Home Forums Explore Subjects Figure, The Do you Do it Standing up* ~Or~Mostly Sitting down*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    lovin art

Ok Im talking painting and drawing here of Course :D , at your easel … Im a stand at my easel type Girl …. I very rarely sit and draw from Life , unless Im In say in a Hospitial bed or somewhere where I can easily draw from life not being to intrusive from what I draw from …, but for the most part I enjoy working from an easel in the standing position….and that goes mostly for working from indoors to out doors… heres me Kinda at school working from the model , Iv posted this before may but it shows what Im use to …post some pics Guys if you want to share ,its nice to share as Winnie Bear says … :D

Yikes forgot the pic:o :D sorry cut the model off, ive just realized theres milk crates under that stand how inventive of my teachers :D

I ask this mostly cause Im curious if you think it hinders your work if you do it a certain way, and mainly what your views are on creating art like that , –do you feel you have as much control over your work standing or sitting ??? do share

Sandra….

Hi Sandra, I like the legs, my preference is to stand for two reasons. Firstly, standing the easel tends to be more vertical and therefore doesn’t suffer from a perspective shift at the top of the page. Secondly, it is easier when standing to stand back from the drawing and compare to the model. Admittedly this will be at a different angle (particularly when working close or more extreme foreshortening) but overall you can judge whether what you’ve done matches what you’ve seen.

Nathan.
        C&C always appreciated.
        My art on Instagram

dawnra

Hi Sandra,

I find it easier to stand at the easel or drawing board. I kinda think that I have free ‘er movement of my drawing hand as my elbow does not rest on the drawing board. I hope it encourages looser drawings though sometimes I wonder.

Mike

Mike

[FONT=Garamond]As I paint I talk to my canvas, in the hope that one day it will reply! http://www.laoisartist.blogspot.ie

lovin art

Hia Nathan …. well we think very similar then.:D nice to know … I do like to stand for those obvious reasons as you stated …. also it allows me to stand and squint at my subject so that I can see what it in mass form …. the moving thing you mention , I tend to find a mark and tend to focus on that of my easel and a point between my subject so that Im still looking in the same realitive measurments .. of course theres always room for human error isnt there ….

Hey Cheers Mike …well I guess being loose and free is up to you the artist … I am more aware of certain things the more I draw from Life , it is our best teacher in the end I feel (besides great teachers in my Life regardless:) ) …but of course we all need to understand the basics … that said ~some peoples ideas of the basics , seem to differ from others , for me I think the more traditional fundamentals in art are really what helps in creating a work of art that , makes you stop and hold your breath and standing having some easel time sure does help ..

I will say when Im bummest within myself , and Ive sat on a stool at school drawing(or should I say tried drawing) my art does not feel for the most part as special to me , no clue why , just I feel like that :o

carolkay

I also like the legs,, well i like the whole thing.

I am also a stand up artist— I seam to not be able to function as well when sitting down— when i am painting— i have the habit to back up about every few strokes— so you dont want to be close behind me– Ive been know to plow into others at times.

Of course this is totally unknowingly— as it is an uncontious reaction and Im not aware I’m doing it.

Nathan- mentioned about standing back from the drawing to compare, the LD here is so close you dont even have room to stand back and your right upon the model, looking down and then up.

Sighhhh!!! But then life is not always perfect— and so it goes.

But hopefully standing up will produce a freeer drawing, ect.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Carol Sometime's failure is the opposite to success~ but sometimes failure can be the pathway to success
                    lovin art

Carol .the Legs have it it seems :D … seems the stand thing is the strong appeal here , Ive no doubt you would be anything less girl .:thumbsup: .. :D

Ha ‘ I laughed at you saying about getting into the Zone:D , yeah it happens , for me its my ipod , I saw one an artist onCE standing near me , and for the most part she was really full on swinging her arms and making funny breathing noises completely over the top taking over my drawing space invading my personal space is not a good thing:rolleyes: :o :D ….I dont fling my arms but I certainly like my space , I am slightly in more control then that … but its what floats your boat I guess …

kevinwueste

Like that turn of the head there Ms H!

Me – I mostly like to sit on a high stool with my nice little cushion.. I also stand, and it is probably best but I am lazy! I have done it on the floor, seated, standing and looking a bit sideways.. drawing of course – what I’m referring too!

-kw

i draw, paint and teach | my voice is hoarse | my shoulder hurts.
                            Talent is really a capacity for a certain type of learning of knowledge and a consuming interest in the facts that contribute to that knowledge~ Andrew Loomis
                            http://www.kevinwuesteart.blogspot.com
                            "kevinwueste" on instagram

I do stand for all my regular life drawing sessions. When I am at an all-day workshop I have a high stool close by to rest on if I can. When the model has a break- I sit to give myself a break. I don’t feel the aches until I stop!
                            I learned to stand at the easel- I was told by an early teacher in no uncertain terms to stand up, use huge paper, large charcoal sticks and get my shoulder working for loose drawings. (My shoulder aches all the time now!!)
                            At home when I am working on a large painting I stand, then sit for the smaller details at the finish. For smaller works I sit on an adjustable wheely chair.

