Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking Anyone know anything about RGM Etching Presses?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JenJKetz

I am looking to purchase a small table top press and found the RGM Manual Etching press 10.5 x 16.5, but cannot find any reviews posted anywhere. Is anyone familiar with these?

Many thanks,
        Jen

ic.Art

Hi Jen

Thanks for your thoughts about the ‘Cover’ paper, didn’t know about the 20min soak time. Been soaking for 5 mins, will try out the longer time.

I have a RGM2642 table top etching press and you’re right, there’s not alot of info on them, I had to experiment with mine. The website below are the makers, I’m sure they would answer queries.
            http://www.rgm-art.com/n/en/category/110/manual_etching_presses_for_chalcographic_printing.html

I mostly use my larger floor model Urbino model for etching and collographs or hand burnish finer papers on woodblocks…..but I do sometimes use the RGM and it is a lovely little machine!…do buy an extra blanket or cut one or two out of an old bed blanket. I use a ‘blanket’ of thin, fine, dense foam as a top blanket at times to help with traction on the top roller.

It can slip sometimes with metal or plastic plates and finer papers so you do have to play with calibration and blankets but the process is very do-able. For lino, blue/green vinyl blocks and low relief collographs it works very well, high relief collographs not as well, do need heavier rollers for those.

If you use it please post a photo of your work!

'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.' - Robert Henri

JenJKetz

Thank you for the insight on the RGM, much appreciated! I am looking for a small press mostly for drypoint, color monotypes, and some lino cuts. Sounds like it may work fine. Below is a lino cut in process…too large for that press, lol. 24×18

JenJKetz

So, I got he press, but am having some issues in setting it up. I can’t seem to get enough pressure on the bed plate for it to roll through without the plate being so tight against the roller I can’t run a plate through. According to the directions I should be able print with just the one blanket provided, but I am thinking that since the roller is squeezing my plate right off the plate I may need more.

Jen your dog looks amazing. I thought it was the finished piece then realised it was the lino. Gonna look great.

Reminds me of a lurcher I used to have – can’t quite tell what dog it is as no ears!

I just got a new press too last week – not got a chance yet to experiment.

I did have similar problems to you with my last press – I had to tighten hard to get a decent print/indent but it often skewed and scrunched the print especially when doing something quite wet like monotype or adding chine colle to a drypoint.

So I would say it could be too wet, but what you say makes sense adding another blanket would perhaps be the answer. The norm is to have 1-3 blankets I believe (could be wrong). I had just one with old press but new one has one thick and one thin.

Tell us how you get on.

ic.Art

…do buy an extra blanket or cut one or two out of an old bed blanket. I use a ‘blanket’ of thin, fine, dense foam as a top blanket at times to help with traction on the top roller.

It can slip sometimes with metal or plastic plates and finer papers so you do have to play with calibration and blankets but the process is very do-able. For lino, blue/green vinyl blocks and low relief collographs it works very well…

Hi Jen

Are you printing drypoint on plastic, or vinyl plate or lino?

With my little press I use a thin ‘blanket’ of fine EVA/dense craft foam over thin plates and papers instead of the felt. The metal ‘grips’ the foam and turns the roller and bed rather than getting stuck on the felt. I do also use one or two fine thin wool blankets at times (these are cut from an old bed blanket) to help change pressure settings as needed. Basically I treat the little RGM press with the same methods I use on my larger press.

Let us know your solution, be good for all small press users. Good luck

'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.' - Robert Henri

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.