Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking Hot Plate for Etching

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Sirfishalot

I made this 12x 18 hot plate to use for warming plates for applying ground and applying ink. I’ll set an electric hot plate underneath it. Any suggestions for fastening the plate to the frame?
        The plywood is only 1/2” thick. If I’d had a router I might have set it just inside the frame making it flush with the plywood. I’m thinking of drilling holes at the edges and use some smaller screws to hold it in place. That would render it not very useable should I decide to use it as a plate to etch in the future. Now that I think about it, maybe I should just use a less expensive metal plate sized to fit just inside the frame on plywood shim set to have it flush out at the top and just gravity set.

Thanks for looking and any feedback,
        JayT

blackandwhite

If you want to be able to reuse the plate, I would use few drops of some elastic glue (silicone or similar) that can be removed later.

Copper is good in spreading the heat, so if you would switch the plate to some cheaper material, it is very likely that the plate would have to be much thicker. It all depends on that how you will transfer the heat to the plate, how large are you etching plates, and so forth.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.