Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Which colored pencils best for beginners – Derwent vs Prismacolor vs ….???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Kettlebelle

Advice desperately (urgently) needed — I am heading overseas next week and want to take a set of colored pencils for my 12 year old nephew. He likes to draw but doesn’t have anything good to use so I want the gift to be special. I thought I would get him a decent big set of maybe 72, plus paper, blenders etc and maybe some of those adult coloring books also to get him inspired. I work with mosaics, so pencils are the last medium I know about. I am in USA and want to order on Amazon asap or can go to store in next couple days.

Any suggestions on what is best for beginners, maybe softer ones that are blendable? Derwent or Prismacolor both get good reviews but I am simply clueless as there may be a better option out there…

Any and all feedback greatly appreciated! (Including papers and what other bits n pieces he might need)

Thank you in advance for the help!:heart:

Darren

I suppose it depends how much you want to spend. Perhaps the Prismacolor, as they are wax-based and lay down a little more buttery which could be fun for him, as a beginner, to experiment with blending etc. You can get a colorless blending pencil with them too.

ManedWolf

I suppose it depends how much you want to spend. Perhaps the Prismacolor, as they are wax-based and lay down a little more buttery which could be fun for him, as a beginner, to experiment with blending etc. You can get a colorless blending pencil with them too.

I agree. Derwent Inktenses are difficult for a beginner and Prismacolors have their notorious lead breaking habit. If you don’t want to spend a year’s salary buying a Faber-Castell Polychromos 60 colour set, a Caran d’Ache Pablo 80 set or a Caran d’Ache Luminance 6901 76 set, you might consider Lyra Rembrandt Polycolor and Koh-i-noor Hardtmuth Polycolor as they are quite soft and feel similar to Prismacolors. I don’t know how the Blick Studios feel but they (as well as Utrechts) come from Koh-i-noor Hardtmuth and have exactly the same colours, and Koh-i-noor Hardtmuth Mondeluz is their water-soluble sister. Another twin pair you might consider are SoHo Urban Artist and Cretacolor Karmina; both are made by Cretacolor and in quality terms I’d compare them to Koh-i-noor Polycolors and its siblings.

Koh-i-noor Hardtmuth Polycolor (or Blick Studio or Utrecht) would be my choice (after Faber-Castells and Caran d’Aches) if the nephew was mine. A couple or even a half dozen of different drawing pads (thin ~ thick and smooth ~ rough paper, there is no such thing as The Best Paper For Everyone), a handful of metal sharpeners and, yes, perhaps a couple of adult colouring books. (Last week I found three Disney colouring books printed on very acceptable sketchbook-type paper, and unless your nephew absolutely hates Disney animation classics and children’s colouring books, you might find one with Harry Potter or big machines or familiar animals at the local book shop or supermarket.)

A K-i-n Hardtmuth Polycolor 72 set:

http://www.htconline.in/content/images/thumbs/w_1_0008652_kohinoor-polycolour-artist-coloured-pencils-set-of-72-tin-box.jpeg

and a colour chart with approximate lightfastness stars:

http://img15.deviantart.net/d05e/i/2012/052/8/c/color_chart_koh_i_noor_polycolor_by_jankov-d4qej5q.jpg

Heikki

PS. Lyra Rembrandt Polycolor and Koh-i-noor Hardtmuth Polycolor are two totally different products – ‘polycolor’ is just a Latin-like equivalent of ‘many colours’. The Lyra 72 set includes two blenders and looks like this:

http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB17TH9KpXXXXcRXVXXq6xXFXXXH/36-colors-high-quality-Lyra-Rembrandt-Polycolor-Premium-Oil-Based-Colored-Pencils-iron-box-packed-colored.jpg

Sutra

If he sticks with the colored pencils he’ll eventually n Ed to buy replacements open stock, What country does he live in?

