WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2017, 10:40 AM
Enthusiast
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Scavenger Hunt #489: March 17-25

Hi all. I am a little behind this hunt. I am doing a quick post of 4items all done in Procreate on iPad.
1 coffeemaker- used HB and soft pastel brushes. (Actual pot is not lopsided. )
2 mug - HB brush ( one I never drew before for Jo's collection)
3 glass - HB and technical pencil brushes. Switched colors going for a cp look.
4 phone - HB

Be back later to comment but overall...WoW.
Keep sketching
Joe
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2017, 11:08 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Done with MicrosoftPaint with my fingers...

#7 glass

#8 not on the list -- a headphone

Painting is my soul. My blog.

Last edited by Eye : 03-24-2017 at 11:10 AM.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2017, 11:41 AM
Greenville, SC

Hails from United States

Ai - Nice low tech coffee maker. I like your finger paintings, nice an loose.
Sculptcha - Cool phone drawing. I will have to try that.
Ronin - Nice fun still life in pink
Joe - Nice clean drawings.

3. Bottle
Watercolor I did this in on drawing paper... not the bets choice

4. What you really feel like drawing but is not on the list. I have been wanting to practice some blind contour drawing. Pencil on newsprint
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2017, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

joan - Your hubby has good taste in pie and beeras well as women. Boat yard is on South Shore near Patchogue? Nice St Paddy's sketch. Spring flowers are beautiful. Another neat POV sketch!

Wayne - Nice POV sketch. Great interperetation on opener. Love the wc bottle. Shading in WC is tough for me. You do it well. That is awesome for blind contour. I think if it is recognizeable you have a success. You nailed it

Jeroen - as to car and camera I have flat run out of superlatives. The WIP is added bonus. Thanks

Scultcha - Chips and salsa go great with Joan's beer. My fav in this batch is the tape dispenser. Love the duck! As I said to Wayne... Great interperetation on opener. Shading on paper plane ia flawless! Love the mug of pencils. POV & Phone is cool. A true sketch! Nice!!

jo Neat POV sketch

Ai - Great plein air sketches at ramen shop. Can't get any simpler on coffee maker without going to instant. Opener is neat but bottle keeps taking my eye. Nice. Clean lines on the glass. Nice work on headset.

Robin - Your sketches always make me smile. You think outside the box in color and your ink line work is great.

Keep sketching
Joe
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2017, 08:09 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

I wrote the following a couple of days ago. I will try to finish now and post my measly sketch.
"Ai, love your colorful sketches from the noodle place. Nice work. I like noodles, too.

Jeroen, thanks for the wip. I admire your drawing skils. I can never be so patient. The camera is just amazing. Wow.

Joan, your dock and parade sketches are great. Love the bag pipes! The line drawings are so full of info, no doubt what they are. Gorgeous flowers! We both like to put our feet up!

Robin, looking forward to some sketches.

Sculptcha, awww, what a neat ducky. Well drawn, too. Love the colors. Good idea for opener and the airplane is very nice. Applause. And a new mug for me!

Wayne, I like the door handle. They always seem so easy and then are not. You did well!

I had overnight surgery- hiatal hernia. Got home Tuesday night but no internet yesterday. I am putzing around and feeling good. Liquid diet for a couple of weeks. Should be fine and should sketch today. Ha.
I did a sketch but can't load it. I will try later."
Today I finish with this:

Ai, mmmm on the Seven Up and opener. Clever coffee maker! The glass and headphones are great. Not easy to do on the computer....

Robin, I see your PINK sketches. They make me smile. Nifty bottle.

Scuptcha, great sketching on the phone. I started sketching on mine a long time ago, well, on Gene's as I didn't have one. Nice tool. I am drawn to my iPad now as a bigger screen.

Joe, I really like the coffee maker and "my" mug. Pretty glass. Phone looks good, too.

Wayne, nice bottle in color! Your hand is super. Blind contour is a good thing to practice!

Number 2, phone on my iPad with brushes. A real princess at the hospital. Ha. I could say I was under the influence but that would be a lie. Lack of patience is my normal way.
Winston Churchill
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2017, 09:09 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Thanks all for your kind words.

Jo: Wish you speedy recovery... good phone sketch.

Tone and I went to the hospital all day for Tone's eye super check-up. Good outcome though... but no time or energy to sketch...later

Last edited by Eye : 03-25-2017 at 09:12 AM.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2017, 09:58 AM
Enthusiast
Punta Gorda Florida

Hails from United States

Good wishes to you Jo and to Tone!

Jo Nice try on no patience but that curled phone line would have disappeared under 'artistic license '. We have a Princess phone stuck away somewhere in a closet. Nice sketch.

Joe
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2017, 06:21 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

I wasn't able to sketch for this hunt after all, but I'd like to comment on the rest of the sketches anyway - you guys are so amazing!

