Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing How to findmix the correct complementary color?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    forrie

Given a mix of color (be it a tint or shade), how can you correctly match the corresponding complementary color?

For example, I had a shade of blue for which the complement is orange. But I found that mixing the orange a little bit and I ended up with that “shimmering” effect that I was seeking. But, I don’t know how I came up with it! LOL

It occurs to me there must be a method to get there that doesn’t involve trial and error :-)

Could someone provide a pointer or two?

Thanks.

Delofasht

Oh wow this is going to be a complicated thread I can tell already, I too will be interested in other’s responses. For my own answer I consider the color to be mixed from a set of colors that I have can be difficult. The exact qualities you are looking for in complementary respects can vary nearly as much as the color you have.

So if I have a blue mixed from rather opaque colors then I will look for a mixature of orange mixed from opaque colors, and likewise if it’s all translucent then I’m going to want to mix from translucent reds and yellows. An example of mixing a complement for my Prussian blue would include using Transparent Yellow Oxide and Transparent Red Oxide. All transparent to keep the same quality of complement, as to the exact amounts that can vary greatly based on the shade of hue from your color. My blue is very dark and leans very slightly to green, so my orange should lean slightly to red.

When it comes to the value that’s going to make things even more complicated, and then the saturation as well. I find mixing up some grays useful to mix into my colors to get my saturation or value to match if I can. As soon as you add white or black into any mix though you end up making the colors more opaque and then the colors complements are going to be even more difficult to match as I have found them to have different levels of opacity.

So basically, outside of doing a lot of mixing with your palette you aren’t going to know what your colors are fully capable of. General theory will apply but consider the opacity of your paints carefully as well, as well as the properties of the color to be mixed with other paints of differing opacity. Also, one last difference is in how each person sees color slightly different, what I might see as a complement may in fact be different from what someone else sees. Good luck, it’s a journey I’m still on, as I expand my palette and individual color knowledge and different brands this is becoming easier but not an exact science.

- Delo Delofasht
            forrie

Thanks, Delo. Yes, this should be a complex thread; but will be good to read other’s perspectives. I just think I spend too much time on it, probably waste paint in the process.

It is something we learn as we go; more by doing (and wasting paint) LOL

Delofasht

Maybe scrape your bad mixes into a jar with a lid and use it to paint underpaintings or sketches? Handy to have mud on hand for that stuff. ;)

- Delo Delofasht
                    Mythrill

Given a mix of color (be it a tint or shade), how can you correctly match the corresponding complementary color?

For example, I had a shade of blue for which the complement is orange. But I found that mixing the orange a little bit and I ended up with that “shimmering” effect that I was seeking. But, I don’t know how I came up with it! LOL

It occurs to me there must be a method to get there that doesn’t involve trial and error :-)

Could someone provide a pointer or two?

Thanks.

Forrie, you can rely on a very small set of CMYK colors to apply color wheel theory to them. However, the color wheel theory is flawed when you expand it to a bigger array of pigments.

An example is Phthalo Green Blue Shade (PG 7) and Dioxazine Purple (PV 23, blue shade). Color wheel theory dictates that a mix of green + purple is always a color close to neutral, but mix this exact pair and you’ll get a very dark blue – close to Indigo (PB 66) – instead. There are many other examples: Green Gold (PY 129) + Quinacridone Magenta (PR 122) will give you a warm yellow instead of green, and Cobalt Teal Blue (PG 50) + Lemon Yellow (PY 3) will give you a saturated, light green, instead of just a light, desaturated grayish green.

Again, unless you rely on very narrow a set of colors, there is no way to predict exactly what their complement is.I suggest you do a color mixing chart with your pigments and keep it always handy, so you can consult it when you need. Not only is this approach a time-saver, but it also helps you to improve on color mixing! :)

WFMartin

Well, a great deal depends upon your specific goal for using a complementary color.

For example, if you goal is to darken a color, that often requires a different approach than if you are trying to gray a color.

In either case, though, the use of a neutral Black is quite effective.

Face the simple fact that if your were to mix enough Black, Or neutral gray with a color, you would inevitably reach a point at which it would begin to turn your color neutral, by the sheer volume of Black (or gray).