Highrise

I picked up prismacolors and havent looked back. I have yet to try any other CP simply because I dont feel there is a need to. Id say see if you can buy a couple individual pencils of each and try them out that way. Good Luck!!!

adamBomb

Prismacolors break so much it makes me want to throw them in the garbage. Its really annoying. The colors are great but they are really frustrating because over 50%…more like 80% of their pencils break during sharpening. I don’t have other brands so cant recommend one but I can tell you my experience with the prismas…

I enjoy art. I love surfing and live at the beach...:cool:

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/raymepastore/
                            Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/raymepartistry/

Highrise

What kind of sharpener do you use? And you can also throw them in the microwave for a few seconds to soften the lead it helped me with the breaking issue.

douglass

I have never had an issue with my Prismas! & I have bought the made in mexico ones!
                                    the fact that you live in the US, makes Prismas a good choice…as their price is excellent compared to the others!
                                    go for it….he will be delighted!

Lynette

eonworks

Koh-i-noor Polycolor pencils are really good for the price, though they are probably much cheaper in Europe. I think that a 36 set would be sufficient for a 12 year old beginner.

Kettlebelle

Wow, thank you all so much for the advice! I have my work cut out for me today to research this as you have given me some great suggestions! I guess I could buy him some Prismacolor for the ease and cost effectiveness, and if he has issues or has moved beyond them, I will bring him a different kind next year. I will explore ALL of your suggestions though, and do appreciate the feedback, especially as I am new on here!

Also, He likes architecture and buildings, so I have noticed some great adult coloring books out there for those which I am ordering online today!

Any more ideas, please feel free to post!

My very best…Kettlebelle :heart:

Kettlebelle

I am actually looking at Kohinoor Polycolor now, which also look interesting. Are they soft and blendable?

(I know I have used Kohinoor soft pastels before and they’re quite nice)

ManedWolf

Also, He likes architecture and buildings, so I have noticed some great adult coloring books out there for those which I am ordering online today!

Wow, so do I. I guess I have to take a second look; I’ve had the impression that the adult colouring books contain mainly flowers and mandalas.

I am actually looking at Kohinoor Polycolor now, which also look interesting. Are they soft and blendable?

All colour pencils are blendable but yes, the KPs are on the softer end of the scale.

Heikki

GeneH2016

I just recently decided to try color pencils, and ran into way too many reviews about Prismacolor being fragile, and a lot of internal breakage. Also the leads (?) are often off center causing sharpening breakage.

Hate to give such a bad opinion, keep in mind that what I read on the internet, so it must be true…. right?

I went with Fabre-Castell Polycromos for lack of bad reviews. Also I wanted sharp tips, less pastel look, good price, so that influenced my purchase.

Not enough info on the Dick Blick brand, so no opinion.

2016:Starting pencil drawing to emulate my film photography: faces of people and pets that exhibit and evoke pleasant emotion. (wow that sounds pompous.)
                                                        The devil is going to be in the details.... :crossfingers:

Sutra

I just recently decided to try color pencils, and ran into way too many reviews about Prismacolor being fragile, and a lot of internal breakage. Also the leads (?) are often off center causing sharpening breakage.

Hate to give such a bad opinion, keep in mind that what I read on the internet, so it must be true…. right?

I went with Fabre-Castell Polycromos for lack of bad reviews. Also I wanted sharp tips, less pastel look, good price, so that influenced my purchase.

Not enough info on the Dick Blick brand, so no opinion.

Polychromos are wonderful pencils with very clean colors and less expensive than anything from Caran Dache. I would choose them over Prismas any day. That said, the 2 sets of Prismas that I bought from Amazon last year, actually sold by Amazon and not a third party, have none of the flaws that people experienced in the past with that brand.

GeneH2016

… the 2 sets of Prismas that I bought from Amazon last year, actually sold by Amazon and not a third party, have none of the flaws that people experienced in the past with that brand.

Possible Prisma’s quality dip has been addressed? That would be really good news as they were apparently such a wonderful pencil.

2016:Starting pencil drawing to emulate my film photography: faces of people and pets that exhibit and evoke pleasant emotion. (wow that sounds pompous.)
                                                                The devil is going to be in the details.... :crossfingers:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.