Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink Pen and Ink Help Desk Ink Samples and Setting Up Lightfastness Tests

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 182 total)
  • Author
    JamieWG

This is a Read-only file – the original can be found here.

I had 13 ink samples come in yesterday:
        Noodler’s Nightshade
        Noodler’s Sequoia
        Noodler’s Walnut
        Noodler’s Navy
        Noodler’s Pecan
        Noodler’s Whaleman’s Sepia
        Noodler’s Kung Te-Cheng
        Noodler’s Baystate Blue
        Private Reserve Velvet Black
        Private Reserve Avocado
        Private Reserve Chocolat
        Diamine Red Dragon
        J. Herbin Rouge Hematite

I played with the samples on a sheet of an 11×14″ Raffine sketchbook, since this paper is well sized to allow the ink to move with water. I was especially interested in seeing which ones would wash with a waterbrush, and for how long they’d retain that characteristic, and which ones stayed put.

The ones that washed the best and longest have small stars next to the name on the test sheet. I kept returning to the samples and going over parts of the writing with a waterbrush. The Noodler’s Kung Te-Cheng is definitely Bulletproof. All of the others washed more than that one, with several contenders for ink and wash work.

The bottom row of inks is from the March Ink Drop from Goulet Pens. For those not familiar with the Ink Drop, you pay $10 a month, and each month five ink samples show up in your mailbox! You also get a 10% discount on full bottles of that month’s inks, in case you fall in love with one of the samples. Other member discounts are also offered.

In addition to knowing how much the different inks wash, I am interested in finding out which ones are lightfast. I cut pieces of Strathmore 500 Plate Bristol for this. I know the ink sinks in a lot more on this; maybe it would have been better to do it on a different surface, but I’ll see how this goes.

A heavy line of the ink was drawn with a Q tip, going back and forth four times. Then I washed with a waterbrush to draw down some of the ink into a wash line below. I wrote the ink names in on each side with a bamboo dip pen, and the strips were cut in half. The left halves will go into a south facing window. The right halves will be stashed in a wooden box so they will not be exposed to light. I’ll keep comparing them over time, and will add each month’s Ink Drop samples to the test. I’ll report back as I check on the samples being tested.

For ink and wash work, I’ve decided to experiment with Nightshade first in one of my pens. I’ve loaded up a Lami Safari fountain pen with that, and I’ll do the washes with a waterbrush. I selected that ink because I think the purple wash color will make for good, cool-colored shadows even if used alongside watercolor. There’s actually more ink in these samples than I thought there would be — plenty to experiment with and get a good feel for each of them. Even after all the testing I did, plus filling up my Lamy converter, I probably have half the sample left! My art intern was here yesterday and she was playing with the samples too, so that’s quite a bit of ink.

If anybody else wants to add samples and lightfastness tests to this thread, I’m certainly willing to share it so it can be a forum reference.

Jamie

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
        Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
        [/url]
        One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

Studio-1-F

Perfect, Jamie! Thanks for posting.:thumbsup:

Q: the Noodler’s Whaleman’s Sepia sure looks pretty “bulletproof” as well. (Whatever that means. I am not very sturdy on that term, to tell the truth.) Anyway, tell me — you have the samples right in front of you — does it have any sepia color to it at all? It looks plain blackish-grey on my monitor. Sepia says to me, you know, “brown”.

Jan

JamieWG

Perfect, Jamie! Thanks for posting.:thumbsup:

Q: the Noodler’s Whaleman’s Sepia sure looks pretty “bulletproof” as well. (Whatever that means. I am not very sturdy on that term, to tell the truth.) Anyway, tell me — you have the samples right in front of you — does it have any sepia color to it at all? It looks plain blackish-grey on my monitor. Sepia says to me, you know, “brown”.

Jan

Jan, you’re reading it correctly. I was really surprised that it wasn’t a brown ink at all!

On the Raffine paper, the Whaleman’s Sepia still moves a bit. It’s not as Bulletproof as the Kung Te-Cheng, though I don’t remember how they’ve classified it at Noodler’s. It certainly doesn’t wash as easily as other samples do. I’ll be interested in your opinion when you get your Ink Drop and have a chance to experiment. Maybe there is a place in our artistic lives for a black ink that washes a little bit and its lines stay put!

Jamie

[/url]

rickop

I have some fountain pens and I love the Noodlers range of colors. Bulletproof inks are specially designed to bind to the paper. Any smearing is excess ink sitting on top of the paper and dried in place. A little water picks it up and lets it move. A wetter pen will see more of this than a dry writing pen.

Rick

Darci Jones

Wow, this is great Jamie. . . so glad you are also doing the fade test! I will be very interested to hear how that comes out. I really like the PR BV ink I am using and I ordered a sample of their Chocolat and also Noodlers Walnut which should both come with my Ink Drop. From you test, the Chocolat looks really washy, cool!!! I also really like the Raffine sketch for pen washes. Great paper.

