• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Rich.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    lisaastrup

hi.

I’m new into collage, so any advice , c and c is wanted.

here is urban spring, newspaper on canvas, 40×40 cm

Lisa Astrup

http://www.bricksite.com/astrupart
        c & c welcome anytime

JayJay365UK

Hi Lisa,

I like all the elements in this one, it’s very abstract, but all the blocks seem to relate to each other. I like the contrast between the mono and the coloured pieces as well – It’s a good start, I think!

I wonder how it would have looked had you torn the paper, rather than cutting it… perhaps for your next one?

lisaastrup

hi JayJay.

thanks for your reply. Yes torn would maybe have been good, I often
                stop my works too soon, don’t know why, something say…stop here. :wave:

Lisa Astrup

c & c welcome anytime

This is really impressive Lisa. I stop too soon also…very annoying habit.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

lisaastrup

This is really impressive Lisa. I stop too soon also…very annoying habit.

Yes it is, try sometimes to move on, but its difficult for me :rolleyes:

Lisa Astrup

c & c welcome anytime

Eraethil

“A painting is never finished – it simply stops in interesting places” – Paul Gardner
                        There is nothing wrong with continuing after a period where your painting stops for sightseeing at an interesting place. I sometimes can’t help myself and dive back into painting… but I always restrain if it is already hung on someone else’s wall! :lol:

This one does seem like it is in an enjoyable and interesting place, so call it finished (at least for now… )

A little critique item: the dark hemisphere becomes a focal point for me because it is the darkest dark and next to some light grey. I find with collage my biggest friend is value composition, and my biggest enemy is not having enough collage material. If I can just keep my highest value contrasts near the places where I want my focal points, the composition usually works out, even when the materials I have aren’t exactly what I need/want. In other words, sometimes picking the right value for a spot is more important than the visual imagery used in the spot.

[FONT=Century Gothic] [FONT=Century Gothic]Comments and critique actively sought and much appreciated! [/SIZE][/B]
                        Rick. . . [/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. .[/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic] . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR]pigment storm fine art[FONT=Century Gothic] . . . watch the paint flow![/SIZE]

Cyndi L

Good job! I agree with Rick, that the only spot that I find distracting is the dark hemisphere near the bottom. You also have high contrast between the blue sky and the night sky in the upper left, but this spot helps to lead my eye into the composition, whereas the one near the bottom stops my eye from going forward for some reason. What I sometimes do when this happens to me is to scan or photograph the piece and then look at it in Photoshop (or other program) with the colors desaturated. Color makes it really difficult for me personally to judge value, but value is top of my list for why my pieces fail. Second on the list for me is color intensity, but that is going to have to just be more a matter of experience for me!

lisaastrup

hi Cyndi.

Thanks a lot for the comment, there is so much to take care of.
                                I think I’ll paint that spot a bit lighter.

Lisa Astrup

c & c welcome anytime

Teddy

I like the architecture you chose :) really modern and very beautiful

✧  ☆  ✶  ✧        
                                    ✶ 
                                    ✮ 
                                    ✧  
                                    ✶ 
                                           ✮  ✧ ✮ ✶
                                               teds

lisaastrup

thank you, glad you like it :wave:

Lisa Astrup

c & c welcome anytime

ladypainter

Great work. I agree that maybe tearing the paper would work as well . Might soften hard edges but it depends on what you are trying to express really .

Elinor:wave:
                                            "keep your own time tickin"

lisaastrup

Great work. I agree that maybe tearing the paper would work as well . Might soften hard edges but it depends on what you are trying to express really .

thanks for your kind comments. is a expressing of living in the big city. :wave:

Lisa Astrup

c & c welcome anytime

tidal

I would be mixing it up with other materials on there ie get some overlaid print with paints or scratched in pen pencil or I don’t know but that’s just me and i am no expert on collage..but it looks to be your’e heading in the right direction :) I like it though what you have done it is telling story in pictures

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.