Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Lakelse Lake with a double rainbow

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    jonc50

Lakelse Lake with a double rainbow
        This is the beginning W.I.P. of a fall scene that’s from photos at a lake where I drive by every week with my grandson. We often stop for lunch on our way home from the town next to ours if the weather permits. We usually take a light snack and there are people swimming and boating in the summer but this is an autumn scene when the leaves had turned and the lake was quite calm with the end of a rainstorm still sprinkling the lake. I’m hoping to include a double rainbow which I’ve never painted before, but I have numerous photos from our rainy coastal climate. This acrylic is on a large (30” x 40”) gesso board. I’m not sure how the rainbow will work out but we will see as we progress. The main photo is from a light rainy fall day and the rainbow will be from several other photos of local weather displays that show the double rainbows. The photo I’m using of the lake isn’t including a double rainbow so I’m using my other photos that show the peculiarities of this phenomenon. Since I’ve been doing watercolours for the last several months, I haven’t touched the acrylics. I would have went with the watercolours for this except for the limited size of my supply of watercolour pads…not to mention that I already have a frame for this size as well. :crossfingers:

jonc50

This is a rough sketch of the shoreline.

Hey, Jon. Looking forward to seeing this develop in your fine fashion.

Every one is a tutorial.

A painting is never really done as long as I can get my hands on it.

I will look forward to seeing this develop.

Is this the Lakelse Lake up in the Bulkley-Nechako?

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

Dcam
                jonc50

I will look forward to seeing this develop.

Is this the Lakelse Lake up in the Bulkley-Nechako?

No, the lake is about twenty minutes from the Skeena River. The top end of the lake has a connecting river which is the “Lakelse river” that empties into the Skeena River on its way to the Pacific coastal town on Prince Rupert.

jonc50

Thanks Cliff and Derek.

jonc50

This is a bit of work on positioning some of the local objects…all various trees.

maryinasia

gorgeous already

gaykir

Love to watch the progression.

http://gaylekirbyart.blogspot.com/

Katie Black

I like where you’re at!

Katie Black Fine Art

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde

It’s good to see you back!
                                        Nice also to watch a work developing as if we’re alsmost in the studio (or kitchen, or back room!!!!!!!!!! – or garage!)

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

jonc50

It’s good to see you back!
                                            Nice also to watch a work developing as if we’re alsmost in the studio (or kitchen, or back room!!!!!!!!!! – or garage!)

Or dungeon! My wife is allergic to the acrylic paints which is why I’m mostly painting in the watercolour venue. This one is quite large and too large for my watercolour blocks. :(

jonc50

A bit of work on the shoreline. The top side of the painting is the lake with a bit of wind moving it, but the front half is in a protected bay where I’m photographing on the beach in light rain with the sun trying to break through. The trees are a mix of Sitka Spruce and Hemlock, both species are evergreens with the odd Red Cedar in the foreground and the rest are just about all deciduous; Alder (still in leaf) which are green, and the yellow/orange are mostly Cottonwood with the leaves turning. Along the shoreline there are Red-Osier Dogwood which turn red in the autumn.

jonc50

Thanks Mary, Gail, and Katy. This will take a while to finish the details and insert a double rainbow.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.