Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery Still Life – Testing Schmincke and Terry Ludwig Pastels

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mmm_Pasta

I normally use Rembrandt pastels as well as Stabilo black pastel pencil and a Derwent white pastel pencil. I wanted to add some softer pencils to my current set. I ordered a Schmincke discontinued set and the Terry Ludwig Best Loved Basics set. It was also really fun to use a limited pallete for the still life.

I really liked how creamy each were. The Schmincke pastels were very vibrant and saturated. It did make the shadows challenging with the pallete I had. I really liked the midtones in the still life. I really liked the muted colours of the Terry Ludwig set. I really like how the shadows came about with this set as well as the reflections of the clementines. The shape of the sticks is something I really like. I can do a variety of strokes with these with ease.

Left: Schmincke
        Right: Terry Ludwig

Good work. I looked at the paintings very carefully, and although the first one is more colorful and vibrant, I prefer the second one since the values are much stronger. Use your iPhone and convert the photos into B&W and you will see the difference.

Mmm_Pasta

Thanks Moises for the feedback. I agree with the values. I also believe reflections and reflected light are handled better in the second one.

These are both beautifully done, but the one on the right appeals to me most.

Humburger

I like them both, but I do like the second one better.

Ginny
                www.virginiacmccoy.com
                C & C Welcome

franglais

Amazing how differently you can play when you have SUPER soft pastels.
                    Both paintings are beautiful!
                    Mike

Mmm_Pasta

Thanks, Tammy, Ginny, and Mike. I would have to go with the second one as well. It’s stronger in many ways. I can see the strengths in both sets given the palletes I had available.

It definitely makes a large difference, Mike, with the very soft pastels! I’m looking forward to adding both of these new pastels to my current set. :)

Ron

Nicely done on both! I find having a variety of hardness is of huge importance to me and how I work. Looking forward to your next ones…

Mmm_Pasta

Thanks, Ron. Currently have two pieces in progress. :)

Skappy

Both look nice the left one more vibrant and right one looks more natural now you didnt do the same work on both

PeggyB

Both have good merit. Given you had different color palettes from which to work it maybe isn’t fair to you or the brands to compare the values in each painting. One forced you to use different strokes from the other, and that also influences how anyone will respond to a painting.

Its always nice to reach the point where one can choose from hard to soft pastels while painting. Each of them has good uses. Now “all” you “need” is some of the middle grade softness pastels.:lol:

Peggy Braeutigam, IAPS/MC
                                        www.peggybraeutigam.com

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.