Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Re-screwing Caps to Oil Paint Tubes

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    RaphaelG1

I rarely am able to re-screw caps securely to oil paint tubes. Some paint brands are better than others but most do not re-screw without cross-threading.
        I clean the threads as best I can but to no avail.
        Am I the only one having this problem.
        Ralph

Ralph
        "Oh what dust we raise" said the fly upon the chariot wheel

La_

rotate lid counter clock wise until it clicks onto the thread, then tighten clockwise.

la

RaphaelG1

la … if this works I’m going to label you a genius.

Ralph

Ralph

RaphaelG1

la…. you are my muse.

I had about a dozen cross-threaded tubes and now I’m down to just 2 that won’t cooperate. Probably just too gunked up … but I’ll work on those over the weekend.
                    Thanks a million!!!
                    Ralph

Ralph

bongo

golf tees also work. Instead of replacing the cap, stick a golf tee in the tube. Makes a good seal -easy in – easy out.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                        STUDIOBONGO

Dcam
                            RaphaelG1

Thank you for the suggestions.

I’m a golfer so I have golf tees all over the place. Fat wood screws are a different story… never heard of them.
                                What I’m learning here is that I’m not to only person who struggles with cross-threaded paint tube caps.

If there’s a manufacturer listening in why not try to improve that part of your product.

Ralph

Ralph

bongo

I paint with acrylics but had the same problem. So I switched from tubes to 8oz tubs that Golden Paints offers. I thought I would save paint too, since unused paint on the palette could be put back in the tub. Doesn’t work out that way, I manage to get the threads on the tub lids caked with paint. Any paint left on the palette is too contaminated with other colors, or too little to scoop back in the tub. And I tend to contaminate the paint in the tub by using a dirty brush or palette knife when I scoop paint. I have sloppy habits.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                                    STUDIOBONGO

chamisa

One way I’ve found that helps to keep both the cap and tube free of gunking up
                                        Is when you squeeze out paint press the paint tube nozzle very flat on the palette after loading the paint and scrape it across the palette so there is no paint left oozing out the nozzle.

RaphaelG1

Good point, Chamisa.

That little extra curl of paint should be wiped onto the palette.

Ralph

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.