Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Batiking questions

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    moepar

I started to make batik t-shirt.
        Made a pretty cool pattern. I have used fluid golden paints. Turned out pretty nice but can’t get all the wax out.
        I had forgotten to b put some newapaper in-between the front & back of the shirt & now have what looks like greasy marks on the back. I tried ironing it again (no effect) & washing it hasn’t done anything for it
        Any suggestions?
        I’m including a pic of back of shirt.

Debby

Try covering the wax with baking soda, letting the soda absorb the oily part. Maybe overnight. Then try the ironing with a towel under the fabric and a couple layers of paper towels between the fabric and the iron. Crossing my fingers for your success. Tho’ having washed it, you may have set the stain.

Debby
            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

When I did batik, to remove the wax I put it in a pot of boiling water with laundry soap stirring it around for a bit and remove and wring out and rinse with warm or hot water. Do not dump the water down the sink!
                I had special rubber gloves which I wore with wool knit gloves inside. The gloves were designed for doing this kind of thing.
                Note what I did was traditional batik. You don’t seem to be doing that because you haven’t dyed this shirt so boiling it may ruin the front.

Doll Art by Lena

If worse comes to worse, you could use the front for a tote or a pillow.

I’d love to see the front!

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                Find me on Instagram
                Find me on Facebook

moepar

thank you all for the suggestions. I will start trying them.

moepar

Thanks everyone. I got the wax out.

I did put it into simmering water. Stirred it til I saw what looked like grease in the water. Took it out, rinsed & dried. No more greasy wax blooms.

One small area where the paint was already light had lighted up some. I can add more paint there. Now I know to no or go too lightly

Debby

Congrats, that’s great. Can we see the art on the shirt?

Debby
                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

I am glad it all worked out!
                                Batik is a challenging art form. I loved it because it always pulled a fast one that I had to get creative to fix.
                                Unfortunately I became allergic to all its components when I hit menopause.
                                I am looking forward to what you have done.

Doll Art by Lena

moepar

Sorry it took so long to get this up. It wouldn’t upload from my phone, so had to get to a computer again.

Lena

Lovely colours.
                                        Thank you for showing it.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Wonderful! Thanks for showing us. Have you given up on batik or are you going to try it again?

Debby
                                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

moepar

I’m definitely trying more now that I know what I need to do.
                                                I have been doing it on greeting cards to good effect. I’ve actually sold several of those at the local gallery.

K12144

I’ve heard of people taking batiked items to the dry cleaner to get the wax out, as well… I assume it works, if they’re recommending it (I’ve never done batik– though I’ve always wanted to– so I couldn’t tell you for sure from personal experience).

[FONT=Book Antiqua]--Kat :cat: :music:

That’s very cool!

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                                                    Find me on Instagram
                                                    Find me on Facebook

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.