Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Small studio space idea help please!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    bobbybirds

Hey all!

I am a baby wannabe artist at almost 50yo, never having done anything outside of industrial arts like woodworking, blade making, car building etc, and having just picked up oil painting a bit less than a year ago and it has quickly become an all encompassing obsession for me.

My wife is an avid quilter and having just bought her a 14ft long arm quilting machine, we turned the old living room into a full blown quilting studio, blew out a wall between the dining area an old bedroom which has left me with what was the den my lovely bride has graciously allowed me to set up as a painting studio space for myself! :lol: It is not a large space but it is mine to do with as I please and I would like to think it out a bit before plowing into making/buying storage and work furniture so I was hoping maybe some of you who have been through this could provide me with some valuable insights and ideas. I will provide a brief description and a few photos of the area for consideration.

The space itself is smaller at just a few inches over 10 foot x 10 foot, so pretty much a square, with an 8 foot high ceiling. The widowed wall is west facing but fortunately we are surrounded by forest on all sides so bright direct sunlight is not an issue as it gets filtered through the trees quite effectively other than maybe a couple hours in the late afternoon in the dead of summer. On the east facing side it is a standard doorway with 3 tall open slots into the dining area which has three almost floor to ceiling windows on the north wall so that provides nice light into the workspace from the open slots in the studio wall.

The north wall in the studio space is solid and I was considering covering the entire wall with sheet metal and painting it white to use as a magnet wall for inspiration items, sketches and even small paintings. The south wall has a doorway into a storage pantry and other than that is solid.

Other than the inspiration wall idea I am somewhat perplexed on optimizing the space. I was thinking a small desk in the northeast corner facing out to the dining area windows could be nice and effective. For storage I am pondering lots of ideas but maybe some kind of rolling cabinet with drawers for paints and other supplies with a top that can hold a pallets and brushes would be simple and useful. I like an area to look busy and used all the while being fresh and organized. In a tighter space like this I think it is possible but I could see being overwhelmed quickly with clutter.

Please check out the pictures (I have tried to show the area around the workspace as well) and feel free to chime in with ideas whether they are along the lines of what I have been describing or otherwise. I want to think this through as it is the only room in the house that is all mine! :clap:

Please ignore the mess. We are just finishing taking down Christmas decorations and the studio space has been doubling as quick storage while doing work in the house! Lol!

Thanks for any help!

kin3

I would turn the easel around so light comes over my shoulder. Next add track lights so as to move them to shine on canvas. but i’m an old man so what do I know.

La_

lovely space

there’s been quite a few ‘show me your studio’ type threads started and everyone has similar but different formats for what works for their spaces.

Access to decent lighting … and a water source for clean up seem to be top priorities … then storage.

anyway, scroll through others studios here if you like, for a glimmer into the vast options others have settled into.

good luck, exciting times!

la

bobbybirds

I would turn the easel around so light comes over my shoulder. Next add track lights so as to move them to shine on canvas. but i’m an old man so what do I know.

Old men often have the most comprehensive experience and in turn some of the best advice so please do not hesitate! I am absolutely having trouble with the lighting. So much glare everywhere. I seem to see equal parts conflicting info on light. Some people say as much natural light as possible while others prefer a darker environment and full control over the light source. I just watched a video saying a 35 degree angle from the ceiling to your canvas and as high as possible is optimum although I am sure there are varying opinions of this. Also, is white too bright since so much natural light comes in? I don’t think my lovely bride will allow me to paint a dark colour conflicting with the rest of the open areas outside the studio room but maybe hanging a darker fabric could be an answer if that is of concern as my quilter wife has tons of that!

lovely space

there’s been quite a few ‘show me your studio’ type threads started and everyone has similar but different formats for what works for their spaces.

Access to decent lighting … and a water source for clean up seem to be top priorities … then storage.

anyway, scroll through others studios [URL=https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358256&highlight=show+studio]here[/URL] if you like, for a glimmer into the vast options others have settled into.

good luck, exciting times!

la

Thanks for the link! I will spend some time on it for sure…

Mario_K

I paint in the garage and have two LED lights behind me.
                        Since moving to oil paint it has caused issues with the glossiness of wet oil paint causing the light to shimmer on the surface of the canvas. Should the lights be above me instead?

My paintings are shown on the following:
                        https://www.instagram.com/mario_knez_artist/
                        https://www.facebook.com/marioknezartist

bongo

With light, the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflectance. So having the lights above you at angles will cause the light to be reflected down and away. But some of the light will scatter since the canvas is not perfectly flat but broken up with strokes of paint. The more texture- raised brush strokes, the more reflection. One thing that can help is paint the last coat of gesso top to bottom rather than horizontal.

Use a diffused light or bounced light, this will go a long way in eliminating reflections. Put a black drop cloth behind you – preferably something like velveteen. Gloss paint can act like a mirror, so putting a black drop cloth behind you gives it nothing to reflect.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                            STUDIOBONGO

Mario_K

With light, the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflectance. So having the lights above you at angles will cause the light to be reflected down and away. But some of the light will scatter since the canvas is not perfectly flat but broken up with strokes of paint. The more texture- raised brush strokes, the more reflection. One thing that can help is paint the last coat of gesso top to bottom rather than horizontal.

Use a diffused light or bounced light, this will go a long way in eliminating reflections. Put a black drop cloth behind you – preferably something like velveteen. Gloss paint can act like a mirror, so putting a black drop cloth behind you gives it nothing to reflect.

Thanks. I’ll see what I can do. I might have to move my easel just below the light if I can (my dad’s car is in the garage) or see if I can somehow get a lamp I can attach somewhere.
                                I had Galkyd slow dry in my paint, not sure if that makes it glossy. It was my first attempt at oil at home.

FriendCarol

Don’t know if this would be good for you, but there are tall floor lamps that look like pillars and point bright light at the ceiling; the reflected light is very good for reading, painting, etc. Of course, the ceiling should be white!

I have recently been looking at some really neat ideas for storage that folds away to a relatively small wardrobe sort of furniture, and opens up with LOTS of storage spaces, cubbies, etc. plus fold-down table(s). You might get ideas from theoriginalcrapbox.com or use duck.com to search for scrapbook cabinet and similar.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Audacity allows you to be at ease with your inadequacy, safe in the knowledge that while things may not be perfect, they are at least under way.
                                    Robert Genn[/I]

Mario_K

I’ve found that having a black coloured masonite board behind my canvas absorbs the glare. Happy accident. I clipped some canvas paper to masonite and notices less glare.

Mario_K

Thanks. I’ll see what I can do. I might have to move my easel just below the light if I can (my dad’s car is in the garage) or see if I can somehow get a lamp I can attach somewhere.
                                            I had Galkyd slow dry in my paint, not sure if that makes it glossy. It was my first attempt at oil at home.

I reckon it is glossier. I used galkyd lite and galkyd slow and the latter was glossier.

Mach5

Quick note on lighting. Be careful of the natural light with those trees. It will probably reflect a green cast into the room and onto your art.

[FONT="Arial Black"]Mark.
                                                A candle looses nothing by lighting another candle – Anon.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.