Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Crossroads

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    jknecht

9×12, oil on canvas panel

Questioning my decision to use the palette knife in the foreground, but I can’t figure out people get so much variety and detail otherwise.

All C&C appreciated.

-Jeff

oldnmartist

I think you made some good painting decisions in this one.

Everything else being equal, I would rather be in the painting zone.

Jeffro Jones

Questioning my decision to use the palette knife in the foreground

Hi Jeff, I’ve been enjoying your unassuming painterly offerings :)
                Like your past postings, its a likeable effort, so well done, one always sees thought and care in your work, and a respect for the medium.
                Yes, the palette knife, good question.
                The issue is the overall surface, not the foreground.
                One would logically expect the same type of surface texture over the whole painting, and here it jumps from the knife area to the brush area.
                I personally use EITHER the brush or the knife throughout.
                I’ve seen Richard Schmid (a master) use the brush with highlights laid in with the knife: but uniformly across the surface, so there is consistency for the eye to understand.
                BUT… I like the design and colour.
                Oh… and the signpost should be straighter, IMHO :)
                All the best!

:::

Humburger

I love it just the way it is. Wonderful.

Ginny
                    www.virginiacmccoy.com
                    C & C Welcome

jknecht

Thank you oldnmartist, Ginny, and Jeffro.

Jeffro, I see what you’re saying about the differences in surface quality. I think THAT is what was causing me to question things. Really appreciate the thoughtful critique.

Delofasht

This is an excellent painting, great job, really stepping up your painting game these days. I like the effect a knife can have on edges, but I like to go back in with the brush to soften some parts of the knife application while leaving others intact. The variation in edge quality can be quite appealing, it is especially useful on areas where the light is landing to make those areas appear raised off the surface some.

As for creating a variety of texture with just a brush, a lot of it is in the loading and application of the paint. Often we apply paint with the brush held nearly perpendicular to the surface, we can however apply paint with the brush held almost parallel to the surface with a thick load of paint to get a variety of stroke qualities where the impasto of the stroke is thick. Another option, and the one I use the most, is letting the painting dry to the touch, then applying fresh paint over other strokes to get some thickness of the paint to the painting.

- Delo Delofasht
                            jknecht

Delo, thank you so much for the input and the advice on technique.

For as many tutorial videos as I’ve watched, there is only so much nuance one can pick up in how those strokes are planned and just what angle and how much pressure is used to when applying the paint. I usually opt for the “push the paint into the surface with as much force as possible” approach, which I have to remind myself constantly not to do.

NZartist

I like your style of painting. Got a nice feel about it.

-Chris

S Lynne Price

This painting is gorgeous, beautiful composition and light. I would add smaller touches of knifework (smaller than foreground so that you’ll have natural perspective) to the too-smooth middle ground (base and middle of the hill beyond the road). The lights may need to be lighter on the base of the hill but cooler, of course, than the foreground. Then, your surface should be unified but with some variety.

Traditional Impressionist

Dcam
                                            jknecht

Thank you Chris, Sarah, and Derek.

Sarah, I may give your suggestion a try – seems like a practical way to deal with it. Thank you!

bhindi

I quite like the knife work in the foreground just the way it is. The lighting is lovely and mood is just relaxed.

DreyDay

You did a great job with the palette knife for the foreground. The contrast of the grass looks great, with the light and dark colors coming in nicely. I like the diversity of textures you used everywhere, from the soft background colors to the more rugged more bold colors at the forefront. Great and elegant painting that depicts realism of a simple subject matter, executed in a way that makes this very pleasing to look at.

kentiessen

The knife work is great for crisp edges and texture- it can be manipulated after to keep what works. I would suggest lighter cooler values near the horizon.

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
                                                            Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.