WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Library
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2003, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Frankfort, IN

Hails from United States
Thank you for all of the info provided on this subject. I have a lot of homework to do. I think I am going to slip on over to the library and see what I can find on the subject and dig a little deeper. The names help a lot. I think this will be a good starting point.

Whelan is someone that I am very familiar with. I used to go to the Whelan gallery on the North Shore of Oahu and spend an hour just browsing and listening to them tell me about them. I am sure that I frustrated a lot of the sales people in there. There were a few other artists works in there besides just Whelan. One in particular did a beautiful pegasus (a subject I adore) and I wish I would have kept track of the name, since I have a little more money and would have loved to get a print of that one. It was $2K back in 89. I am sure its probably a huge price today.

Hopefully, I will come back from the library with a lot more insight into surrealism. Having just a tiny bit of exposure to it, thanks to the web, I am finding myself hungry for more knowlege on the subject.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2003, 12:26 PM
A WC! Legend
Lenexa, Kansas, USA

Hails from United States
A few subjects to research:

Andre Breton

Dada

Symbolism

Surrealism

Abstract Expressionism

Salvador Dali

Max Ernst

Man Ray

Rene Magritte

Marcel Duchamp

--K
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2003, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
In, USA

Hails from United States
Here's a few of my favorite Symbolists... The first two are my favorites.

Alfred Kubin

Odilon Redon

Arnold Bocklin

Gustave Moreau

And a few of my favorite Surrealists..

Yves Tanguy

Remedious Varo

Roberto Matta

Leonora Carrington
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2012, 11:28 PM

Re: Surreal vs Fantasy/Sci-Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehaub
Can anyone explain the difference between surreal and fantasy/sci-fi art?

Fantasy usually based on myth, ancient tale, children tale, ancient book etc, mostly dungeon n dragon or fairy tale stuff. While Surrealis is more vast and unlimited...

Surrealist
surrealist generally mean the decoupling of aspects of reality. As example, reality of object and its function. This opened whole new ground of creativism.

Example, salvador dali works. Back to 1930s a sofa is a sofa, and a phone is a phone. Dali decoupling the reality : why not phonecall using a shrimp instead of phone, and sit on a lips instead a sofa ?. Hence he create the lobster phone and mae west lips sofa.

Today we met such creative surrealist works everyday isnt it ? we just dont aware it is

Early surrealist play experimenting with creature shape too. They would make several pictures of head, several pictures of various creature torso, and various pictures of lower body and legs of various real and imaginary character. Then take it randomly or interchange it with one made by their friend. So if you watch cartoon of human body and head with octopus leg, it is surreal too actually!. Both human body exist, octopus leg is exist, but the relationship between two is new. In this case well, some myth animal is of course surrealist object too, as example, centaur.

An example of such 'decoupling of creature and its character' is in dali elephant painting. Elephant in Dali painting are very tall, dynamic animal with long leg, this is the decoupling of elephant and character 'heavy, slow, bulky'. Then it is get new meaning/character (elephant is creature that is twiggy, tall, and fast).

Do this decoupling of object/creature and its character/function with a lot of thing if your paintings : cloud that is heavy and stockpiled on the ground, trees instead that is light so it is hovering on the sky, bird that eat a tiger etc, and you got something whose components is real, but it feels like a dreams of wildest beauty and imagination which is why I love surrealist painting.

Some comics also contains surrealist theme. Example are Don Lawrence 'Storm'

Don Lawrence storm : Sailship is real, but it is became surreal because sailship function is in sea, not in space...

Japanese manga 'One Piece' also have lot of surrealism influence...
If Dali create 'Lobsterphone' in the One Piece manga there is a life-snail phone, there also cloud kingdom/flying island, flying sailship etc...

And for me, it is the most beautiful and most creative form of art, by separate object and its perceived function, you are entirely free. What exist is just beauty.

Last edited by iwan rse : 05-07-2012 at 11:41 PM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2012, 07:10 PM

it remind me OFF THE MOVIE O+~T++TRON
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Apopka, Florida, near Orlando

Hails from United States

I don't like to be too analytical, anyway, anywhere. But the word "fantasy art" never sounds good to describe what I do (dragons, fairies, monsters, etc.) But "Sci-Fi Art" is supposed to be scientifically based like space ships or weapons that could plausibly work. Seems we have to know all this.

I like this description: "Imagination Art", and I wish "Fantasy Art" would change to that. But, too late. The art world already has decided on it...if I want to be understood or show somewhere in a category (sigh).
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2012, 06:06 PM

It seems to me that a lot of fantasy art is illustrative or storytelling by nature, whereas Surrealism is generally about psychological states. But I could be talking through my hat.

A few interesting fantasy artists of the nineteenth century:
Henry Fuseli
Anne Anderson
Richard Dadd
John Anster Fitzgerald
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylynx
I don't like to be too analytical, anyway, anywhere. But the word "fantasy art" never sounds good to describe what I do (dragons, fairies, monsters, etc.) But "Sci-Fi Art" is supposed to be scientifically based like space ships or weapons that could plausibly work. Seems we have to know all this.

I like this description: "Imagination Art", and I wish "Fantasy Art" would change to that. But, too late. The art world already has decided on it...if I want to be understood or show somewhere in a category (sigh).

every art involve imagination that is even less describing
fantasy art usually about ancient myth or medieval fantasy....

also mixing fantasy and scifi with surrealist and symbolist stuff could result in terrific (or terrifying) art...

so we will ignore all those categorization and draw/paint what we like anyway

Last edited by iwan rse : 05-18-2012 at 07:57 AM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandra Kelley
It seems to me that a lot of fantasy art is illustrative or storytelling by nature, whereas Surrealism is generally about psychological states. But I could be talking through my hat.

A few interesting fantasy artists of the nineteenth century:
Henry Fuseli
Anne Anderson
Richard Dadd
John Anster Fitzgerald

yea about psychological some surrealists such as Dali try to paint the state or using their subconscious...dreams, fear etc... For others (such as rene magritte) mostly about symbolism and beyond-real painting....
not sure about yves tanguy and his wife... watching his/her paintings for a few minutes make me feel my soul very2x empty. it just... weird....
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2014, 10:50 AM

I think all this probably proves more than any else possibly could, that the notion of 'divisions' between 'difference types' of art is in itself completely arbitrary- not to mention purely imaginative (and I guess pretty surreal, while we're on the subject!) ...

Last edited by Capo : 07-11-2014 at 10:52 AM.