Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Is it possible making six figures with artdrawing? if so what are some careers ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    lilphilog

Hi i would like to know What are some six figure careers involving art, drawing ? Like is it even possible to make six figures with drawing and such?

What about freelance drawers/artist do they make six figures?

Please let me know if i put this thread in the wrong section, im new here:o

mame

I suggest you first learn how to make art – per your threads:
            “I want to learn how to draw…” in Drawing and Sketching and
            “I would like to learn how to paint” in Oil Painting

lilphilog

Yes i already know that i’m currently improving my drawing skills and also enrolling in this drawing school This weekend in washington,d.c. I was just asking…

mame

I’m just saying don’t worry about that yet. It will just get in the way of the art….. :)

Greg Long

Yes it is, but it is also possible to make 6 figures much more easily at other things. If you want six figures become a lawyer or a doctor, it’s much easier.

Horsa

I agree with the above. It is *possible* yes. It is not however *probable*.

Consider how many kids play pick up ball in their neighborhoods vs how many pro ball players actually make a living at it.

The easy and sure fire way to make a million as an artist? Start with two million and quit when it’s half gone.

My Painting Blog: http://adkpainter.blogspot.com/

This is our ART: useless, boring, impotent, elitist, and very, very beautiful.

CILYRCA

That is a good question for someone starting out – which direction do you go. I wish I knew what kinds of jobs there were for an artist who wanted to work for someone else and make a living. I would think that graphic designers make decent money but no where near six figures. Maybe designing logo’s or art for corporations as a freelancer would be good pay but how do you make them aware of “you” and your art? They probably have art departments as well. (Marketing is not my strong suit but if you are going into the biz of starving artist, you need to learn it.) Another area is designing greeting cards. I wish Maxine was my idea, I love those cards. Maybe someone else can expand on this. I have a corporate job to pay the bills and I paint for relaxation. The compnay I work for does have a graphics department but I don’t know what starting pay is. I am guessing in the 30’s.

Tattau

I probably make.. about a dozen or so figures a year. It depends if I can find the right models. :D

Artwork does not become "Art" until someone buys it... until then, it's just an obsession... and a storage problem.
                                    I welcome constructive critiques and comments from anyone and anywhere.
                                    My website

Bringer

I’ll just give some examples of artists (alive) who I suppose have a good income.

Paula Rego
                                        Damien Hirst
                                        Lucien Freud
                                        Jeff Koons
                                        Takashi Murakami

From these, the one that I like is Lucien Freud, and to paint like him, as we say here in Portugal, you still have to eat alot of bread with snot :-)

Read about it on my Blog

I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.

Bees-in-Art

Most who set out in the arts will end up as arts administrators or as teachers. If they stay in the arts at all. So it’s possible to make a decent living. And you will have transferable skills if you end up going in a different direction.

So the point of going to art school is to gain knowledge of art through the practice of making it. But within a month of graduating you’d only be one of a few of your fellow class mates to still be practicing – a year later, one of even less and so on. Very few practitioners make a living purely from making art.

You may then decide to go in a more commercial direction and take an illustration or graphics course. But even then there is much competition for few jobs in those fields.

But with your hands on experience of making art (and writing about art if you do an honours degree), you’ll be qualified to get a job within the arts.

I know 2 illustrators who make 6 figures. Their training as far as I know is in not only art but design and computer graphics. Yes, they both draw (and WELL!) but most of the work in the end is completed digitally. The work they do is completely to client spec, high end advertising type work usually. Most illustrators (they say) start out with an advertising or design agency first building a following and style and then if good enough they can go independent.

My question would be, why 6 figures? This sounds, please forgive me if I’m wrong, like a very young person question. If this is the case it’s a misdirected way to aim for a career imho. What if you could make 6 figures at accounting but hate it? But could make a sustainable 30K with art and love the work? Which would you choose?

Tina.

Abstract coast and geology art: www.tina-m.com | Art/Science gallery: www.grejczikgallery.com

Bringer

Picking on Tina’s post, indeed many high-skilled artists working in fine art have previously worked has illlustrators.
                                                Moreover, comics and illustration are often seen as a minor form of art. Well, I’d like to see many “fine artists” draw half as well.

Read about it on my Blog

CoolArtiste

I make tshirt designs for a living (designs printed on tshirts). I’m self employed. I made 5 figures last year. I’m proud of myself. I know I can make six figures in the near future and I will. The only reason I haven’t yet is because I was often lazy and spent most of my time doing other things instead of work. I could have been making six figures already if I had worked a normal amount of hours like a job. Still, I’m one of the better designers. 99.999% of people are very bad at making tshirt designs and make little or no money. Their ideas are terrible and their skills are woefully lacking. So it’s really more like I have the field all to myself and it’s up to me how much money I make. I know of a handful of designers who make over 80K or 90K per year, so that’s almost six figures. Then there are the most successful people in the tshirt business, who make millions per year. I guess the top guy right now is that French guy who owns the Ed Hardy brand. So even though I’m not at six figures yet, I’m still proud of myself for being able to support myself simply by making art, while many other people can’t. I really hate jobs because they treated me terribly. I love not having to have a job. I like coming up with ideas and making pretty designs that people will buy for their shirts.

If you want to make money, the most important thing you need to do is study the teachings of success gurus. I spent 3 years doing that every day and I still study their teachings sometimes. And I still use visualization, goal setting, hypnosis, and affirmations. I acquired over 100 books and CD’s about how to be successful. I was never able to succeed in anything before I studied these materials. They changed my life. My favorite success gurus are Brian Tracy, Napoleon Hill, and Harv Eker. Study them like your life depends on it if you want to succeed. But their teachings will work for you only as much as you do what they say. The more you do what they say, the more you’ll succeed. The opportunities are limitless for people who study success advice and apply it. I’m obsessed with money and I’ll do whatever it takes to make more money, preferably with art. Everybody needs money to live and enjoy life, and so do I. I’m happy with how things are going. I just need to work a little more and get to that magic six figure income.

Bringer

CoolArtiste said “I’m obsessed with money and I’ll do whatever it takes to make more money.”

This affirmation may sound cold hearted, but it’s usually an inherent characteristic of business successful people.
                                                        Which doesn’t mean that they won’t donate money for worthy causes.
                                                        Usually those who don’t give money and destroy fortunes are those who didn’t have to work to earn them.

José

Read about it on my Blog

waynetully1

Hi i would like to know What are some six figure careers involving art, drawing ? Like is it even possible to make six figures with drawing and such?

What about freelance drawers/artist do they make six figures?

Please let me know if i put this thread in the wrong section, im new here:o

Making that kind of money will take time, but it certainly is possible if you have the belief then anything’s possible. I don’t make six figures with my art, but I make a part time income at the moment through it. Combining your knowledge and expertise with the actual process of selling your art in various online places is a brilliant start in the right direction, but consider this.

The free promotional methods such as blogging about your expertise is one top way of gathering traffic and providing value to your intended audience, but what about other ways to try and provide value with teaching offline classes for free and then directing them to your site for further looks at maybe an ebook you’ve written or a paid ebook for that matter.

I suppose it’s all about income streams and building each one up to make a whole amount of income that could be six figures…..

The more you get yourself out there, anything is possible, don’t be shy, don’t get scared of showing who you are online or offline, we are all here for a purpose and that’s what life is all about, enjoying it if possible and finding your life goals that make you happy!

:clap:

Wayne Tully - Horror Concepts

My youtube channel Art Channel :wave:
                                                          Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                                          • The topic ‘Is it possible making six figures with artdrawing? if so what are some careers ?’ is closed to new replies.