I will make samples when mine come. Crossing fingers it will be today or tomorrow so I will have for the weekend. :)

tuan

Jamie, this is great. I wish the Fountain Pen Network would do this kind of “wash test” as part of their standard test suite in addition to their favorite “throw it in the pool for an hour” wash test. Some deep, rich, elegant inks turn silly candy colors when brushed with water, some have their lines wash right off the page, some create rock solid lines with only the faintest wash…. Finding an ink with a beautiful line that doesn’t wash away yet produces a beautiful wash can’t be done without doing what you’re doing. Those few candidates that pass probably won’t fare well in the lightfastness test, but maybe we’ll get lucky.

Thanks again for this great thread, Jamie.

Darci Jones

oh, yay . . . I just checked tracing and my seven samples will arrive today!

Darci Jones

My Ink Drop came. . . so first I did just a few lines with each using my dip pen and washed them. The Noodler’s Kung Te-Cheng and Whaleman’s Sepia both are pretty much bulletproof when dry on the visual journal. Too bad. . . anyway, since Jamie already did great wash tests and is also doing fade test, for my little test, I am going to do a little quick sketch using my crow quill dip pen with each of my new colors, slap on a wash and share what I get as far as tones.

Here is the first one.

J. Herbin Rouge Hematite (1670 Anniversary Ink)
                                    Strathmore Visual Journal Mixed Media 3.5 x 5

JamieWG

Rainy, great to see your wash sketch with this Hematite ink. That one was the highest chroma of all of them I think — even more than Baystate Blue! It’s going to be wonderful having a group of artists to test drive these inks. With each person experimenting in different ways, we’ll get a good idea of what these inks can do!

Jamie

[/url]

gakinme

Thank you, Jamie, for the tests. I’ll be interested to see the lightfastness in a few months definitely. I do like that Private Reserve Chocolate now that I see it side by side with Noodler’s Walnut. Should have bought it last week when I was traveling. They sold it cheaper than online prices at only $6.90 a bottle.

Rainy, that hematite is really red!

Darci Jones

Yes, the hematite is very bright vivid color. . . reminded me of Daniel Smith’s Quin Coral!

Here is my next ink test. . . this one is not in the Ink Drop but was one of the other two I had gotten samples of Private Reserve Chocolat. I was hoping it would be a nice brown but when washed, it turns really red. Much more red tones than you can tell from this as the photo come out blurry and a bit dark.

This was the bluebird photo by Dave Slaughter from the ink challenge.
                                                Raffine sketch

JamieWG

I LOVE the way the Chocolat ink washes! I haven’t put that one into a pen yet, but it’s one of the samples I’ll probably be getting a bottle of once the sample is gone, providing the red component holds up in the lightfastness test! Great job on the sketch too, Rainy.

Jamie

[/url]

Darci Jones

Thanks Jamie. . . actually, I saw just how much red is in that ink by accident as I was putting it into my Safari to try it there rather than my crow quill (which is SO fine). . . and one of the dogs decided to take that moment to jump on me and it spilled. Luckily, I had already flushed and filled the converter but the rest went all over the cabinet and sink. When wiping it up with a wet paper towels, it turned really red. So all I have left is what is in my Lamy. *sigh* I have also learned that regular soap does not work well to take off ink on skin, even fountain pen ink, but the Artist Soap does it perfectly :) and from now on I’m wearing gloves when doing inks changes just in case! And maybe I should lock myself in the bathroom away from the dogs, too :o

I do like the chocolat and may order some in future but its not quite the brown I was hoping for, so I looked back over the Ink Drop from past months and noticed they had just sent out a bunch of browns a few months back and probably would not be sending those again soon so I ordered some brown samples yesterday along with a cheapy spare pen so I don’t have to change my Lamy all the time

JamieWG

Yes, from now on GLOVES….Most definitely! LOL You should have seen my hands after I finished test driving 13 inks! You and I are definitely on the same wavelength — I also looked over the past Ink Drops to see if I missed anything important in the blacks and browns! I hope they will include Noodler’s Black Swan in Australian Roses soon. :D

BTW, I just got a Preppy fountain pen with a .5 nib and I am impressed. Hard to beat this for three bucks (at Jetpens.com)! You can also convert it to an eyedropper pen for next to nothing. Brian did a video about how to do it at Goulet.

Jamie

[/url]

gakinme

Rainy, ROFL. Yes, lock yourself in some secure place or you would be black and blue before you know it. The things we do for art. I put on so much gear when I do soft pastels that I could be in a surgery on the table.

That Private Reserve Chocolate now looks a bit too red for me when washed. I’ll try my walnut ink today but it’s only with dip pen.

Jamie, I saw the Preppy fountain pen at Jetpens but it’s a medium nib, isn’t it? Can you post the link to refilling with eyedropper method please?

Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 182 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.