Wayne - Fun sketch of your setup, and your graceful door handle is beautiful! Terrific blind contour, and the beautiful green bottle is wonderfully captured.

Jeroen - Wonderful car sketch! Has the sketch crawl happened yet? Can you post pics?!!! Your camera story and drawing are wonderful... your work is superb! And thank you (times a zillion) for the WIP - it has mesmerized me

sculpta - Fun groups of sketches! Your Neocolor duck is a scene stealer! And you knocked it out of the park with that paper airplane!

JoC - Wishing you an easy recovery I love your POV sketch, and your ability to capture the "non-lines" of your feet under the cosy covers is superb! That princess phone is so cool: pink!!!

Ai - I hope Tone and you are well and rested I love your brush pen group of sketches - the colors of #3 are a strikingly beautiful combo. Nice gel pen, pencil, and MSPaint sketches as well!

Joan - Beautiful watercolr scenes! Fun ink sketches too, and esp. your POV: you look like you're having fun! The spring flowers are lovely - you must have an amazing yard!

Robin - Fun group of sketches! Pink!!!

Joe - Nice group, and I especially love the delicate pattern on the glass!
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2017, 12:54 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Wayne: Love your green glass bottle.. nice contour line

Joe: Fun set, I esp. love the coffee machine.

Jeroen: Thanks for hosting !!!!

#40   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2017, 09:35 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Sorry I didn't get more done, see all y'all next Hunt! Thanks, Jeroen.
Winston Churchill
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2017, 03:24 PM
Amsterdam

Hails from Netherlands

It's been my pleasure. Thanks for all the nice work and on to the next hunt
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2017, 04:51 PM
california

Hails from United States

Nice job everyone! This was really fun.

12. Cake, pie, and I think there were some cookies in there somewhere
13. Glass
14. Coffee maker

I had given up trying to finish but during errands yesterday I walked past a bakery shop and did a quick phone sketch. I did the coffee maker and a glass in a last minute effort to finish, but I ran out of gas. Onward to the next one!

I was looking forward to posting one of my favorite dishes to make, chicken tortilla soup, but didn't have everything on hand to make it. I will still post the recipe. Vegetarians can omit the chicken and sub water or veg stock for the chicken stock. It's still very good. This recipe should serve 6-8? I pieced it together using several different recipes and my own personal tastes.

It looks daunting because of all the ingredients, but aside from the time it takes to chop and prepare everything, it is a very simple soup.

Olive Oil
2-3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
1 large onion, diced (I use sweet onions, but any type will do)
6-8 (or more, I like more) cloves garlic, minced
2 cups sliced or diced carrots
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
spices should be adjusted according to your taste, but to start with:
Cumin 1 TBL
Chili Powder 1 TBL
Cayenne Powder 1 TS
Paprika 1 TS
Salt and Pepper (I use coarse Kosher Sea Salt)
1 small can of diced green chilies
1 can of diced tomatoes, juice and all (i use the roasted kind)
1 small can of tomato paste
1 can sweet corn (drained)
1 can black beans (drained)
(for all the canned veg you can use fresh, but cans are just easier)
1 qt chicken stock + 2 qt water (more or less depending on taste)
1-2 TBL corn meal
10 small corn tortillas, cut into strips

Garnishes (optional, but recommended):
Sour cream
crushed up tortilla chips, or fry your own strips
grated jack cheese
cilantro
diced red onion
avocado cubes

Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle a little of the spice mix, bake in 350 oven for about 30 minutes until fully cooked. Allow to cool, shred or chop into chunks and set aside.

Heat olive oil on medium or med-high and add onions, allow to soften, then add the carrots and cook for about five min. Add bell peppers, stir to combine, then add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes. Just don't let the garlic burn!

Add the spices to combine and let them toast for about a minute, then add the tomato paste and let that cook for a couple of minutes, stirring to keep from sticking and burning.

Pour in the tomatoes and green chilies, and scrape the bottom of the pot to deglaze it and get all the yummy stuff to recombine with the mixture.

Add chicken and combine, then pour in the stock and water. Pour in the drained corn and black beans, and allow to come to a boil. Put in the corn meal, and allow to simmer for about 45 minutes, or until all veg is tender (especially the carrots).

Check seasonings, add salt or other spices if needed. I like to go hard on the cumin, but not everyone loves cumin, so adjust to your tastes.

Once all the vegetables are tender and it tastes right, shut it off and stir in the corn tortilla strips and let it sit 5-10 minutes before serving.

Don't forget the garnishes.

Enjoy!
Attached Images

#43   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2017, 04:59 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Jeroen - Thanks so much for hosting! I meant to participate and hope you'll host again soon, so I can try again.

sculpta - That sounds like a great recipe! Thanks so much, and I enjoyed this batch of sketches! Yummy
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2017, 09:38 PM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Sculptcha: Wonderful quick digi. thanks for the recipe