Home Forums Explore Media Airbrush do you make a living off airbrush art?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    disturbedair

howdee humans, i have a qeustion for yiz, do yiz make a living out off airbrush art and how? or do you have other jobs or live off the income of partners, i ask this qeustion for the simple reason that for the life of me i cannat find a way to make any money out of this stuff, it’s a real bummer as i have been doing it for some time now and have got me work up to a resonable standard but can’t seem to make a cent out off it, any help would be apreciated?

hinddee29

Hello and welcome. Well I have really made any money from it. Not yet anyway. There are alot of people here doing it for a living. Really I think it just comes down to luck. If your at the right place at the right time or is
            some that is someone see’s your work and likes it. I’ve done alittle reading
            and some say you should spend about 90% of your time marketing your work?
            So Lady luck isn’t on my side so more than likely it will never go anywhere for me. Hope it works out for you.

Shane

I think there is some luck but if your work stinks then no amount of luck will sell it. Well, unless it’s so bad it’s mistaken for an abstract. :eek: :evil:

I am “trying” to get to where i can do this fulltime for a living. I’m not really there in any respect. Marketing is a part and it is a lot of work. In about 1.5 years i’ve done 6 commissioned portraits. That isn’t nearly enough to live on. But I have a project i’m “making” happen and I think it will bring me some $. Life is a struggle for those who are not fortunate enough to have been born into a wealthy family.

Do you have any paintings that you think would sell as prints? Do you want to do commissions only? I don’t have many answers for you. :crying: There are better ideas to be heard from others here who are making a living painting.

There’s a decent book called Art Marketing 101. It might shed some light on how to move toward your goals.

Keep searching and working.

Tim

"There, but for the grace of chance, go I."

Toxic

I have only been at it for a couple of months and have some paying jobs going. How? Automotive. the money is good if you can get a following.
                Good luck……….
                ……..Billy…….

gilbertus

location is key! you live in the boonies, fine, advertise in the city. i was in florida for a while and i gotta tell ya, florida is boomin for art like ours..
                    auto is a real humdinger also. big money in auto is if yer good. myself i would like to get into mostly bike tanks. i have a full time job as a carpenter but i do a mural here and there. mostly kids rooms. thats ok though, kids rooms are almost always fun to do. i have never sold any canvas work. i would like to enter some contest though. thats another thing you can try. if you win first place thats awesome. you can use that to your benifit when bidding on jobs. if you win second thats good to. i think you get the point. its hard but who ever said the things in life worth reachin for where easy?. hope this helps you some. most of the advise i gave you i got from this very forum a long time back. its helped my and mabe itll help you too.
                    TJ

JW*

I’ve been making my living as an Artist for the last 14 years, and the first 12 of those were with the airbrush only.

Making a living as an Artist is something you have to work at 24/7 – you’re always on, but that’s pretty much the natural state for any true Artist; you’re always thinking about something creative, planning that next work, etc.

If you broke down the Working Artist’s life to it’s basic points, no sane person would choose to be an Artist – no benefits, no medical, no weekly paycheck as a rule, whenever the economy goes bad the first thing people do is cut back on the luxuries and Art is at the top of the list! The public is fickle – what’s considered mundane one day, can be genius the next and the day after that it’s trash and yet what you do and how you do it has not changed one bit from day one to day three – and yet if you’ve spent just the least bit of time making your living as an Artist, you can’t go back to doing anything else; you can’t imagine making a living any other way – you’d just shrivel up and die of a broken heart if made to do otherwise…

Being a Working Artist requires a commitment of your artistic abilities and perspectives to new ways of applying those talents. You have to learn the art of selling yourself – something many artists are uncomfortable with. You have to learn to recognize your strengths and your market and find creative ways to bring the two together. You have to be bold and turn every meeting and occasion into an opportunity to be utilized to further yourself as well as your art because the two are one and the same. One of the greatest things about the Internet and more affordable computer technology is that it has given us Artists more power to represent ourselves. A web site is your online, always there 24/7 portfolio – business cards with your web site address are that foot in the door and yet they serve as a benign sell – the people you give those cards to don’t feel pressured to look, they can look at their leisure in the comfort of their own home and privately without some gallery owner or eager Artist standing just over their shoulder – they are more inclined to discover an appreciation for your talents if allowed to come to it in their own time. We can print our own business cards, build our own sites and even publish our own works – all things to aspire to and all things that as they are attained make it more affordable to continue on as a Working Artist.

