Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Which books on color in watercolor painting?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

I know this has been asked before but not exactly this way nor can I find any recent discussions.
    https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371583&highlight=Dawn+Heim

I’m looking for books to learn about color theory and mixing and color science. This topic straddles photography / optics (white balance, color temperature, additive colors) and watercolor painting (subtractive colors). I also know it from physics and electrical engineering and I understand spectrum and color as defined by wavelength. I think a histogram as used in photo editing is similar to a color wheel. Even in the same field – photo editing, there are inconsistencies between light as depicted by spectrum and wavelength and light as depicted by color temperature. :confused:

Handprint has a section on books about color science and color theory. http://handprint.com/HP/WCL/book3.html They discuss 17 books, by:

john gage
    martin kemp
    hardin & maffi
    joy turner luke
    josef albers
    johann w. von goethe
    michel-eugène chevreul
    ogden rood
    nita leland
    hilary page (I have “Color, Right From The Start”)
    stephen quiller (I have his color wheel)
    jim kosvanec
    michael wilcox
    jim ames
    zoltan szabo
    charles leclair
    betty Edwards

However, Handprint finds fault with all of them. The most common criticism is that the books don’t use modern theory or research. Also, the reviews seem to have been made in the early 1990s so they don’t inclulde more recent books.

Handprint does provide essays on many color subjects, including MacEfay’s “guide to watercolor pigments.” That’s helpful but I want a book.

So, could you recommend more recent books on these subjects which take into account modern theories and research?

Pthalo White

https://iscc.org/%5B/URL%5D Inter-Society Color Council Sorry, I don’t know why the link isn’t working. Pull up Inter-Society Color Council on your browser. These guys do nothing but study color: scientists, artists, philosophers (Goethe, for example)

“The history of the Council dates to its founding in 1931, with the goal of advancing the knowledge of color as it relates to art, science, and industry. Each of these fields enriches the others, furthering the general objective of color education.”

Have fun!

Pthalo White

Good, good. It’s a great website with tons and tons and tons of information. You can also join the webinars, for a fee, of course. Hope you find the info you hope for.

I’m an amateurish color addict, myself. It’s a fascinating, never-ending field.

SnapV

For myself, I know that it’s not a “perfect” book and that it’s a bit old (2002) but I tremendously enjoyed Stephen Quiller’s Color Choices: Making Color Sense Out of Color Theory.

I actually learned so much of his examples and explanations and doing the exercises suggested really helped me with my use of colour. :)

Virginie

All C&C welcome: I want to improve!

I found only one substantive article in Phthalo White’s reference Inter-Society Color Council. http://hueangles.blogspot.com/ has the column Hue Angles, The YouTube Theory of Colour Vision.

That article challenges a popular theory referring to “long-, middle- and short-wavelength cone classes (L, M and S) as red, green and blue cones respectively.” This is very interesting and I’d like to know more.

Where else on iscc can I read about color theory? Where can I read more about color perception? What about other references, including books?

SnapV: as to Stephen Quiller’s Color Choices: Making Color Sense Out of Color Theory, since I was intrigued by his color chart I might as well read his theory and explanations. But what about Handprint’s criticism that:

“identifying complementary colors through paint mixing, as Quiller does, is a completely unreliable method for defining a color wheel. And he seems unaware that Sloan’s mixing triangle, like my artist’s color wheel, is based on additive paint mixing. Quiller’s approach implies that the mixing complements define unique hue complements — for example, all the paints that mix to gray with viridian are the same middle red hue. In fact, each blue or green paint may have several mixing complements, and these may be quite different in hue! The problem is compounded because Quiller offers his wheel to watercolorists and oil painters alike, even though subtractive color mixing behaves differently in these different media. ” ?

DMSS

You asked specifically for watercolor. The resources I’m going to mention are not specific to watercolor (except for Quiller), but are about color, which applies to watercolor as well as other mediums.

You asked for books, but I am going to start by pointing you to an excellent website by David Briggs, who frequents this forum, called The Dimensions of Color, http://www.huevaluechroma.com/%5B/URL%5D. The Dimensions of Color is chock full of important information, and is well written. I highly recommend it.

