Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera "fixative" for layering with no rewettinglifting?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    leili

Looking for something I can put over a layer (or layers really) of gouache that will allow me to work over it without rewetting/lifting the paint already applied to the paper. Anyone have experience with this?

I have some acryla gouache but I’m just not ready to break that out yet (going to need a whole new pallette and some serious alone time, haha). So until then, I hope theres a way to do this…

Skappy

Hi Leili you can spray a little gouache mat varnish or mat acrylic varnish and work over it this will stop the actual gouache from blending with the next layers then the next layers will have to be not too diluted in order to catch but it works I did it once as an experience on a marine painting then you can spray a little mat varnish at the end so all the layes have the same properties
            Robert

leili

Hey skappy, thanksfor replying! Hmm, I will have to pick some of that gouache varnish up when I hate the money..does it come in a spraycan, orhow would I go about spraying it?

I have a can of krylon workable fixative that I used over a layer of gouache, which kept it intact for a layer of clear liquitex gesso which I just painted gouache and acrylic over…soesanyone knowif this will this cause me any headaches in the future?

M.L. Schaefer

Hello, Leili! I use Golden Archival Varnish spray……one can use it on any medium, including watercolor. Since I paint ACEOs and small works of art, this Spray protects the painting from handling, humidity, etc. (since many folks who buy ACEOs do not put them under glass). They have Gloss, Mat and Satin….I prefer the Satin for my watercolors, but I think Mat may be best for Gouache. One can control the spray: the lightest of sprays to firmly coating the painting through successive light sprays, letting each dry in between. Best used outdoors or in a well ventilated area. I use the covered part under my stairwell…I also keep the painting there until the spray dries (stinky stuff!)…works really well, and keeps my home free from harmful vapors!

:heart: Margarete

When he, the Spirit of truth is come...he will be your Guide... Holy Bible (Old and New Testament)
                    Under the Concrete are Flowers Yet to be Born...from a Chilean Poem

leili

Ah thank you Margarete! Do you have any experience with it over gouache? I know that most people warn of color shift when applying things over gouache but I’m not sure about watercolor so that’s why I ask..

Either way thank you for the info!

Merritt

Try basic hairspray without fragrance as a test. It may shift your’e colour values darker it has worked well for me on detailed drawings over the years, so I cant see why it wouldn’t work on a water colour. I do suggest you do test on a small demo.

An artist is not paid for his labor but for his vision.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.