Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil What supplies do i need to create this in colored pencil?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    aurora_skys

Hey everybody, I want to do a portrait of my sister’s black lab/pit mix but the only photo’s of her are terrible, the lines are good but the colors are just awful. I found this wallpaper online of a black lab and I would love to mimic this style in colored pencil for my sister’s dog’s portrait.

I’m attaching the wallpaper so you guys can see,

I’m thinking black paper, but I don’t know the best kind to get,
        and then what about the lines? Just a white colored pencil? I’d love some suggestions!

I'm a busy mom of three, squeaking in art when I can :>

ocmd123

Most definitely black paper. I don’t use colored paper, so I will let someone else suggest a brand. And I would suggest white, grey, and maybe a darker color to add extra depth to the black on the dog. I’m thinking maybe a deep purple or indigo?

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
            Instagram

Save

ElenaM

I am using for many years now Artagain black pastel pad 9x12in. They are sold in 24 sheets of 12x9in. They are rather inexpensive. First I found this paper at Aaron brothers but Dick Blick carries it.Or try Amazon.Here is a drawing on this paper.

smudged-blue

I love shot’s like this. I have created a piece very similar to this, mine is of a Rottie pup. I decided to do mine on white paper to keep the vibrancy of the colors and also because I had better knowledge of how the colors would work together, plus it was all I had at the time. The background was alot of work though. I did it as a WIP and tried to explain things as I went, I’ll attach a link below.

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306463

Please feel free to ask me any questions or PM me.

Another piece you may be interested in was done by Peggy (anniecanjump). I’ll attach two links below that Peggy had started, may also be helpful for you.

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1317383

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1319729

Sonia.
                    My photos available as reference
                    "Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." ~ George Bernard Shaw.

aurora_skys

Thanks guys, I read through the links you posted, very helpful. Here is the photo of my sisters dog,
                        Like I said, bad photo but it has potential. So it looks like I will need a few greys and just a bit of white to mimic that monochrome, minimalist wallpaper. I’m going to adjust the dog’s eye positions to show less white (this snap was the day she left the pound so she looks a little freaked out!) and i want to let the black paper do most of the work…

I want a very crisp, minimalist effect. As far as the little touches of bright white, should i use some sort of paint pen?

birdlady

with that pose its going to be exciting to watch as the puppy comes to life in your hands .. I love the thought of black paper …good luck on what ever u decide

Laurie

Skappy

Hi I ve pushed the edges a bit hope it can help
                                Robert

aurora_skys

oh wow skappy, thank you for that! It’s really helping me see the light and dark areas! I’m going to be referencing that pic too, thanks!

I’ve got the outlines transferred onto the black paper and now I’m staring at it, pencils at the ready, my stereo is thumpin, my kids are out of my hair, and my hands have turned all clammy – nerves hahaha!

And of course the radio is playing lyrics, “Don’t think about it too much, too much…”

Ok, here goes.

ocmd123

Those first lines. Always the hardest!

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
                                        Instagram

Save

clydeine

Well I did a black lab in water on black paper back when I started and what I would do different would be use more than just white. I would use more grays and light blues. Just a thought. That is such a cute reference image. Both of them!

aurora_skys

Ok, I will try and post some pics of the process so far,
                                                here is a tracing i did from my pc monitor, with transfer paper underneath. This was my first time using transfer paper

The transferred image on to the paper

and then here I have started in on the fur, using warm grays going dark to light. I finished the eyes for the most part and am working my way around the face, muzzle first. I used a bit of yellow ochre in the iris, other than that it’s all grayscale. Sorry for the blurry pics. A lot of detail has been lost in that last picture, I will post a better one tomorrow with better lighting and more progress.

ocmd123

You’re on your way! Great start!

Instagram

Save

Watching with interest, thank you for sharing your wip
                                                    Deb

Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly.... on a broomstick, we're flexible like that. :lol:
                                                    Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/debstanleyart
                                                    Instagram debstanleyart

smudged-blue

Good start, look forward to the next update.

Sonia.
                                                        My photos available as reference
                                                        "Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." ~ George Bernard Shaw.

aurora_skys

Alrighty, I think I’m done. It’s strangely difficult to get a good picture of this, it either ends up looking much whiter than in real life or sort of blurry. I went with the less bright picture, the black paper still has glare unfortunately.

Canson paper. Coloursoft and Prismacolors.

criticism welcome :>

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                                          • The topic ‘What supplies do i need to create this in colored pencil?’ is closed to new replies.