Home Forums Explore Subjects Still Life 🙋 Is it wrong to have two objects a similar size❓

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Thinky

Someone told me I shouldn’t make two things a similar size, for example this vase and apple are “too similar in size”, but why is that bad? :clear: :confused: What if they’re actually a similar size in real life?

goldensun

Someone told me I shouldn’t make two things a similar size…

Probably to increase contrast. Obviously this is just one of many existing ways to increase it. Since contrast is one of the most important things in a painting it is important to explore the many ways that exist to enhance it.
            But like everything in life, there are exceptions to the rule.
            By the way, I like your painting, beautiful colors and nice rendering of the objects.

Thinky

Thank you so much Goldensun, I really appreciate your suggestions!

It is often said that the truly innovative artists are the ones who constantly break the rules.

It is also often said that art is subjective, which basically means that there are no rules.

Personally, I’d say that so called ‘rules’ in art are actually more like ‘suggestions’ which can be useful but are by no means compulsory. If it works for you, just do it and to hell with the rules, after all, as goldensun just said, you made a beautiful painting, no matter what the rules say.

AllisonR

There is a lot of energy and movement in this painting. And wonderful color harmony. Everything seems to be painted loose, but not sloppy. The doll adds a lively interest to an otherwise calm scene.

Your sizes can be whatever you wish. As goldensun points out, various sizes can create contrast and interest in a composition. But this can also be done by varying saturation of color, using opposite values, using contrasting shapes or textures, using sharp crisp versus soft blended strokes… One can use some of these things to make contrast in a painting You have a lot of earthy and warm colors in your painting, which makes harmony. But then you have the dolls face, which is cooler whites and blacks, and so this creates contrast and interest enough.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                    brissie

As a uneducated drawer I love your colours and combinations and think the doll creates a focal point and anker. Wish I was so creative 💗💗

This is a superb still life. As long as one of the two objects is different in size, shape, texture, etc., it should work fine. You’ve done that here.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Thinky

Kay, I’m so glad to hear your thoughts, I’ve always loved your works on wetcanvas!

Brenda, I think you’re an amazing artist, and I feel honored that you approve of my choices!

Allison, so glad to hear your thoughts on how to create interest. I love your work and I’m so happy to hear from you!

Dave, wow, your art is stunning! so glad to hear your thoughts on breaking rules! I’m honored to have your advice.

Ms.Sakr

I like your colours!!

I think it has to do with how attention works; if they’re the same size they’ll fight for the viewer’s attention. Personally, I have not seen the vase until I read your post and looked again (also probably because its colour blends with the background). I think if the painting has more objects and the two objects with the similar size are place somewhat apart, there would be no problem at all.

Sara :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.