Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Palette Talk Painting blurry backgrounds

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Does anybody have any advice on how to paint a blurry background? Even just some examples of paintings that have them?
    I’m working on some Poppys and in the referance behind the main flowers are more flowers and greenery that is blurry. Having a bit of a time getting it to look like I want.

I’ll post a in progress pic later. I was just hoping there might be someone who might have some pointers.

Thanks!
    Twyla

Visit my online gallery

All my work is copyrighted and may not be copied or reproduced in any form without written permission from me.

Elegant Equines photo Reference CD NOW available:
    www.kodiaknet.com/ironhorse/photocd1.html

Nacre

Well I’m no expert but the way I paint a blurry BG is to do it wet in wet. Mask anything you don’t want the BG colour, then when the masking is dry, wet the BG and drop in the colours of choice. But if you want trees, mountains or leaves etc. to show up, but fuzzily try to gauge the wetness of the paper and if the paper is not too wet the trees, leaves ,flowers or whatever will blurr slightly but still be a tree or whatever. here is a photo of trees done wet in wet. hope this helps some

Others more qualified will probably be along soon with excellent advice

Art is Art .

Christie

Good advice.:) My only problem is waiting until the paper is the “right” wetness for trees. :rolleyes: :D

Do all you can with what you have, in the time you have, in the place you are. -Nkosi Johnson Twelve-year-old Zulu boy, living with AIDS
            Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Cathie Jones

Good advice.:) My only problem is waiting until the paper is the “right” wetness for trees. :rolleyes: :D

Meeeeee too!! :D My middle name is NOT Patience!

mirizar

I was born without patience! :)

Hi Pearl! What green did you use for those trees? I love the way they diffuse into the background!

Michelle

Nacre

Michelle, I didn’t use any green, the trees were done wet in wet. after the sky dried I rewet it ( just with clear water) then I used a mixture of burnt sienna ,french ultramarine blue and painted the trees and when that dried rewet again and went over with a mix of yellow ochre and fr, ultra marine blue and that makes a blueish green.

Art is Art .

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.