WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2012, 04:35 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Re: spectrafix...the non-toxic fixative

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMAJI
I decided to put a pastel base color over the entire (sandart) paper before I started the painting and after 3 wet coats of Spectrafix I can still remove the pastel. So I will be getting pastel on my hand as I begin the portrait.........

Yes, even though fixatives help fix the pastel dust to the paper, they do not form a complete barrier by any means. Pastel dust can still be smudged, smeared and come off on your hand after fixing.

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2012, 05:02 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

EMMAJI, one thing I've done on sanded papers (most often Wallis) for many years is to scrub the pastel down into the tooth of the paper using a foam house painting brush. I use a fairly dark or staining color if I want more than a ghost of the color left.

Sometimes I put a layer of very dark color down and then spray with water and brush it in. When it's dry it's much more fixed in place, ready to paint over (and perhaps with a coating of SpectraFix might even be less inclined to come off). However, even then it has a tendency to smudge a tiny bit on your hand.

If I want a fixed colored ground behind something (again on sandpaper), I paint a layer of gouache. When it dries completely it has enough tooth for the pastel to adhere over it. It has the same kind of 'dusty looking' quality that pastel has, and the colors can be quite strong. Works like a charm!
Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
Gouache
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2012, 03:01 AM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMAJI
I decided to put a pastel base color over the entire (sandart) paper before I started the painting and after 3 wet coats of Spectrafix I can still remove the pastel. So I will be getting pastel on my hand as I begin the portrait.........

Also, even though the paper was taped down. it warped slightly.

So, methinks Spectrafix takes some experimenting, that's for sure............and is not a magical solution for everything...........

This begs the question.....WHY put down a pastel base colour before painting? You can never use a fix like varnish, to give you a perfectly dust-free surface, and you will fill up the tooth of the paper, even tho the fix will give yuo a bit more tooth back, it may not be enough.....so why not find another way of colouring the paper....if that is what you are determined to do? Deborah's suggestion of using gouache is a good one, because its matt finish is chalky and accepts pastels well. Kitty Wallis uses Createx Pure Pigments, which are waterbased. Watercolours are another option. I would not use acrylics because they are, essentially, plastic and used too heavily will clog the paper tooth and give you a slick surface, not good at all. You can use oil paint, thinned with plenty of turps to give you a runny wash. And I know there are stacks of posts here about the use of an alcohol-over-pastel thing. My choice would be inks or gouache or watercolour.

However, there are so many wonderful coloured surfaces around, both paper, and boards, which give you a great start. Unless you are sitting there with reams of white surface which you want to colour, there is really no need to give yourself a hard time by creating a surface which is then difficult to work on without smudging it!
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharma_bum
I've tried this stuff, but it always seems to apply very unevenly on the paper, with the sprayer creating blobs in some places, and leaving other areas untouched. Has anyone come up with a better application method? I have the 12 oz spray bottle, have also tried other fine mist bottles but with similar results. Has anyone tried the CO2 charged sprayers? I think they are called Preval or something like that.

Dan

I use the PreVal exclusively for my homemade fixative. It works wonderfully (a needle and/or hot water will unclog it if it does that), and is recyclable (no CFCs).

Btw, I saw Casey Klahn use Spectrafix on his LaCarte painting and the coating held!

Last edited by chuas2 : 04-15-2012 at 10:43 AM.