For books, Joseph Albers’s Interaction of Color is worthwhile, as is The New Munsell Student Color Set, Third Edition. James Gurney’s Color and Light is also very good.

Blue and Yellow Don’t Make Green, by Michael Wilcox, is much criticized for its inaccurate presentation of color science, and yet, even so, I still learned from it to distinguish between a yellow that looks more orange, and a yellow that looks more green. I also think Wilcox’s expanded palette suggestions are good. So, I have found that even though some books are not accurate in terms of science, they still help develop one’s color discrimination skills. If you read Wilcox, take the explanation of “why” things work as they do with a large grain of salt.

I think Stephen Quiller’s Color Choices is good, and very interesting about color design and harmony, even given Handprint’s criticism of the idea of perfect mixing complements.

This short video by Scott Naismith demonstrates CMY color theory, and I found it very helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQqxN8LpGzw.

There is a lot of good information in this forum, too. I did a lot of reading of old threads when I started out (and when I started I did not know that you could mix an orange with yellow and red).

All of that said, the more I paint, the more I am realizing that almost any palette selection will do, and that there are many approaches to mixing a given target color, dulling a color, darkening a color, etc. It all depends on what is on your palette. So, these days I try to use color theory to give me ideas about how to approach a mixing problem, but then I improvise from there. I don’t follow any one approach all the time. Also, I do have favorite colors that are usually on my palette, but I allow myself much more freedom in laying out a palette for a given painting than I did when I was a beginner. Possibly it is important to note that the more I paint, the less I am trying to mix an exact replica of a color in life or in a photo — I am more interested in harmonious, pleasing, interesting, sometimes provocative, color than in duplicating life or a photo.

I hope this is helpful.

--David

KolinskyRed

Steven Quiller’s wheel is great, he developed it over many years of teaching as a way to help artists get into using their paint tubes. It’s a brilliant piece of contextualization, and quite pioneering. Bruce MacEvoy heaps positive things on Quiller, begining with “[F]ar and away the best book to explain and use a mixing color wheel”, praise in both in the book review and elsewhere on the Handprint site. MacEvoy simply critiques the framework regarding complement mixing. That’s all, just one aspect about which MacEvoy has a different approach. And, I’d also like to share that there are critiques of MacEvoy’s Handprint approach to complements as well. To each his/her own, for sure. Grain of salt… baby and the bath water….

I’d like to share that in science and technology models are a generalization of reality, a reality we rarely fully understand in detail. All models, including colour models, have technical limitation statements. Unfortunately, these limitations are rarely understood especially so when the models are used outside their area of development and application. This is especially true with colour models. Seeking great detail from colour theory derived from such models can bog down the painting experience as we can’t transfer from the former to direct application all the time in every detail to the latter. But it is a fun journey of exploration, just have a large bag of intellectual salt at the ready for sprinkling about along the way. Context is everything. One example is that colour theory can’t account for the individual character of each paint, especially for the broad dichotomy of modern versus mineral pigments. That’s a big one in of itself, a huge shock if the learning artist isn’t ready for it.

My recommendations, just a sample, are:

Charting Color From the Eye, a reprint from American Scientist
                        The Color Curiosity Shop, Mark Fairchild

Freely available online by the authors as pdf’s.

The second title is a set of Q&A about colour, same set of questions presented at three levels of detail in the answers. Both slightly off topic for the OP, but very interesting for folks who enjoy exploring colour.

Lastly, David’s last paragraph in his post is especially spot on – excellent advice.

Thanks for all these references and links. :thumbsup: Among them as well as Google Scholar, WetCanvas, and HandPrint, there’s a lot of material to study.

I successfully used the Quiller Wheel last night. A book, Step-By-Step Guide to Painting Realistic Water Colors by Dawn McLeod Heim, presented an exercise using Permanent Rose and New Gamboge. I don’t have Permanent Rose. However, I do have Quinacridone Rose by Daniel Smith and this pigment is right next to Permanent Rose on Quiller’s Wheel. Success.

Thanks, KolinskyRed for your essay on models. I have a background in Math, Physics and Electrical Engineering so I understand what you’re saying.

I guess my question, directed to HandPrint, is: (As if 2002) You find fault with every single color book you review because they fail to accurately present modern theories. Are there any books, perhaps more recent books, which DO accurately present modern theories?

