Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Library Oil Pastel Challenges February 2019 Oil Pastel Challenge and Chat!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    SarahY

Hello oil pastelists and welcome to the February 2019 oil pastel challenge and chat thread!

Feel free to post WIPs or ask for feedback. Work must be completed in oil pastel, but you’re welcome to post preliminary sketches etc as you go.

When posting please tell us the size, support, and brands of oil pastels used!

Photos:

More coming in the next post…

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
        \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
        Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

SarahY

And the abstract/imagination word is ”Serene”

SarahY

And since this is also a chat thread, I shall tell you briefly how I came to have the collared dove perched on my hand. I found him lying on the ground and, thinking he was dead, went over to move him to the bushes. He wasn’t dead, just barely. He had a tick in his head and a raging infection in his eye (the other side to the side in that photograph) and was unbelievably weak. I took him to the vets and paid for a course of antibiotics. Eyedrops three times a day for a week and he fully recovered, hurrah! That photograph was taken on the third day. Once recovered he was released near where I found him. I saw him again recently. The previously infected eye is still a little bit of a funny shape but looked perfectly healthy, and he was with another collared dove. I only looked after him for a week, but he was absolutely lovely and it was a joy to see him fly off afterwards.

Thanks for a lovely selection of references, Sarah! Such a great story of the dove and that it has recovered.

Christel

terriks

Sarah, thanks for hosting this month! A very nice collection of photos to choose from.

Wow, this dove is lovely and I am so happy to read this story of his recovery! I think it’s awesome that you took the time to help him. Our wildlife critters are so fundamentally healthy, they can take a lot, so when they actually receive some much-needed medicine in times of need, recovery can be fast. Great story! :heart:

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Mira

Sarah, cool to have you hosting the challenge! ;) I already know what photo will be my reference ;)

Touching story about the dove, you must be a real animal-lover! :) do you have any pets?

I love oil pastels and have created a blog about this medium. While the blog posts are in Russian, still I invite you to get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery

lisaastrup

so lovely references, even if a novice I’ll give it a try.

Nice story about the dove.

Lisa Astrup

http://www.bricksite.com/astrupart
                            c & c welcome anytime

SarahY

Hurrah, look forward to seeing your work, lisaastrup! :clap:

I have quite a few pets, Mira. A dog, various birds, and various rodents. I do love having animals in my life. I’m saving up for a parrot, very excited about that. Either a pionus or a caique, I’ve been researching both and they both look really suitable.

The dove was just lovely. He had no problem with being handled for his eyedrops and quite enjoyed being stroked. He certainly enjoyed the abundance of food he had. That said, he had no hesitation when it came to his release and took off as fast as he could :lol:

Sarah, I hope you don’t mind, but I’ve taken the liberty of changing the backgrounds using ac pour(no cells)for the cat. I know I’m breaking the rule but they turned out too cool not to post:angel: :lol: Both A4

Christel

SarahY

I completely agree – MUCH too cool not to post! Glad you did, they’re stunning, both of them! :clap::thumbsup::heart:

terriks

Terrific work on these backgrounds, Christel! I’m especially fond of the cat – the strong black and red is very pleasing (even though I see there is actually very little black here). These are both wonderful!

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Mira

Christel, I like them a lot!!! :clap: they are really way too cool! :lol:
                                            So unusual and bold! Awesome work :cat:

What is ac pours – acrilyc pours? And… I can’t understand whether you painted them and used acrilyc pours for the backgrounds OR or you just printed out the photos and edited the backgrounds just for fun?

I have quite a few pets, Mira. A dog, various birds, and various rodents. I do love having animals in my life. I’m saving up for a parrot, very excited about that. Either a pionus or a caique, I’ve been researching both and they both look really suitable.

The dove was just lovely. He had no problem with being handled for his eyedrops and quite enjoyed being stroked. He certainly enjoyed the abundance of food he had. That said, he had no hesitation when it came to his release and took off as fast as he could :lol:

Wow! A little zoo! :lol: you seem like an animal lover and I thought you must have a dog. Maybe because it feels like a cheerful and active dog suits your personality ;)
                                            Will this kind of parrot be able to talk? :)
                                            I love animals, most of all cats. Unfortunately I’m allergic to furry animals and am not allowed to have any pets at home :(

I had experience of taking care of a dove when I was a kid. I think we only kept him at home for one day, we thought his wing was broken or something. It was fun to keep him :) but yes, they do feel better being free :lol:

I love oil pastels and have created a blog about this medium. While the blog posts are in Russian, still I invite you to get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery

Thanks Sarah, Terri and Mira!
                                            The dove I painted with acrylic, the whole paper. Then I transferred my outlines, painted a layer of ac and then only op’s.
                                            The pours are done using thinned ac which are then poured in small amounts onto the background, then using something to move the ac and/or tilt the support to make the colors run. The painting is allowed to dry completely then.

Christel

We had a friend visiting with her peckinese. Here are 2 of our dogs

Christel

SarahY

Lovely dogs, tuscanny! :heart:

I tried out a 6×4 sample of Jackson’s eco paper, which is made from recycled cotton, I think. It was…interesting. It has a really, REALLY bumpy texture like painting on papier mache. When you put the colour down it looks likes this:

After some mad blending, it turned out like this:

All Senneliers for that impressionist texture.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.