Home Forums The Learning Center Student’s Dorm What to do with all these paintings?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    escalemodels

Hi Everyone,
        I’ve only been painting for about 5-6 weeks now and I am already overcrowded with all these paintings. My paintings are obviously what you would expect from someone who has not painted before, but I’m happy with each and every painting being an improvement on my previous painting. I can see that a year down the track I am going to need a room just to store them all. So what are the options? What do you do with all your paintings?

I have started giving some away to family and friends but I can see that will soon not be an option at my current rate of production. I don’t want to slow down either as I’m keen to learn and progress, and for me that means paint and paint and paint some more.

ona

Hi:wave:

Why not make notes with each painting about what you think worked, what didn’t and what you learnt and then stick them in a scrapbook. Your paintings and notes then become a working journal and will be great to look back on and refer to. I still try to learn one new thing each painting I do. Its a good strategy to have because then you constantly grow as an artist.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do with your paintings.

Ona

escalemodels

Thanks Ona,

I’ve been doing that with the smaller studies, I guess I could take the larger studies off the frames and do a very similar thing… good idea… thanks.

Orian

I’m assuming these are on canvases…

If space is an issue you could always just take a decent quality picture of your paintings and the recycle the canvases for future paintings (gesso over the old painting and start a new one. You may even find you like the surface texture of the smooth gesso!) . Maybe not the most desirable course of action but it is always an option. (me and most of the people I know at college tend to recycle our canvases if needed).

"When you gaze upon the efforts of humanity, you witness, in both believers and non-believers alike, the never-ending quest toward the Divine."

http://dryanlompe.carbonmade.com/
                    http://oriantheblack.deviantart.com/

womble

I say paint over them. If you’re interested in seeing your progression take a photo and then say goodbye. Maybe save a couple so your granny or whoever can have one of your very first paintings, but really they’re not work keeping. It’s hard, especially when you’re first starting and pleased with yourself, but it’s best to learn not to be too precious with your work. Hold on to them for a bit and then you’ll find it easier to get rid of/sell/paint over work. Eventually you may learn to hate your older work like a lot of artists haha.

bliblob

yeah. you’ll get to where you can’t stand the sight of them

Art_by_Angie

:wave: Hi Peter, Keep painting!!! I checked out your blog. Your paintings look great. You are doing well to only have been painting for a short time. I know alot of people say to paint over them.. but I suggest giving them away. You never know how people will be blessed to get a painted picture just because.
                                Angela

brushoff

There are many places that have fund raising auctions such as schools, churches, hospitals, etc. etc. I would take a picture of them first then you can watch your progress, then donate them. Don’t forget to sign them because who knows, someone might want you to do a painting for them. I would attach a card to the back with your contact number.

“Begin to see yourself as a soul with a body rather than a body with a soul.” Dr. Wayne Dyer

Horsa

I take digital photos of all my paintings. then I feel liberated to toss them, sell them, give them away, etc. I still have a record of the image for my self.

Definitely put your contact information on the back of any you send out into the wide world.

My Painting Blog: http://adkpainter.blogspot.com/

This is our ART: useless, boring, impotent, elitist, and very, very beautiful.

RachelFlyer

Hi Everyone,
                                            I am already overcrowded with all these paintings. … I can see that a year down the track I am going to need a room just to store them all. So what are the options?

Hi Peter,
                                            Canvases take up a lot of space – we have three painters in our household, and it really adds up. Three suggestions:
                                            1) Take requests: the painting will have a home as soon as it’s finished.
                                            2) Have a painting wall: fill every conceivable space on one wall – think of it as wallpaper using canvases. Some people do this with photos.
                                            3) Paint on loose sheets of canvas, instead of wrapped canvas. Tape the canvas to a board or drawing table, while you’re working on it. These take up almost no room to store, and you can always frame them later. I use loose canvas for experimentation, images that will need to be scanned, and graphic design jobs.
                                            Whatever you do, keep painting!

Rachel

--------------------
                                            Laugh when you can

csm5479

hey there,

so i am in the same boat as you are. what i am doing is designing my own canvas rack storage system to go in my closet, similar to what is in the studio at my school. i used to hate to paint over them because i always have thought that it would offend the painting, but i have no more room. my mom works at Sport Chalet and brought home a huge snowboarding box that i promptly filled and keep under my bed. i have one other normal box in my closet, and use the spaces between furniture and the walls to keep them. even so, i still have some large ones that don’t fit in my closet or under my bed, and have to be inconveniently left in the open for me to trip over :)

it’s a system that has served me well living in the dorm, but now that i have moved home, my storage is limited even less (teeny house with 5 people living in it… ugh). so i am forcing myself to look at everything i have, photograph it, and paint over the less successful ones (which i believe to be a majority of them. progress in your current work makes you realize this.)

if you are interested in looking at some of the storage rack ideas i’ve found and that have inspired my own design, let me know and i can share the link!

good luck!

"Art is meant to disturb." - Georges Braque

To me the obvious answer is to sell them or save them. Even an early van gogh would be worth alot.

Keep in mind that if you store things in a normal cardboard box, the artwork could asborb any acids in the cardboard. If you do need to store this way, buy a roll of glassine to wrap the artwork in first. This will protect the artwork, and if acrylic paint is used, will help them not to stick to each other when it gets hot.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                              • The topic ‘What to do with all these paintings?’ is closed to new replies.