Home Forums Explore Media Airbrush newbie createx paints question

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Createx have several different varieties of air brush colors- airbrush- wicked- illustrated- illustrated opaque- bloodline
    my question is can you mix all these together if you really wanted too. I mean mixing illustrated and bloodline colors together or wicked and illustration colors- etc.
    any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

airbrush_ken

Yes you can…. no I wouldn’t… I manufactured paints for 23 years and the binders, pigments, and tints are all for different type projects, from fabrics to 50 plus year (artist pigment based) life… Createx makes an excellent t-shirt paint.

ok lets try it this way- I want to be able to master both portrait work for airbrush and also create fantasy art work like magic the gathering with the airbrush. I work with colored pencil and want to use the airbrush fro background work – however I would like to eventually only need to use the air brush to paint completed works. The size paper I am thinking of working on is 11 by 14 for portrait and 18 by 24 for fantasy style art work on Strathmore mixed media or bristol board. I do know that the HP-C plus is a workhorse standard but was wondering if any other models from Iwata would do the job better or make it easier to complete the project.

JaPizzy

Createx illustration colors, and bloodline are the same paint so they can mix no problem. Bloodline is just a specialized mix of colors that are designed by a famous horror and prop artist, Tim Gore. But they are beautiful colors and are great for any use. The regular illustration line is pretty much an artist mixing palette.

Wicked is pretty much a multi surface paint that lends itself well to custom painting on hard surface, like helmets, panels, murals etc. It works well and is very durable. But I’m no fan of how the wicked detail colors flow. Could never work em. It’s the same base as their auto air line, so it is great in conjunction with that paint line for exotic automotive finishes.

The regular airbrush colors are for textile and other wearable art. I’ve seen amazing work done with it, and I use it when I do textile work at shows, but for what you’re describing it would be less than ideal.

There are many other brands of paint that work well in any situation too though, FW acrylic ink is amazing in an airbrush and is great for anything but textile. Badger airbrush do a great job with their paint too, and is often overlooked if you ask me. Iwata Com-Art is another amazing fine art paint.

The best thing to do is find one that works best for you.

airbrush_ken

“I want to be able to master both portrait work for airbrush and also create fantasy art work like magic the gathering with the airbrush.”
                1) Are professionally trained in illustration work or fine art?
                *** You need to realize there is no different in the techniques used for fantasy or portrait work, when it comes to airbrush skill levels.

“use the airbrush fro background work – however I would like to eventually only need to use the air brush to paint completed works.”
                1) For background work a simple Paasche Mdl H would work fine. I set up Disney Background Artist some 20 odd years ago with the “H” and a Sparmax 250 Twin Cylinder compressor. A couple got VL’s with #1 tip/needle sets. Personally I have 12 airbrushes at my work station, but for the most part I used 7 different mdls, 4 different brands; EFBE, Paashe, Sparmax and Iwata.

“the HP-C plus is a workhorse standard ”
                1) I was the iwata service agent years ago and that statement is news to me. I think it has more to do with your location on the planet when it comes to brands, as several companies make great brushes. The choice has more to do with availability of spare parts, price, action type (single, dual, progressive) internal and external mix and most important; the feel of the brush in your hand… keep in mind you will be holding it many hours a day.

“11 by 14 for portrait and 18 by 24 for fantasy style art work ”
                1) The final print size usually determine the artwork size. Such as I used A-5 board for book markers as a sample. Magazine images and center folds I usually used A3 or A4 CS10 (no longer for sale…I have got a few boxes for my own stock).

As a final note I have ran workshops, classes and seminars for professional artists and illustrators till about 13 years ago, (wounds from Vietnam caught up with me) so I retired from full time work and now work from my studio.
                To reach the level of skill to produce quality professional level work takes years of pratice, but the finish results can be great.

Here is a sample of one of my students from the late 90’s, this was an Illustration for a “Computer Gaming” magazine and done on A3. At that point in time, the computer work wasn’t the quality (yet) of a good illustrator. His name was Jamie Tuffrey.

I will respond with factual information concerning paint if you still need it.
                Ken:wave:

fedetony

I have createx detail and wicked, I can mix them and paint with them without any issues. Createx needs to be a bit diluted for it to not clog the AB.

Federico Garcia
                    My Blog
                    C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

airbrush_ken

A quick note about paints… If you are doing work that will be digitized, then use what ever is easiest for your selected project. If you want permanence and plan to hag it for eternity, then only used “Artist Quality” pigmented base paints. If you want to know a company’s product info, just write directly and ask, but you must be specific in your questions. Sales people tend to fill in the gaps with terms like our paint is the “smoothest, brightest, new and on and on…meaning nothing really.
                        An example I wrote last year to Createx about what type of pigments they were using. They said; they made no airbrush paint with “Artist Quality” pigments, but they do sell those type pigments now to the public so you can mix up your own, with their binders.
                        I went from watercolor, gouache and dyes such as Dr Ph Martin’s Radiant Concentrated Water Colors (which were fugitive) to acrylics which were (Artist Quality) pigmented based. The main reason was the early works were for advertising and were to be scanned, later I started selling works to be hung through gallery’s and though water color/gouache is much easier to spray (I used an Paasche AB Turbo for over 30 years). I felt I wanted a more permanent art piece.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.