Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Oil Painting – Hall of Fame A Painting a Day Challenge! Plus some changes,,,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 649 total)
  • Author
    NancyMP

I’m setting up three options for a painting a day, starting with February. Everyone is welcome to participate, whether you’re a beginning painter or an accomplished one.

Here’s the deal!:)
        For those who have the time to do it and post it here, it’s APAD (A Painting A Day).
        For those who want more time per painting, there’s APE3D (A Painting Every Three Days).
        For those who want to take a week for a painting, there’s APEW (A Painting Every Week).

I will likely be one of those on the APEW, because I’ve had some health problems recently. And just between you and me – and I just know you would never squeal on me – this means you can jump in right now for the third option for more time before February’s here!

So join up now, and do what you love to do: paint!:wave: :clap:

Nancy http://nancyparkfineart.com
        All human beings are dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together. - Jack Kerouac

AnnieA

Thanks, Nancy! The APAD you hosted a couple of years ago was fun, if exhausting, so that’s great that you offered some additional options. I’ll try for your APE3D, but I may have to go APEW myself. :D

To everyone else: these challenges are a great way to increase your skills quickly – my paintings improved substantially after taking part a couple of years ago – so please join us!

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
            [FONT=Palatino]
            “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

NancyMP

Annie, I was incredibly proud of how quickly you became better, and I hope some of the newbies will give it a try.

By the way, new painters, I want you to know this isn’t a place you will feel bad about your paintings, because we don’t do critiques here, but do comment kindly on your efforts, with maybe an occasional suggestion. Nancy

All human beings are dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together. - Jack Kerouac

juliet45

Sounds good Nancy.
                    Can we mix and match. Say for example APAD for a few days followed by APE3D or some such plan? May sound a bit confusing but sometimes I like to work quickly and sometimes I like to take a bit longer.

Irena

NancyMP

Sounds good Nancy.
                        Can we mix and match. Say for example APAD for a few days followed by APE3D or some such plan? May sound a bit confusing but sometimes I like to work quickly and sometimes I like to take a bit longer.

I thought someone might want to do it that way, Juliet! The reason I offered the three options is a personal one: I had a bad illness take me out of the picture, and realized that a regular daily painting is too much for a lot of people. Using a schedule is a timed way to turn out worthwhile art.

So I thought how much better I would feel if I only did four paintings a month. It’s still four paintings I wouldn’t have on hand to place in my gallery for sale, or just to boost my goal of having 300 or more paintings by the time I die. One of the reasons I separated it into three units is that, if you keep a schedule, you can estimate your output and improve your work at the same time.

If you don’t want to paint on some kind of schedule, maybe you could post on What’s On Your Easel instead.:clear: :crossfingers:

Nancy

juliet45

Ok thanks. I will think about what I want to do.

Irena

NancyMP

Actually, now I’m thinking that maybe you’re right, Juliet.

There may be others out there with crazy schedules who will need to participate. My main purpose is to bring only three options because I was thinking of 1: Shy beginners who might gain some knowledge on improving without taking the risk of having their first paintings get bad critiques. 2: I also wanted to give all the artists the chance of seeing how keeping schedule will end up starting a trend of making the paintings on a timely basis.

I really don’t mean to leave you out, so you may post at any time that suits you, and in this thread. What’s On Your Easel may be better for you, since you paint when you can. It’s just that WOYE has some very accomplished artists posting their work. If I do something I really think I like a lot, I post it there, but I’m far from the highly skilled artists who post there regularly.

juliet45

Thanks again Nancy. I don’t want to throw your schedule out and make life difficult.
                                    I am a little wary of committing to one a day as I have had various problems arise recently to take me away from painting. What I will do is prepare my supports and gather my reference material together and make a decision at the start of the month.
                                    And thank you for pointing me in the direction of WOYE. I have not looked there before. I rarely if ever do a painting I really like but I don’t mind criticism at all as I feel it helps me improve.

Irena

MarkMark

Sounds like it could be fun.. I will have to get some panels made up I can buy Masonite boards pre cut in different sizes from my art shop ( much more expensive than if I just shopped a board and cut it down myself) but I am just too darn lazy and it all seems like to much faf and boards arent so expensive anyway

juliet45

I will have to get some panels made up I can buy Masonite boards pre cut in different sizes from my art shop ( much more expensive than if I just shopped a board and cut it down myself) but I am just too darn lazy and it all seems like to much faf and boards arent so expensive anyway

I agree. I often prepare my own boards but I am beginning to think it takes too much time and effort that could otherwise be spent painting.

Irena

AnnieA

I’m glad you two, Irena and Mark, reminded me about the need to get some panels prepared. February was still seemng a long way off to me, but it’s nearly here! And Irena, good idea about getting reference material ready ahead of time too – that would have been a huge help last time.

Nancy, for the last APAD you encouraged newbies (and everyone else) to post even their paintings that didn’t work. I hated doing it – I had a couple that were utter failures – but somehow posting them anyway motivated me to paint more and to continue with the challenge. I hope that’s still the approach.

I rarely if ever do a painting I really like…

Irena, I can’t believe that’s how you feel! I remember some gorgeous moody landscapes of yours from the last challenge.

Mark, here in the states, artists can go to lumber stores that carry masonite in large 4×8-foot sheets and get it cut into smaller sizes. The place I had this done charges extra for each cut, but it still works out to less then what the same amount of boards cost in an art shop and it’s the same material. I did this quite a number of years ago. I don’t remember what the per cut charge was, but the 4×8-foot board itself was only $15 or so. The only drawback is you have to purchase the entire 4×8-foot piece – you’ll end up with lots of panels though So then it’s only a question of preparing the pieces, but you’d need to do that with the art store ones too (unless you were talking about the gessoed boards, which really are pricey). I’m curious about the process you all use to prepare your boards…there are so many alternatives posted here at wc, and I’d like to use the easiest one that results in an archival surface.

Nancy, I’m thinking I may use the time to do copies of the work of other artists I admire. Would that be kosher, or should the works all be original?

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                                [FONT=Palatino]
                                                “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Marie-Thomas

I think I will commit to a painting a day but I will be off to a bad start since we have a funeral on the first of my husbands grandmother. I will see how I will handle that.

Thanks for all the explanation. I haven’t painted a lot sinds july and I feel braver now that I know we can also post our our failures. I expect lots of them but hope to improve fast like mentioned above.

:wave:

NancyMP

Hi, Mark! I’m glad to see you signing up!

Irena, I’m flexible, mainly because I hate the idea of missing out on your work. I’m not really all that good with scheduling my days, either!

Annie, I know that copying the best paintings of the masters is very educational, because I do it myself. As a matter of fact, three of my friends here and I rented a gallery in December for doing copies, and called it “The Magnificent Forgers.” Not much got sold, because the gallery sitters took a bunch of holiday time off, but it was a lot of fun, and I have sold many copies from my own gallery. My advice would be to do originals and copies both, because we learn so much from copying the masters.

NancyMP

Marie-Thomas, welcome!

juliet45

Annie, I often have MDF cut to size at my local wood shop where they do it for free. Then I give the boards a coat of GAC-100 front, back and sides. Then I give them three coats of acrylic gesso on one side only allowing 24 hours in between each coat. It is a bit cheaper but by the time I have bought the boards and gesso and spent a lot of time (days) preparing them I am not sure how cost conscious it actually is. I suppose it depends how much you value your time.

I have quite a few boards already prepared plus some ready made small canvas on cardboard. But I wanted to try a coat of oil paint over the gesso to see if it made a difference to the painting. And I have been putting an imprimatura on some boards.

Irena

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 649 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.