Using a neutral Black or Gray to neutralize a color (gray a color) is quite effective method to gray a color–or to darken it. Black darkens a color much better than using a complementray color because a complementary color eventually turns the original color neutral–sometimes before you have reached the level of darkness you would have preferred.

Black effectively darkens secondary colors (Red, Green, Blue), without changing their hues, and it will do so (without changing their hues, until so much Black has been added that if finally becomes “Black”. However, Black will shift the hues of primary colors if mixed with them. Both these characteristics can be profoundly useful, but they first need to be acknowledged as truly existing.:D

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Mythrill

Well, a great deal depends upon your specific goal for using a complementary color.

For example, if you goal is to darken a color, that often requires a different approach than if you are trying to gray a color.

In either case, though, the use of a neutral Black is quite effective.

Face the simple fact that if your were to mix enough Black, Or neutral gray with a color, you would inevitably reach a point at which it would begin to turn your color neutral, by the sheer volume of Black (or gray).

Using a neutral Black or Gray to neutralize a color (gray a color) is quite effective method to gray a color–or to darken it. Black darkens a color much better than using a complementray color because a complementary color eventually turns the original color neutral–sometimes before you have reached the level of darkness you would have preferred.

Black effectively darkens secondary colors (Red, Green, Blue), without changing their hues, and it will do so (without changing their hues, until so much Black has been added that if finally becomes “Black”. However, Black will shift the hues of primary colors if mixed with them. Both these characteristics can be profoundly useful, but they first need to be acknowledged as truly existing.:D

Bill, excellent advice, as always! I’d also like to add that any black with a bluish cast will shift yellow primaries towards green. To successfully darken yellows in CMYK without shifting their hues to green, just add a small touch of magenta (or a good red, if you have one) to them. :)

KeeverMacLeod

This is precisely why I reintroduced black into my palette. The whole business of mixing complements to darken colors is more tedious and expensive than it needs to be. Also, it guarantees that you’ll never mix so much of the complement that it shifts toward the complement.

I like to think of black as a “home base” color.

Mythrill

This is precisely why I reintroduced black into my palette. The whole business of mixing complements to darken colors is more tedious and expensive than it needs to be. Also, it guarantees that you’ll never mix so much of the complement that it shifts toward the complement.

I really like Raw Umber (PBr 7) for that. But it has to have a yellow shade to it (or a slight greenish cast, at best). A good Raw Umber than darken even yellows softly, without much adjustment. :D

Ron Francis

This isn’t about darkening colours.

But I found that mixing the orange a little bit and [B]I ended up with that “shimmering” effect that I was seeking. [/B]

I’m afraid that it would have to be trial and error if you wanted a true complementary.
                                            You would need some way to test that your colour and its complementary mixed to a neutral grey, like neutral grey swatches or a
                                            spectrophotometer.
                                            Even if you found a perfect complementary for your colour, it would be unlikely that it would be the complementary for a lighter tint of your colour.

Just on the ‘shimmering’ thing:
                                            I have done multiple tests on people that believed that colours mixed with complementaries were somehow more vibrant than those mixed using black.
                                            They mixed a colour and I secretly I mixed several colours that were very similar, using two adjacent colours on the colour wheel, plus black and white. For example, orange, yellow, black and white.
                                            I placed those colours around the original colour and asked the subjects to point out the colour they mixed.
                                            Not one of them has been able to, (and they had something like a one in five chance of guessing the right one).

Ron
                                            www.RonaldFrancis.com

WFMartin

This isn’t about darkening colours.

I’m afraid that it would have to be trial and error if you wanted a true complementary.
                                                You would need some way to test that your colour and its complementary mixed to a neutral grey, like neutral grey swatches or a
                                                spectrophotometer.
                                                Even if you found a perfect complementary for your colour, it would be unlikely that it would be the complementary for a lighter tint of your colour.

Just on the ‘shimmering’ thing:
                                                I have done multiple tests on people that believed that colours mixed with complementaries were somehow more vibrant than those mixed using black.
                                                They mixed a colour and I secretly I mixed several colours that were very similar, using two adjacent colours on the colour wheel, plus black and white. For example, orange, yellow, black and white.
                                                I placed those colours around the original colour and asked the subjects to point out the colour they mixed.
                                                Not one of them has been able to, (and they had something like a one in five chance of guessing the right one).

