WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Internet Sales Strategies
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2019, 09:40 PM

Naming of my art Wordpress sites; possessive form, or just my name

Greetings all, it's been a while. I have a Wordpress account, and created a site for my art, and am torn on the best naming for it.

So far, I want it to be called Sossity C. Corby Art in some form.

What would be best?

Sossity C. Corby's Art, in the possessive form?

or just

Sossity C. Corby Art.

I was not sure if using a possessive form is unprofessional or what.

I also have the name Raven Fine Art, would that be good? or is it best just to use my name? raven is a translation of my last name, my last name means raven or crow.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2019, 09:45 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States
Re: Naming of my art Wordpress sites; possessive form, or just my name

It's all a personal preference, either is fine but to me, the possessive form makes it sound like a store name. The non possessive sounds more confident, I would add a comma though..

Sossity C. Corby, Art

I would be careful with a name like Raven Fine Art, if you google it, there's already many that have that name. You could run into issues because of that.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2019, 12:31 AM

Thank you, I like the idea of it sounding confident. I also had some other variations on the name.

I also had a question of having the plural or singular for the word art, such as;

Sossity C. Corby, Arts

Sossity C. Corby, Art

Sossity C. Corby, Fine Arts

Sossity C. Corby, Fine Art

I now do mostly fine art, painting, drawing, but not exclusively. I have also and still do a little digital art like digital drawing in illustrator and artrage, and photography, I used to do a little video editing, not as much now, don't like it much, and I also once dabbled in macrame. Because of this, I wondered if I should use the plural of the word art, like arts to account for all this, or stick with the word art in the singular.

Which of these names would be best?

Last edited by Sossity : 11-03-2019 at 12:35 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2019, 07:17 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

In my experience of selling online, shorter is better. I use Harold Roth Art for my business name, even though there was a photographer called Harold Roth who still comes up pretty high in the rankings, but I don't use my middle initial. It's just another thing for people to remember (and to forget). My art site is just haroldroth.com, and my blog is haroldrothart.wordpress.com, but I will be changing it to haroldrothartist.com.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2019, 05:56 PM

Ok, thanks, I have the middle initial, in case, I have any name changes, I asked about it I believe on this site a while back, since some of my family believe that my first name Sossity is too odd, and people would forget it.

Some family members suggested I change my names around; take my middle name which is Caroline, and make it my first name.

I then was told by some others that my first name is unique, and that I should stick with it especially for my art.

As a compromise, and because I am still on the fence about this, I use my first name and middle initial, this way, if I ever do switch out my middle name, and or I stay with my first name Sossity, the middle initial, will clue people in that the C is for Caroline.

If I changed my name to Caroline, people will have been seeing the middle C initial, and when they look for Sossity, they will know where the C initial comes from.

I hope that makes some sense.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2019, 05:11 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Okay, but you can always do a redirect from, for instance, sossityccorby.com to carolinecorby.com or whatever. It is not a big deal.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2019, 07:36 AM

I am not sure how I would do a redirect, and I read that it takes a while for search engines to remake results for someone, if they make a name change to their site, people might get led to a blank page to the previous name, since the search engines will not have adjusted to the change. This results in people losing track of someone.

I a not trying to be argumentative, it was just a concern I had when I read about this.

Last edited by Sossity : 11-09-2019 at 07:49 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2019, 03:39 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sossity
I am not sure how I would do a redirect, and I read that it takes a while for search engines to remake results for someone, if they make a name change to their site, people might get led to a blank page to the previous name, since the search engines will not have adjusted to the change. This results in people losing track of someone.

I a not trying to be argumentative, it was just a concern I had when I read about this.
You easily set it up with whomever you registered your name - GoDaddy - or whoever.

The re-direct takes effect nearly-instantaneous - a matter of minutes. The delays you speak of are a thing of the long-ago past.

STUDIOBONGO
INSTAGRAM
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2019, 08:47 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Sossity is such a cool name. I would use that, it's so unique and beautiful.

I like the "Sossity C. Corby, Arts".
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 05:03 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

What Bongolian said.