That model stand looks exactly like the one we build each drawing session! Because we share a local hall- we have to pack up/set up each time. (I grind my teeth at the people who turn up each week to draw and never help with the set-up and pack- up!)
                            My dream is to turn up to a drawing session and have the space already set up, ready to go- and not have to pack up at the end. I dream on ….

bethany
                            moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
                            website www.bethanyart.com
                            My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

llawrence

For some reason I almost always draw sitting down, but almost always paint standing up. Never thought about it ’till now. Go figure… :confused:

ArtistOz

I prefer standing its the most flexible position sitting does restrict your movements I got great flowing lines drawing with my body standing, these days I can’t stand for long so need to sit.

If you look at the old photos you see a mix of standing and sitting I was surprised how often students in the really old days sat for drawing. We had the same, standing for painting and sitting at times for drawing. One teacher always arranged the donkeys in a semi circle for the class to sit on I dont why as only three of us keen ones out of fifteen would show up for his classes, we often had to draw the easels stacked in the corner. :)

I was surprised in reading Tony Ryder’s book he sits for his long drawings. I think you concentrate better sitting, standing has too many distractions, just a theory?

John Peter Russel was a student with Van Gogh and writes about how Vincent by his vigorous movements would throw paint everywhere even on the ones nearest him. You can see the advantage in having your own space. ;)

Bill,
                                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/artistoz/
                                    Instagram, billwperry

Nonno

Ok Im talking painting and drawing

Glad you cleared that up!:heart:

I always sit to draw.
                                        Two reasons
                                        1 There is not enough room for easels at the place where my LD group meets.

2 Even if there was, I couldn’t take mine to the group because I’m on 4 rush hour buses each day and for some strange reason the drivers and the other passengers don’t like easels on the bus! And my easel is on sort of permanent loan to a gallery because there’s not enough room to leave it up at home either.

Jonathan.

OK

Standing, with the current UK economic crises I’ve had to sell all the furniture.

:wave: Dave

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
                                            — Allen Ginsberg
                                            Are you ready for a Journey?
                                            PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

dgford

I prefer standing at my watercolour easel (W&N Bristol Sketching easel) for the drawing phase — with the drawing surface vertical and at about 45 degrees to my line of sight. So it is Look, Memorise and Draw. I use this for plein air also.
                                                For the painting phase, I flatten the surface as much as required for the control of the washes and brush flow, but still need to be standing and moving.
                                                I seem to remember once seeing a photograph of a 19th century atelier group all standing at right-angles to the line of sight to the subject. I wonder why?
                                                Geoff

Success is a Journey
                                                kirants

I don’t have a preference as such. That doesn’t mean am versatile. I mostly prefer standing because it helps me use my elbow and shoulders for freer movement and strokes. Like others have said, when standing I can step back and look for possible improvements better. Depending on the pose, I sometimes prefer sitting on a horse i.e. when I find the view from below interesting, perspective shapes and all. While sitting, I find the chances of errors are more because with time I might have a tendency to slouch on my back changing the perspective slightly….

….oops! Were you referring to drawing/painting ?? :D:D

- Kiran [ Recent work: Life studies , Sketches in public ]

lovin art

Like that turn of the head there Ms H!

Me – I mostly like to sit on a high stool with my nice little cushion.. I also stand, and it is probably best but I am lazy! I have done it on the floor, seated, standing and looking a bit sideways.. drawing of course – what I’m referring too!

-kw

:o You make me blush Mr kdub, to say you like my work …and So the Giant Guy is Lazy eh !!!;-) , well I guess if I was ~ oOOOooo how tall are U:D ) Id be reaching for something to bring me back down to earth too seeing your already angel like …. Arent you just unLucky I mean Lucky Im not in your class Teacher boy, as I would playfully have to pay out on you something wild :heart::D tOtALLY aLL YOUR fAULT !

[B]bethanyt [/B]My dream is to turn up to a drawing session and have the space already set up, ready to go- and not have to pack up at the end. I dream on .

I hear you Beth :D … I think you would PROB hate me then IRL:o :heart: Im one of those ones that does pretty much that, one of those art students you know the type’ that just turns up and never helps in the set up:o ….draws her ass off and walks out buzzing no matter what:D …. ok maybe now and then at least I get my own easel ready , and mostly at any life drawing seesion I hate to be late … but when I am I seem to be the one that walks into the room and everyones stares at …. I figure its my curse ….:D cheers girl!

Well Louis guess I gave you and mE something to chew over then … :D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.