Really excellent point! A color is a color, and it doesn’t make any difference how it got to be that way–at least as far as the viewer is concerned.

Good thinking here, in my opinion. And, if you discover your tubed Black to have too much of a decided color bias to it, just add a bit of color that is the complement to that, to bring it closer to true neutral. Use some sort of commercially available Gray Scale to which to compare your paint mixture. When I want a neutral, I often mix a bit of Raw Umber with my Lamp Black. Once I get the “neutral” (or near neutral) that I want, I then mix that with any color I wish to darken, or gray.

Bill, excellent advice, as always! I’d also like to add that any black with a bluish cast will shift yellow primaries towards green.

Thank you!:) But, you don’t even need to use a Black paint that has a blue cast in order to create Green with a primary Yellow. Select some Black that you consider to be a “warm” black, and it will also create Green with Primary Yellow. The reason is more because of the Green reflectance of Yellow (Yellow represents equal reflectance of both Red and Green light) coming to the forefront, whenever Yellow is darkened with a “darkening agent”. Even Raw, or Burnt Umber will exhibit this effect to some, small extent.

The interesting fact is that the addition of Black (neutral) will also affect the other primary colors, Cyan, and Magenta, shifting their hues–the greatest to exhibit the effect being Magenta, which will begin to exhibit its “Blue-ish-ness” with the addition of Black. It becomes a beautiful, contolable lavender, and I’ve used that effect in many flower paintings.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Don Ketchek

Artists have tried various methods to create a shimmering effect. I think that is the intent of your seeking complementaries. While mixing with complementaries may have this effect, I think that you need to have the colors remain separate – at least to a certain degree. You do not want to mix them too thoroughly. Many artists do so by using a complementary underpainting. Allowing some of the underpainting to show through – even if it is only transparently – might create some of that shimmer you seek. Using a warm colored underpainting (using orange, red or various browns) before painting a blue sky is one such strategy. I don’t believe that you need a theoretically exact complementary for this. Some links:

http://www.artistsnetwork.com/articles/art-demos-techniques/an-underpainting-can-perk-up-your-color

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2008/03/warm-underpainting.html

Another strategy to create a shimmer is to optically mix with fragmented color colors of similar value. Artist Richard McKinley discussed this a few years ago on his blog:

http://www.artistsnetwork.com/articles/art-demos-techniques/creating-more-luminosity

Hope this gives you some ideas,

Don

davidbriggs

To find the additive complementary you might think that you could just refer to the hue circle of a graphics program like Photoshop and find the hue 180 degrees away, but unfortunately this only works accurately on the yellow-blue, magenta-green and red-cyan axes, not in between. I’ve posted a reference circle showing true additive complementaries at the bottom of this page:
                                                        http://www.huevaluechroma.com/043.php

By the way, the contrast of additive complementaries is often very harsh and it’s by no means a universal belief that they create a pleasing harmony.

Colour Online (hundreds of links on colour): https://sites.google.com/site/djcbriggs/colour-online
                                                        The Dimensions of Colour: www.huevaluechroma.com
                                                        Colour Society of Australia: www.coloursociety.org.au

Ron Francis

Just to add to David’s post, much colour harmony theory is based on ‘mixing‘ complementaries. That is, colours that when mixed will make a neutral grey.
                                                            However ‘additive’ complementaries would be more appropriate to look at in that case.
                                                            In concordance with David’s link, if you look at blue for a length of time, the after image will be yellow rather than orange. But if you physically mix blue and yellow, obviously you get green.
                                                            Pointillism would be one way you could use additive primaries to get ‘shimmer’.

Using ‘mixing’ complementaries to create harmonic colour schemes doesn’t make much sense to me.

Nice to see you post David.

Ron
                                                            www.RonaldFrancis.com

Gigalot

colour harmony theory is based on ‘[I]mixing[/I]‘ complementaries.

There are no any color harmony theory. Harmony is not a physics. I guess, it is more of a human biology, rather than optic or even mathematics. You can match some color harmony using complementaries, but you can also match color harmony using just another methods.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.