It IS a do-able thing – I know many of the new people who come up (in all the art fields) are looking for that discovery thing – my work is SO good I’ll be discovered and everything is gravy after that; all I do is create the art, and although I wouldn’t rule out the possibility no matter how remote, this is not the norm – as a good friend of mine says; “It’s a game of inches – you can’t win the game if you’re not in the game” It’s all about perception, even when you’re not doing as well as you would like, you have to project a positive image – the art buying public picks up on that; they are more likely to buy from an Artist who appears confident and successful, than one who shows that they are struggling and losing faith… If you were to go around and poll some of the biggest names in art online, each and every one will tell you they still work at it all the time, but remember – you’re working at a job you love and you’re doing what you were put here to do if you are indeed an Artist. What’s better than that!

Support is very important – knocking back with other Artists is very helpful. They don’t even have to be in the same field – creative people all function on the same basic principles, it’s just nice to be able to tell someone your woes who truly understands those woes, and often times you will find someone else may have a solution to a problem you’re currently facing. Support is a keystone to artistic survival. This group is a perfect example!

Hang in there – if you paint it, they will come…

The first peace is that which comes within the souls of men when they realize their relationship, their oneness, with the Universe and all its powers.

- Black Elk (Lakota)

Penny220

There isn’t much to add to what has already been posted. Ever notice that an artists popularity has no correlation to quality? I’d bet the farm that the worlds greatest artist is completely and totally unknown, may never have sold anything and probably does not even own a computer. This brings it right down to marketing. The better the marketing the more popular the artist. It would be nice if it was the better the artwork the more popular the artist but that isn’t always the case. People live for hype and will buy anything if it is marketed correctly.

You are only going to sell 1 out of every ten honest inquiries and only 1 in a hundred will inquire. It’s a numbers game the more you expose yourself the more you will sell.

TJ mentioned shows. There are all kinds of shows and not just galleries and art shows. Determine your market and expose yourself. As far as art shows go, simply stating on your website that you competed at such and such a show is sufficient if you word it correctly you can be honest and yet people will assume you won. Remember, people see, hear and read only what they want to.

A book on selling is a good place to start. A salesman knows it doesn’t matter what the product is it’s how it’s presented and if you believe in yourself you will believe in the product you are selling which already puts you on top. I recommend any NLP sales book and a book called “Winning Through Intimidation” by Ringer. This book is very old and you will have to order it but it’s still in print, a very good read and IMO a must for everyone even if you never intend on selling anything.

“A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.” Jackie Robinson "No one said it had to be real, but it's got to be something you can reach out and feel" Meatloaf
                            hinddee29

So what your saying JW is I need to get my head out of my ass and start
                                doing something? I just may do that If I haven’t lost everything I own a month from now.
                                Penny I’ll have to check out that book. Another one is called “Art Marketing
                                101”. Don’t know who wrote it.

Shane

ima_r_tiste

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]”Being a Working Artist requires a commitment of your artistic abilities and perspectives to new ways of applying those talents. You have to learn the art of selling yourself – something many artists are uncomfortable with. You have to learn to recognize your strengths and your market and find creative ways to bring the two together. You have to be bold and turn every meeting and occasion into an opportunity to be utilized to further yourself as well as your art because the two are one and the same.” JW*

Oh Yes. Very well said.

Since it seems I have the bad luck to be misinterpreted… all I will say is this. Yes I airbrush for a living. Even at this early stage in the start over game. Yes, before going to work for SW as a color matcher and formulator I airbrushed for a living.
                                    I sometimes would wake up at 6:30, paint till 8, take my kids to school, draw out a couple new designs, airbrush till 2:30 take a 45 minute nap, pick the kids up at school, airbrush till i made dinner, then would continue until midnight then did it over again the next day. Saturday and Sunday I airbrushed all day. for weeks on end.
                                    It was the best time in my life and is again.
                                    This weekend was better than the last. The next will be even better. I have work ordered through the week.

A day without airbrushing is a day without sunshine.

A day with out Art is a world without dreams.

Denise[/FONT]

"You only have boundaries you make yourself or allow others to make for you.
                                    With an imagination, determination, muleheaded stubborness, and lots of love, all is possible."
                                    :music:
                                    ima_r_tiste

[FONT=Comic Sans MS] My 73 year old mom and I have our booths together. She has her antiques and I, my airbrushing. She has the hard job of selling for me when I am busy. She stands with the crowd while they watch telling them that she still doesn’t know how I do it after all these years. Doing mostly freehand airbrushing is not a typical sight in a mall or flea market where most airbrush artists have a standard set of designs and stencils for every one.
                                        Today while I was airbrushing a baby shirt she asked me if I had my camera and where it was. I told here where and she said “I have to get a picture of this”. I just kept on with front side of the double sided angel bear on the 6 mo. size baby shirt. She came back and asked me how to work it as the owner of the market walked up. They went… somewhere… as I kept painting. The owner took the photos.
                                        After I was through I asked her what it was about and she told me she had to get a picture of the crowd. I asked her how many people she thought there was watching. She said “25 at least”.
                                        I took my mother’s hand and I said “Mama, Wait till we turn around and there is 200”.

