Home Forums Explore Subjects Art Journals Otherworlder’s sketches 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    otherworlder

Happy New Year everyone! Here is to a fruitful, productive, and less depressing than last, year 2018!

Art wise I think I want to do a lot more portraits this year, also stylized cartoon faces. I need practice drawing non-crooked, well proportioned, and pretty faces. :lol:

So my first first piece of the year is drawing a face from imagination, using Caran d’Ache supracolor watercolor pencils. I haven’t used my Supracolors for a while, they are a lot more transparent and watercolor-like than I remembered? I have been using mostly Derwent watercolor pencils lately; they are more opaque and more gouache like, so it was slightly awkward. I always find every specific product is like a new medium. :lol:

robertsloan2

She’s beautiful! I love the Supracolors, used to have some and definitely thinking of getting a larger set since they were so soft and easy to handle. I like a soft colored pencil and they were very pigment rich. Gorgeous darks on her and great detail, great modeling and shadows.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
            Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
            blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Joan T

Nice drawing with great colors! Happy New Year!!

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

otherworlder

Thanks Joan for the comment! Happy new year to you too.

Rob, the Supracolor really do have great pigment, the pencils handle exactly like watercolor. But too watercolor like and so transparent, I almost didn’t know how to handle them anymore, lol. I have been using Derwent’s watercolor pencils, and they are quite a bit more opaque than watercolor, so you can layer to an almost gouache like effect, I have been enjoying those immensely. I really want a medium with semi-transparent darks, opaque lights, permanent, but doesn’t dry instantaneously the way acrylic does. (Long bucket list, I know :lol:) Gouache lifts way too easily it’s almost impossible to layer. I use M. Graham gouache, and I generally enjoy them, but I do find them not as opaque as I would like and that lifting thing. I am really loving oil pastel mostly because of its opacity and workability, but it’s so hard to save oil pastel paintings. Maybe I should consider playing with acrylics and medium again. Next on my to try list is various water soluble crayons. I just bought Derwent art bars.

I set a new goal for myself for the new year, I am going to try doing some art every day, but make it short and fast, so I limit the time I spend on this stuff. So here is my progress on a new piece from the last two days. :lol:

Joan T

Great start to this one. Doing at least a little art a day is a great habit.

otherworlder

Thanks Joan for your encouragement! After a few days busy with other stuff I finally finished this. So much for art everyday.:lol:

This character has blonde hair in the comic book version and lilac hair in the cartoon version, so nowadays I generally draw him with a combination color scheme for the hair.

robertsloan2

Very striking! He’s cool. Love that serious look, he’s probably got some worries and may be stuck being a protagonist. Great style.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com

Sonia

Nice work – look forward to seeing more.

eyepaint

Happy New Year! Wonderful work on the hair on these figures :)

-- EP Moderator for:
                                        All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

otherworlder

Thank you for the comment, Robert, Sonia, and EP.

One more of the same character, in a (somewhat) different style.

Joan T

Purple hair is in such fashion. Nice sketches!!

otherworlder

Thanks Joan! One more of the same character. Have been busy these days…

robertsloan2

Love the purple hair! Very cool character.

GabrielleReid

Oh my ! In the very first picture I fell for her hair, too real hair curls and the eye balls are mesmerizing and the eyebrows concept in the fourth and fifth picture is unique, I mean it’s minimalistic as well as expressive too.

Contributor at Earth's Lab

Joan T

I love how you did her hair in this last one…like it is floating on the breeze.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.