONT=Arial]hopeful aspirer.

Any C&C I may make is based on the theory that even the act of disagreeing with one of my lousy suggestions may still spark an inspired idea.

Sonni

Wow, great pose, especially with the water and a foreshortened knee. Can we use it, too?

However you choose to paint, get it right in every necessary respect. That does not mean "tight" or detailed. [Richard Schmid]

trevors

Ian this photo is on the non members section,
                                            Sonni Some of the photographers allow non commercial use you can find out if you study the site this is the link to that photo
                                            http://www.domai.com/pics/big/28-5-2008/zulfija-0188a.jpg

Adair_P

Ian, you know how to choose the poses… and this one is gorgeous! You have rendered the body beautifully…. her arm seems to be a little thick and her face a little small…… but still, a very lovely drawing.

TinaC

The photo is indeed inspirational, a great pose plus lots of lovely variations in skintone, I can see why you chose it. I have just looked at Domai for the first time and its quite a resource. I found the photographers name Vlad Egorov, which is on the list which says its OK for amateur use but if anyone accidently produces a priceless masterpiece they had better make contact. Great crop by the way Ian.

My Blog
                                                    Facebook

[/COLOR]

Sonni

:rolleyes: No danger of me coming up with a priceless masterpiece… Thanks for the info. I’ll check out the site anyway. It’s good to have stuff in reserve when there’s no model.

OK

Nice job Ian, what medium are you using in this sketch? :wave: Dave

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
                                                            — Allen Ginsberg
                                                            Are you ready for a Journey?
                                                            PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.