WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2002, 04:45 PM
Enthusiast
Lausanne, Switzerland

Hails from France
Celadon

Hi there
I have a request for a bead with a celadon base. I thought about using opalino but I need to add decorations that I can only do using the normal colors and I am afraid of breakage. Any suggestions ?
Thanks
Anne
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2002, 04:52 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Philadelphia, PA

Hails from United States
try the very pale emerald green over white or maybe over ivory. It will probably be lighter than you want, but it's the closest thing I can think of, and very pretty.

To those who question the real value of the Web: Sea slugs. Now, please fall into a respectful silence, and don't speak again until you understand why you were wrong.
-- James Norton (in Flak Magazine's review of the Sea Slug Forum)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2002, 05:23 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco Bay Area

Hails from United States
Carolyn Driver posted her recipe for celadon awhile back - it is sage, dark grey, and grass green, in equal parts. I haven't tried it yet, but some other folks have and said it's gorgeous. (Kinda like everything Carolyn does...)

By the way, Anne, silly question: how do you say glass beads in french? We have a guy here at work who saw some of my beads and wanted to translate it into french, but didn't know how. Neither did I.

Jumping Jack Glass... and Peanut too! / My Blog / My Main Etsy Shop
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2002, 06:14 PM
Enthusiast
On the water

Hails from United States
I have used Carolyn's recipe and got a lovely shade of celedon. One of the beads I just auctioned off "Seafoam Barnacle" has that glass on the ends of the base bicone.

I use a postal scale to measure out the glass by grams. Then attach the pieces, one by one, to a steel punty and mix.

-M

Submit to a daily practice. Your loyalty to that is a ring on the door. Keep knocking, and the joy inside will eventually open a window and look out to see who's there. - Rumi
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2002, 07:38 PM
A Local Legend
Across Puget sound From Seattle

Hails from United States
MONA!!!!!!!!!!! that bead is fantastic!!!!!!!!
and...I know that one of the new colors we are waiting on frantz for is celadon...at least I think so

CATS! can't live with them, Can't live without them!
Why do they lay in your path and refuse to move out of your way and then complain bitterly when you trip over them?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2002, 12:46 AM
Enthusiast
On the water

Hails from United States
Thanks, !ngrid. You are so sweet.

Hey, I sent you a package. Thanks for the use of the mags.

-M

Submit to a daily practice. Your loyalty to that is a ring on the door. Keep knocking, and the joy inside will eventually open a window and look out to see who's there. - Rumi
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2002, 02:11 AM
A Local Legend
The Carolinas

Hails from United States
Mona, what a wonderful bead! I love the colors combination and the way you are able to get just enough "decoration" without going overboard! Keeping it simple in style and form!
That takes discipline.

Anne, I have had great luck using the Opalino, and in the Celadon (jadish) green color, with decorations of Moretti all over them and never had one to break of react strangely. I like to use the Opalino and if you take it slow, you should not have a problem. IMHO!
Let me know what you do.
THe best,
Beth
"In the South, the breeze blows softer...neighbors are friendlier, nosier, and more talkative. (By contrast with the Yankee, the Southerner never uses one word when ten or twenty will do)...This is a different place. Our way of thinking is different, as are our ways of seeing, laughing, singing, eating, meeting and parting. Nothing about us is quite the same as in the country to the north and west. What we carry in our memories is different too, and that may explain everything else." --Charles Kuralt in "Southerners: Portrait of a People"
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2002, 03:16 AM
Enthusiast
Lausanne, Switzerland

Hails from France
Quote:
[i]
By the way, Anne, silly question: how do you say glass beads in french? We have a guy here at work who saw some of my beads and wanted to translate it into french, but didn't know how. Neither did I. [/b]

Thanks for the info.

Glass beads in French is perles en verre... why did he want to translate it ??
Anne
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2002, 03:23 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Philadelphia, PA

Hails from United States
because everything sounds so classy in French?

(even things like "booger" ... the things one learns by hanging out on glass forums ...)

To those who question the real value of the Web: Sea slugs. Now, please fall into a respectful silence, and don't speak again until you understand why you were wrong.
-- James Norton (in Flak Magazine's review of the Sea Slug Forum)
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2002, 05:39 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco Bay Area

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Emily
because everything sounds so classy in French?

(even things like "booger" ... the things one learns by hanging out on glass forums ...)

LOL! booger, yeah...

kind of strange - the guy who asked me had a heavy french accent - he name is christian - guess he never said "beads" before.

Jumping Jack Glass... and Peanut too! / My Blog / My Main Etsy Shop
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2002, 10:28 AM
Enthusiast
Lausanne, Switzerland

Hails from France
Now I am not that sure "booger" woud sound classy in french...

Anyone wants to guess ?

Anne
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2002, 04:02 PM
Lord of the Arts
Boston, MA

Hails from United States
Humh,

Now that would take looking it up in my French slang dictionary which is unfortunately at home. I never managed to learn a lot of slang during my year in Paris but I can read just about any art historical text. I still use my French everyday in my job along with the normally useless degrees in history and art history. Too bad I never learned to speak the language fluently .

Debbie
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2002, 06:59 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States
I make a nice celadon by mixing ivory, pastel "pea green" (I can't remember the number, but it is the lightest moretti pastel green) and a tiny bit of transparent cobalt. This makes a wonderful, stable celadon. If too much cobalt is added the color grays a bit. Sorry, no photos.