Home Forums Explore Subjects Artwork from Life Scavenger Hunt #536 – March 28 – April 6, 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts!

If you’ve done at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one, we’d really appreciate it! You can sign up by posting your name and the current hosting list stickie on Artwork from Life forum: https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366347

Rules for Hunting:

* All items on the list must be sketched from life–not imagination nor photo references
    * Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed to by unanimous vote among the participants
    * You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count those objects as separate list items, but no single object can count for more than one list item.
    * All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you sketch and post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.

Do as many or as few items as you like; you don’t have to finish the entire list to participate! You don’t have to comment on every post, but comment, if and when you can.

Scavenger Hunts last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.

Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you to do each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are also welcome!

Shower head
    something with a grid
    feet
    flat
    puffy
    a pencil
    a pair of??
    dangles or hangs
    keys
    from foreign country
    elephant
    magazine advertisement
    car part – ( challenge – the engine)
    money
    rubber band
    paper clip
    clothes pin
    light switch
    gear
    free space- your pick!
    has holes
    food object
    store front or a house
    something outside
    basket
    something in a foreshortened position

Robin
    The mediator between head and hands must
    be the heart. Harbou - Metropolis
    http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/

Eye

Robin: Thanks for the list.

Ai

Painting is my soul. My blog.
        https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/01-Feb-2009/4926-ai_signature_Feb09.gif

Eye

Hello everyone… we are low on host names on Scavenger Hunt hosting thread. Pls. consider helping the Hunt by signing up to host some Hunts in the open slots in https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366347&page=55. Thanks.

Ai

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/01-Feb-2009/4926-ai_signature_Feb09.gif

Thanks for the list Robin!

My blog https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/
            My website https://jocastilloart.com

eyepaint

Thanks Robin for the new list :)

-- EP Moderator for:
                All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Hi Everyone!

I sketched poorly in the big book with Prismacolor 01. Not very inspired today, so extra lazy.
                Number 1, food object
                Number 2, money
                Number 3, rubber band
                Number 4, paper clip

JO—-YAY:thumbsup: for you……you get extra points for sketching when you were not inspired!!!!……:heart:

car-engine – I did not like doing it and then started to get into it and then the brush pen ran out…..

shower head…..sketched the shower head and just couldn’t stop…not a fantastic sketch but I really enjoyed it:evil: Hope to pass the joy on to ya’ll…:grouphug:

Robin
                The mediator between head and hands must
                be the heart. Harbou - Metropolis
                http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/

Eye

Oh Yes, Robin: the joy of you sketching is passed on to me…:heart: :heart: :heart:

Jo: Cool first set…

Ai

Pine Cone

Robin – Thanks for a fun list!

JoC – I’m sorry you were feeling down, but your sketches are lovely – I hope you feel better soon :heart:

Robin again – Good grief – two really complex, really amazing sketches. You sure hit the ground running for this SH! That car engine is amazing to follow around all the lines and corners!

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces[/color]

Pine Cone

item #1 – “outside”

sketch of an acrylic-painted barrette with a raised streak of sun (relief?)[/color]

In 2013, I painted a barrette with acylics; called it “Spirit Path.” Didn’t wear it for a long time because I figured it might crack.

Finally wore it on a semi-hike awhile back and it was attacked by a tree branch :lol: I pulled it free of my hair, but dropped it. I couldn’t find it at first in the carpet of leaves and needles and twigs. Then I stepped on it. It survived, but it was pretty gritty and even had a glob of mud on it, which actually probably protected it when I stepped on it. Just sunk right in :lol:

It’s just been sitting around for ages, but I finally got around to trying to fix it today, and I thought it might be fun to sketch it while I was at it.

I’m putting it as “outside” instead of “free choice” because of what the poor thing went through on our jaunt. :eek: Plus, it can be seen as a path through ice or snow, a path on water, a streak of sun on ice, an arrow on a signposted mountain path, or any number of other things, all representative of the outdoors.

Full Disclosure: The sun streak and both edges are coppery in real life, but my attempt to portray the copper glints was a total fail.

Tools:

iPad Pro, Apple Pencil

Procreate app for the sketch.

Art Studio Pro app for the downsize, crop, border, and export.[/color]

Process:

Virtual acrylic on virtual panel.

Freehand, no drafting tools or tracing, digital or otherwise.

No grid or smoothing or symmetry or cloning, digital or otherwise.

No filters or effects. No color intensification or exaggeration.

Reference located a few inches away.[/color]

jmfletch

Jo – Props for sketching even when not in the groove. An nicely done too.

Robin – I think Pine Cone said it all. WoW! The engine is kinda mesmerizing. You got a lot of detail in the shower head. Kewl!

Pine Cone – I disagree on you Full Disclosure. The splash of copper is definitely there. Loved the outdoorsy story that goes with it. I have commented before but say it again, you put so much thought into your sketches which shows in your creations. Thanks.

I am off to attempt the shower head in the main bath.

Keep sketching
                                Joe

“The act of art can be so relaxing after you get over yourself.” - Quoting Robin

jmfletch

Got a two-fer done. Started to do the shower head and it suddenly clicked that tile is a grid do expanded the sketch. Done using 4H and 4B on maybe a 1/4 page in 9×12 in sketchbook.

1 Showerhead
                                    2 Grid

I tried to capture light gray tile with one row of white. Also tried to show faint reflection in the tile.

Keep sketching
                                    Joe

LOL just noticed the slope of the corner. The walls are straight. Honest.

“The act of art can be so relaxing after you get over yourself.” - Quoting Robin

Wow, Robin. Great on the engine. I know what you mean by hard to start then hard to quit sometimes. Ha. I think your showerhead is similar to ours. Nice job. I feel the love…..smiling.

Pine Cone, I agree with Joe on your sketches. The barrette is very good and looks copper to me. Fun that you painted it before — in a different way.

Joe, your drawing looks like mine when things lean to the left. Must have something to do with the way we hold the paper and write. I have to think to draw perpendicular lines. Maybe you were showing perspective. Nice drawing any way you look at it.

jmfletch

Joe, your drawing looks like mine when things lean to the left. Must have something to do with the way we hold the paper and write. I have to think to draw perpendicular lines. Maybe you were showing perspective. Nice drawing any way you look at it.

You might be onto to something jo. After reading your comment, I thought about it, when I have something on the table or desk to draw I have the paper in front of me and hold it vertical. When I draw standing or kneeling etc. I hold pad at angle in my left hand. I bet that has something to do with it as I am drawing at a different angle. (Could be subconscious perspective error too as I was leaning back on the counter looking up.)

Joe

Pine Cone

Joe and JoC – Thanks so much :)

Joe – I like your sketch! You thought of everything, even the hint of reflection! As for the lean, you and JoC (and all of us) are in good company: the Leaning Tower of Pisa is a very cool looking place! But really, you did good. Charming. Simple lines. An accent row. Nice work!

Everyone – To everyone celebrating holidays this week and/or next, have a wonderful time :grouphug:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.