KolinskyRed

I just remembered, one of my favourites:

Vision and Art: The Biology of Seeing, Revised and Expanded Edition, 2014
                            by Dr. Margaret Livingstone

There were some problems with incorrect colour reproduction in the first edition, which were fixed in the 2014 edition.

Read it through the library system, and so enjoyed it I bought the new edition. It’s a richly rewarding read, and I often re-read it.

My local library has it so I’ll look at it soon.

Thanks for the reference.

I just remembered, one of my favourites:

Vision and Art: The Biology of Seeing, Revised and Expanded Edition, 2014
                            by Dr. Margaret Livingstone

There were some problems with incorrect colour reproduction in the first edition, which were fixed in the 2014 edition.

Read it through the library system, and so enjoyed it I bought the new edition. It’s a richly rewarding read, and I often re-read it.

Perception and choice of color is subjective. The study of color as we see it spans a wide range of topics like the chemical nature of the pigment, wavelength of visible spectrum, rods and cones in our retina etc.
                            As for books on watercolor mixing Betty Edwards is a basic one. “Making color sing’ by Jeanne Dobie is quite practical. As to theoretical possibilities in the treatment of color you can check out ‘ Watercolor Mixing. 12 Hue method’ by Christopher Willard. This author analyzes various paintings by different artists and their color combinations.

Thamaso Ma Jyothirgamaya.

Any comments on the following books?

I’ve started rereading a book inherited from my late father: Color Manual for Artists by Arthur L. Guptill, 1962, paperback published 1980. This book seems to be a sequel to Arthur L. Guptill’s Color in Sketching and Rendering. He seems to be a prolific writer.

At the very beginning, the former book references two earlier books on color: An Introduction to Color by Ralph M. Evans and The Science of Color by Thomas Y. Crowell. This last book was produced by the Optical Society of America.

Has anyone looked at any of these books? Are they worthwhile, considering when they were written?

Any comments on the following books?

I’ve started rereading a book inherited from my late father: [U]Color Manual for Artists[/U] by Arthur L. Guptill, 1962, paperback published 1980. This book seems to be a sequel to Arthur L. Guptill’s [U]Color in Sketching and Rendering[/U]. He seems to be a prolific writer.

At the very beginning, the former book references two earlier books on color: [U]An Introduction to Color [/U]by Ralph M. Evans and [U]The Science of Color[/U] by Thomas Y. Crowell. This last book was produced by the Optical Society of America.

Has anyone looked at any of these books? Are they worthwhile, considering when they were written?

I have this book in my library, Arthur L. Guptill’s Color in Sketching and Rendering and it is the best book on watercolors you can find (if someone else has a better book, let me know). If I had only one book for art, it would be that one. It is not just about sketching and rendering. It is shows you how to paint in watercolors from start to finish, as well as give you practical uses, predominately in architectural drawings and landscapes. Basically teaches you how to get your idea across to other people, the use of color theory, and how to overcome the problems in watercolors.

It is very thorough, and not a like a typical art book you find with three hokey paragraphs per chapter. It is actually an old school university book. I highly recommend it if you can find it! :clap:

KolinskyRed

Arthur Guptill ~ Guppy to his friends (love that!) ~ is fabulous. There’s his original book, second edition, on drawing in our local college library. It’s part of a bequest, and I enjoy having it in hand as the very high quality of the paper used, and hence the look of the drawings is phenomenal. His books were wildly popular and stayed in print for many years. It reached a point, and many years after his death, that re-printing them as-is would be prohibitively expensive, so more recent re-prints are on contemporary book paper.

I thought to check out the recommended Guptill title above, and found it is in an online collection called the Hathi Trust, great! I haven’t read this one.

“HathiTrust is a large-scale collaborative repository of digital content from research libraries including content digitized via the Google Books project and Internet Archive digitization initiatives, as well as content digitized locally by libraries.”

Not all entries in the collection are full text scans (depends I guess on copyright). This one is:

Color in Sketching and Rendering

The site recommended this as the permanent link to the book.

I’m enjoying it! Thanks for the post. It’s a gem for sure! Based on this, I’ll be asking for an interlibrary loan to have the real deal in hand.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.