Oh Denise Shoobee Doo[/FONT]

"You only have boundaries you make yourself or allow others to make for you.
                                        With an imagination, determination, muleheaded stubborness, and lots of love, all is possible."
                                        :music:
                                        Maryl Lehman

Denise, that is great! My mom (75) and I also share a booth that we rent together, and she is my biggest fan! We often do shows together, or she will come along with me and “support” me. She often embarrasses me by blabbing all kinds of “how wonderful her daughter is” stories! Aren’t moms GREAT?!!! I just don’t know how I’ll live without her someday! :(

JW*

So what your saying JW is I need to get my head out of my ass and start
                                                doing something? I just may do that If I haven’t lost everything I own a month from now.

Shane

What a strange place to keep your head – I would imagine painting would be easier if your head was in it’s usual place… :wink2:

Seriously, – as someone who makes a living painting, I’m just standing up on that side of the field to represent it can be done. I’d be lying if I told you there have been no rough times… when I first started I had exactly $200 to my name and everything I needed I either bought cheap, (garage sale airbrushes) used (CO2 tank) or made myself (lights, canvases, etc.) the ONLY thing I spent money on was paints and a proper regulator head for the CO2 tank.

Took 5 years but I built up a pretty impressive client list and had a good thing going – my wife was offered a job in California and we moved 3000 miles from Florida to CA. The client list did not follow so I literally had to start over again in the middle of a small farming community with no artistic outlets or venues but after another 5 years I had an even better client list than before and it was easier to get up and running based on what I learned the first time around.

In 2001 I had decided to get out of the ‘on demand/commission’ airbrush market, and move into fine art, and reproductions marketed through galleries and art shows. When you put on the brakes from one source of income and start trying to generate income from a different source, you have a vulnerable window there where you’re living entirely off your savings – it was in this period of time we suffered the 9-11 tragedy and as I mentioned before, in such times of uncertainty, people cut back on their spending and it had a profound effect on my business which all but went under – I was in the process of recovering from that and then the President has to go and pick a fight in Iraq and down goes business for a second time.

In 2002 we moved back to Florida, and when you’re going to move there comes a point where you have to stop your business, pack everything up, move, figure out how things work in your new environment, find a new studio space, unpack, setup your new space and start generating a new client base yet again! Lots of down time there with no income and lots of cash outlay.

I’m not saying this is the norm, but what I’d like to hopefully illustrate is that no obstacle is insurmountable if you have your Heart set on your goal. We’re all familiar with the saying; “Seeing is believing” but I think it is more accurate to say; “In believing we see” – if you truly believe in what you’re doing, you see possibilities that you might not otherwise notice… Every time some event or problem has come up, I have had more than a few choice words at those moments, but it never occurred to me not to try to figure out how to surmount the latest obstacle – somehow things always seem to work out – I don’t know how it works, it just does.

Hang in there!

-JW

The first peace is that which comes within the souls of men when they realize their relationship, their oneness, with the Universe and all its powers.

- Black Elk (Lakota)

DCsculpt

“If you can do what you love, and make a living at it, you will never work another day in your life”. I think that’s how it goes anyway. But… when the pressure of selling enters the artists studio and fear and doubt replace love, the joy of creating may be lost to the committee in your mind.

Some, more ballenced people than me, can find the ballance between commerce and creativity, but I loose the will to to show-up to the canvas if money becomes the motivation to create. This is what happened to me. 15 years of product sculpture has left me unwilling to sculpt much these days. I personally would rather have a job for making money that allows me to be free to do “A”rt in my studio. But having said that I also do work that is meant to be sold that I enjoy, because I don’t have to sell to pay the bills. If one day what I love becomes what I do for a living again, I hope I can find the ballance.

Peace, Dave

JW*

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Since it seems I have the bad luck to be misinterpreted… [/COLOR][/FONT]

I know I’m old and I’ve been known to take a nap (or two), I have to gum my food and have the attention span of a gnat, but I seem to have missed something here…

Given this topic was originally started by “disturbedair” regarding making a living off airbrush art, and this quote comes from your first response on this particular topic, in this thread – where’s the “misinterpretation” that’s referenced?

I’m confused – is it just me or is this confusing? :confused:

- Black Elk (Lakota)

hinddee29

Make alot of good points JW. Thanks I may have to use it. I haven’t even tried to really market myself or sell anything. I may have to try and do this
                                                            because two weeks from now I’ll be out of Unemployment and no work in sight. The construction trades suck around here. So the end is near.

Shane

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.