Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Studio Rosie – WIP

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    star fisher

This is Rosie. I need to do a bit more work on her and am waiting for the paper to dry before doing more painting. I will be making some value adjustments, adjusting shadows, and adding a bit of texture to the spots in her fur.

In real life her collar is red and the tags are bright blue. I’m not sure those colors are best for this painting and am considering choosing another color, particularly for her tags.

I am also considering whether to add a background, or leave it white.

Comments are welcome.

Mel

Kaylen

Its looking nice,,, I personally would put the tags she actually wears in if they are too distracting just neutralize them a bit,,,she looks like a sweet dog, is she yours or is this for someone?

Kaylen Savoie
            https://www.savoieartist.com/
            At least twice a year,paint something better than you ever painted before.

star fisher

Thanks, Kaylen. I like your idea to neutralize the colors of her collar and tags. Rosie is our dog, well actually my wife’s dog as they are seldom far from one another.

BlissC

I’d agree with Kaylen.

Personally I’d leave the background white. I think with her colouring, a background may detract from her. If you did go with a background I’d say something very pale and neutral. It may be difficult to find a colour that doesn’t detract from or swamp the painting with her colouring though.

Actually though, I’ve just had an idea. If you have some image editing software on your computer you could try adding in a background on the photo, which would give you an idea of how it would look without risking trying it on the painting and then wishing you’d not.

PS: she’s a beautiful dog! :thumbsup:

Rachel
                    C & C welcome!

"Living on the edge...trying to not fall off - and painting outside the lines!"
                    w/c nana8

Mel~ this is great! I agree with Rachel that a background may distract from the lovely image of Rosie. Kaylen’s idea of tags and collar neutralized is a good one. She looks like a devoted companion and sweet dog.

~ Carol

'We are too prone to engrave our trials on marble, and write our blessings in sand.' ~ Spurgeon
                        C&C appreciated

star fisher

A little more progress. I’ll have to let it sit for a while, the painting may be done. The muted colors for the collar and tags worked well, I think. Thanks, Kaylen.

Mel

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.