Home Forums Explore Subjects Art Journals Supplies while sketchingjournaling – version 2

• This topic has 2,511 replies, 98 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by .
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 2,510 total)
  • Author
    Debby

We have a sketchbook review thread. But, it takes more than a book or pad of paper to make a sketchbook or journal come to life. So, what we’d like to see here is whether you go out and about or sit in your “studio” what do you have with you?

Words are great, as are lists, but pictures of what you have would be awesome. Some people have shown their kits complete with what they carry it in, in other threads. It would be great to see them all together here. So, if you’ve posted elsewhere (chatting, in a journal thread, “off” topic elsewhere) can you please post them again here?

If you don’t take your sketchbook/journal out into the world, that’s fine too. Show us your set up. Is it a tin of pencil and the book and your recliner? Or do you have a messy desk and just grab pens and pencils? In all cases, we’d love to see what you work with. :)

(Now I have to get a picture of mine. :rolleyes:)

Debby
        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Darci Jones

Oh, fun. . . I have a bunch of different set ups to take photos of and am eager to see everyone else’s too!!! YAY!

Here is my case that I take to work or wherever I am going. . . my portable set up. Various pens (pilot, micron, stabilo, etc.) a couple pencils, waterbrush, eraser, tortillion.

Elain

Fun indeed. I’m one of the messy ones. You can see Janika’s journal for IFJM on the desk. I use the computer screen a lot for copying my photos.

Other art supplies go on the floor – pastels, coloured pencils in holders, CaranD’ache watersoluble pastels, whatever I am using at the time.

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Elain
                [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]
                [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]www.nzflutterby.blogspot.com

Davkin

How’s this for boring?

These are my sketching work horses. From left to right. Black V5 Pilot Precise fine pen, Twist-Erase 0.5 mechanical pencil with HB lead, Twist-erase 0.9 mechanical pencil with HB lead, Staedler 2mm clutch pencil with HB lead, Tuff Stuff eraser stick.

I do plan on expanding my sketching arsenal soon however, maybe even into colored pencil territory! :eek:

David

David

Davkin

When I’m not sketching outside or in the recliner while watching TV I’m working here;

David

Debby

Rainy, great little kit for on the go.

Elain, looks like a place for genius. (Neatness being a sign of insanity. :lol:)

David, like the simple kit you’ve got. But, yes, colored pencils can be so much fun. :D

Thank you all for sharing. (Or is that y’all? :wink2:)

Debby
                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

mhimeswc

Elain, yours is neat compared to mine. Mine is to scarey to take a photo. LOL

Thanks for the new thread Debby.

Perhaps the mods might like to move my posting showing my portable kit to this thread and away from https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13515102&page=6 ?

Cheers,

Dale

Here’s my kit. All fits into a large pencil case which cost me about $4. It has three zippered compartments, each one deeper than its neighbouring one. Was just using it when I knocked off to check mail and have a coffee.

Captions self explanatory I think. Love the old Holbein tin of watercolours as it is so flat and compact yet holding 12 colours. Less bulky than some other brands. I’ve had it for about 25 years and it had never been used until a week or so ago. A set of kiddies paints could have the colours dug out and the spaces refilled with squirts of artist quality tube watercolours if you could not find anything as compact as my old Holbein set. The tube paint dries to firm in a couple of days.

[IMG]https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/../Community/images/19-Apr-2011/64337-sketchinbg_kit_sm.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/../Community/images/19-Apr-2011/64337-sketchinbg_kit_zipped.jpg[/IMG]

Cheers,

Dale

Dale :clear:
                                C & C always welcome.

CandAlArt

Debby! Thanks for starting up this thread! It caught on immediately, & I am enjoying the variety of stuff. Elain’s makes me feel normal with my on & off piles, and Dave also inspires me to streamline. Good stuff to see & think about.

Candace
                                    Runs With Scissors

Elain

Oh David, that table with all that clear calls out to me to fill it up with all manner of paper and supplies. It would inspire me to create. I would love to walk into my room and see that space.
                                        Alas, I never quite get there even when I make an effort to tidy. While I’m tidying I get sidetracked into making more art. Always several works in progress.

Michelle, you can always take a photo of part of it. Notice, I didn’t show the floor LOL.

Rainy and David, I like your kits for on the go.

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Elain
                                        [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]
                                        [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]www.nzflutterby.blogspot.com

Davkin

Elain, I have to have a fairly tidy and open area or I freeze up. I can’t do anything when my space is cluttered, I’m just a bit OCD in that respect.

Within the next couple days I’m going to attempt to make a custom carrying pouch for outdoor sketching using just foamcore and duct tape. I’ll take in process photos just in case it works out so I can share the process. I’ve never found any carrying case that comes even close to being ideal so I’ve decided to make the perfect case for graphite sketching and if that works out I’ll make more designed specifically for other sketching media.

David

David

Studio-1-F

Cool thread! I love seeing other folks’ sketch kits. Mine is below, shown gaping open. The pens are a constantly rotating group, depending on which are currently my favs. (The ‘Wite-Out’ is a great way to add pure white highlights to sketches on tinted paper. Love it!)

The bag is the PackRat Organizer, made by Spec-Ops, but available at a lot of places. The outside dimensions are approximately, 7-1/2″ x 10″ x 2″. My everyday sketchbook (about 7″ x 8″) fits snugly inside it.

More general and specific info here.

Jan

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Davkin

Well Jan, that’s a slick setup that holds just about everything! More details about the watercolor kit please? Are any of your pens the kind that wash once and then set, so you can apply more washes without disturbing the first?

David

David

sarales

Jan, I followed the link to your blog and it’s a WEALTH of travel sketching information! I can’t wait to finish my responsibities today so I can settle in and start exploring. Thanks so much for posting.

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Leslie
                                                        [FONT=Palatino Linotype]Visit my website.
                                                        [FONT=Palatino Linotype]Please sign up to get my emails.
                                                        [FONT=Palatino Linotype]Find me on Facebook.

Darci Jones

Jan, great kit. . . Dave and Elain, cool set ups.

Jan, do your fountain pens ever leak in your bag? Since I had a preppy make a huge mess in my bag I have limited my pens to non-fountain type just in case. Although I admit that I have never had my Lamy leak at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 2,510 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.