Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Colored Pencil Comparison Test

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    MarcF

Description
        This is a test to determine the differences, if any, between 4 different brands of Colored Pencils (CPs).
        Each brand has it’s own price and that will be evaluated after all the data is collected, to determine if there is any correlation between price and performance.
        Price is an important metric, as the price of CPs varies from slight to enormous (relatively speaking).
        The test will be as unbiased as possible.
        4 basic colors of each brand will be tested – Red, Blue, Yellow, and Black
        The tester will select as close as possible from each pack of pencils.
        The pencils to be tested are:
        Prismacolor Premium
        Prismacolor Scholar
        Roseart
        Crayola
        These are the brands are to be tested because these are the ones I have on hand now.
        The test will consist of drawing straight lines and filling in squares and circles, at different pressures, on the paper. I won’t know which brand is which because I’ll mask any distinctive markings with tape.
        If I had judges other than myself, it would be a much more valid experiment.
        Is anyone game?
        Anyone want to participate in this? I’m doing most of the work.
        I’ve already written this up “formally”. The way I used to have to write technical reports. I’m an old hand at this sort of thing – not at testing colored pencils, but doing engineering tests. And designing psych experiments – that was a long time ago but it gave me a foundation for unbiased testing that persisted to this day. That’s why I’d like judges who aren’t me, but if I don’t get any I’ll enlist a friend who I know would like to help.
        So, C’mon!
        I want to find out if those pencils in the fancy boxes are worth the money, while eliminating any bias, cognitive dissonance, etc.
        I’m waiting for my Carl Angel-5 to be delivered (later today) and I want to control for sharpening by using one sharpener throughout the test – that one.
        See how I yearn to control relevant variables?
        Also I need to make up a test paper.
        The design of that should be simple yet functional.
        You’ll see (if I get any interest).

Oh yes – should you want to be a judge – or just want more detail on what I’m up to, have a look Colored Pencil Comparison Test.
        If you see anything you want to add – I’m not an experienced artist so I’m trying to keep it simple – but please don’t hesitate.

I’m retired. I guess I really miss working to an extent. Of course if I had a job and I were spending time on this (on a Monday) I’d be reprimanded for sure. I contributed a lot but I was also a dreamer. I’m retired now so I can do what I want. And right now I want to get at the truth of this, or at least I hope to learn something, while having fun trying.

MaryFlora

That is very professional, organized and easy to follow….easier than compiling, I’m sure!

I wonder if it would be a good idea to have a sample on the layering capabilities? For instance yellow on red? Or other?

Perhaps some of the experienced CP folks could provide ideas?

Isn’t retirement fun? ;)

Thank you for sharing.

Mary Flora

MarcF

YES!
                Blending and layering are very important.
                The only problem is I don’t really know how to do that with colored pencils yet.
                Can you coach me? I want to add that to the data if possible. Even better, I’d invite you to participate -maybe make up your own samples because we have some of the same pencils!

Also I made some last minute updates to the write-up. I’ll be developing it further as I go.

Thanks for your comment, Mary. I miss it so much – doing professional reports and testing – but hey my Carl Angel-5 just ARRIVED! My wife just brought it into my studio – the door was open so she was permitted to just enter. Different door positions have different knocking protocols. I’m NOT kidding! She has her own room too though. Yes, as much as I miss working, retirement is quite wonderful!

MaryFlora

Remember I am an inexperienced CP person, but in terms of testing layers in a more controlled manner, would it be a thought to, for example, lay down
                    four layers of your base color, then add two layers of your second layer, using the same pressure throughout?

Not sure that makes sense?

Mary

MarcF

That makes sense and I’ll add it to the CPTs (Colored Pencil Tests).
                        I’m going to learn a lot from this.
                        Remember you actually got me into this with your Mallard!
                        Before I actually do the tests on the test paper, I’ll try each on a side paper to work out any kinks – I want really good specimens.
                        AND I’M ABOUT TO OPEN THE PACKAGE WITH THE ANGEL-5!!!!
                        (imagine getting this excited about a pencil sharpener. who knew?)

Sharpened up some pencils and I love the sharpener.
                        That’s that.

Wassie

I’ll be interested in your results since I’m too lazy to do this myself.

MarcF

(as posted in my other thread) I ran into a problem I could have foreseen.
                                I need the exact same shade of each color, or the test is invalid. I have 4 different packs of pencils, but not the same shades of each color. There are other hitches as well.
                                I think I’ll do a drawing while I put this test on hold.

MarcF, as fas as Prismacolor & Crayola, I think comparing the two brands is silly. They are distinctly different, and there’s no comparison.

Prismas are deep and vivid colors that set to a velvety texture. Crayolas are bright and shiny colors that set to a glassy texture.

It’s sort of like comparing Cirque du Soleil or Disneyland? They’re both excellent!

Elle Amde

Never fear; always persevere.

MarcF

I don’t mind if the comparison seems silly from the outset.
                                    I would then see if it were silly or not.
                                    The idea would be to take away the bias – I KNOW I paid 5x as much so they MUST be better!
                                    I did do some testing with the different pencils.
                                    They all seemed different – as they should.
                                    They all seem glassy to me, as compared with paint.
                                    I am having real trouble applying smooth coats of color no matter which kind of pencil I use. It’s not very forgiving. Press too hard on one stroke and that stroke will live forever no matter what, it seems. Each medium has it’s own problems and methods, I’m finding – and that’s no surprise.

Pingpongfan

What paper are you using? Again, cheap paper will produce mediocre results. Try Strathmore Bristol Vellum or the smooth side of Canson Mi Teintes. Both are fairly inexpensive but more expensive than sketch paper or printing paper.
                                        Vena

ocmd123

Marc, this will be an interesting experiment for you, as you are new to CP. You will find that every brand of pencil handles differently, regardless of price. Even comparing professional brands, they all handle differently. And each one handles differently on various surfaces. That’s one of the beautiful things about colored pencils. If you don’t like your results, try a different brand and a different surface. All of us experimented until we found what suited our style and working preferences. I have several brands of professional grade pencils. I use prismas almost exclusively, for two reasons. One, I love they way they handle. And two, I can buy them locally in open stock. My favorite surfaces are hot press watercolor paper and bristol smooth. In asking 25 people, you will get 25 different combinations of preferred pencils and surfaces. This test will help you to figure out what your preferences are.

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
                                            Instagram

Save

MarcF

I have been using Strathmore velum Bristol. I also have smooth Bristol, but I have mostly used the velum surface because it has more tooth. But I think it’s the tooth that causes the irregularities when you draw on it. I’ll try the smooth surface and see. I have Canson Bristol as well that has “2 distinct sides”. One side is a little smoother than the other.
                                                2 sides to the story I guess.:)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.